Chicago car crash- 4 dead, SUV cut in half

Golfingboy

Just saw this online, happened in a Chicago suburb a few days ago. Apparently, the 17 year old driver (who’s been charged) wanted to impress his friends by speeding up near a crest to get his Mercedes ML airborne. He ended up hitting a tree, splitting the car as shown, killing 4 of the other 5 teen passengers, including a pair of brothers. 

Bloody tragedy, how can this be the result of a single vehicle crash in a residential area? Blows my mind…..RIP to the victims and their families

FB3DFC47-0F56-464E-83F8-4528088FF5FD.jpeg

E8A2D14F-D087-4114-AD56-59E5608F4ABC.jpeg

Edited by Golfingboy
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Freee!! said:

I don't recognize the brand of the car, but to get that kind of cut in a car, it would need to have hit the tree (or other obstacle) sideways at a very high speed.

I think the OP report indicates a level of achieving high speed, guy wanted to go airborne.

2 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

I think the OP report indicates a level of achieving high speed, guy wanted to go airborne.

Read the report, high speed and airborne I got, but with the front of the remains pointing straight at the tree, I just don't understand the direction of the cut.

2 minutes ago, Freee!! said:

Read the report, high speed and airborne I got, but with the front of the remains pointing straight at the tree, I just don't understand the direction of the cut.

Without doing the maths, it seems to me that once the car was airborne, the gyroscopic effect of the spinning crankshaft/flywheel/gearbox etc and also of the spinning drive wheels would cause the car to twist in midair, so hitting the tree sideways would be qiite possible.

As for believing it, I'd believe anything of a seventeen-year-old driving a fast car.

It is indeed an absolute tragedy.

33 minutes ago, Freee!! said:

If he had hit the tree head on at high speed then it would have pushed the engine into the bulkhead. It's probably taken off and on landing he has lost control and the car has spun into the tree. Thus the impact primarily in the side causing a shearing action. Cars are built to take large impacts from the front and rear, but are very vulnerable if hit in the side. 

Very sad.

RIP 

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

I once worked a double fatal accident. It occurred near the end of a 10 hour shift which had followed an eight hour overtime detail (home football game, 70,000 capacity).

When I arrived the vehicle (a Honda Civic) was wrapped around a giant oak tree which was a few feet from the side of the road (a two lane rural road which connected two main roads). As I approached the vehicle I discovered two bodies (white males, 19 yoa, college students). The driver was decapitated.

I looked into the remains of the damaged vehicle and observed several small (airline size) bottles of Yagermiester and several empty beer cans. The air reeked of shit and Yagermiester. 

A few more hours later after photos, video tape, measurements, and other evidence collection. The bodies and destroyed vehicle were then removed. The vehicle was so badly damaged that it was difficult to identify the make. The initial investigation took a few more hours. Fortunately I didn't have to notify the parents (that is always the worst part of any case), the coroner was kind enough to do that.

I have handled many difficult and gruesome cases/scenes over thirty years, but that is one of the most horrific. 

That was a long day. I'll never forget it.

• Sad 5

Back in the late '80s there was a young fellow in the small northern town I was living in that bought himself a C4 Corvette and would make high speed drives up and down our mostly deserted northern highways - he'd had warnings from the local plod after complaints from other drivers but it didn't stop him. One day he and a buddy came around a corner at high speed in the middle of nowhere and hit a wet dip in the road - the car lost traction and plowed into the bush sideways, mowing over small trees in its path until coming to a rest about 200' off of the highway. The first person to come along was an off-duty police officer and friend of mine, and she told me that when she walked into where the car was, the two guys were sitting in the demolished car without a mark on them - but had been killed instantly when the impact with the trees snapped their necks...

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, maipenrai said:

Back in the late '80s there was a young fellow in the small northern town I was living in that bought himself a C4 Corvette and would make high speed drives up and down our mostly deserted northern highways - he'd had warnings from the local plod after complaints from other drivers but it didn't stop him. One day he and a buddy came around a corner at high speed in the middle of nowhere and hit a wet dip in the road - the car lost traction and plowed into the bush sideways, mowing over small trees in its path until coming to a rest about 200' off of the highway. The first person to come along was an off-duty police officer and friend of mine, and she told me that when she walked into where the car was, the two guys were sitting in the demolished car without a mark on them - but had been killed instantly when the impact with the trees snapped their necks...

Shame about the buddy, but Karma is a lovely bitch.

8 hours ago, Glasseye said:

I once worked a double fatal accident. It occurred near the end of a 10 hour shift which had followed an eight hour overtime detail (home football game, 70,000 capacity).

When I arrived the vehicle (a Honda Civic) was wrapped around a giant oak tree which was a few feet from the side of the road (a two lane rural road which connected two main roads). As I approached the vehicle I discovered two bodies (white males, 19 yoa, college students). The driver was decapitated.

I looked into the remains of the damaged vehicle and observed several small (airline size) bottles of Yagermiester and several empty beer cans. The air reeked of shit and Yagermiester. 

A few more hours later after photos, video tape, measurements, and other evidence collection. The bodies and destroyed vehicle were then removed. The vehicle was so badly damaged that it was difficult to identify the make. The initial investigation took a few more hours. Fortunately I didn't have to notify the parents (that is always the worst part of any case), the coroner was kind enough to do that.

I have handled many difficult and gruesome cases/scenes over thirty years, but that is one of the most horrific. 

That was a long day. I'll never forget it.

Any first responder has a very tough job, God bless. There was a horrible incident in 2008 near Winnipeg, where a schizophrenic Chinese-Canadian man stabbed, and cannibalized, an innocent passenger on a Greyhound bus. I believe within 5 years, two responders took their own lives. The pay check can be decent I’m sure, but some shit you just cannot unsee, it haunts you forever

Worst part is, this sicko is already totally free, trusted by the law to take his own meds, living under a new name. I have lots of sympathy for the mentally ill, but that is one man who should have stayed behind a locked door for good

Edited by Golfingboy
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

Your eyesight is far far better than mine .... can you see the number plate? .. Lottery in a week's time ...

It is an ML series, that egg shaped SUV….when I saw the second photo, thought it was a Dodge minivan

Edited by Golfingboy

2 minutes ago, Golfingboy said:

Any first responder has a very tough job, God bless. There was a horrible incident in 2008 near Winnipeg, where a schizophrenic Chinese-Canadian man stabbed, and cannibalized, an innocent passenger on a Greyhound bus. I believe within 5 years, two responders took their own lives. The pay check can be decent I’m sure, but some shit you just cannot unsee, it haunts you forever

About a year before I was first hired there was an incident that occurred in the "family housing" (mostly foreign married students, many with children) area.

A mother stabbed to death her two young children with a large butcher knife, one of them was a young infant. 

I worked with two of the officers who came upon the scene and dealt with it for over twenty years.

**** Difficult to comprehend the effect how such things weigh on people, and how some are able to cope while others seem to lose grip. One of those things that I will never be able to fully understand. 

• Great Info 1