Natural Disasters - Everywhere These Days

lazarus

Big rains here on the USA West Coast...

https://www.sfchronicle.com/weather/article/S-F-Bay-Area-weather-live-updates-Track-the-16558095.php#photo-21613557

Bay Area storm rated third-strongest since 1950: The storm soaking the Bay Area on Sunday was tied as the third-strongest since 1950 on the Bay Area Storm Index, and the strongest in 26 years, according to Jan Null, a meteorologist who runs Golden Gate Weather Services. The index is based on 24-hour rainfall at the official National Weather Service site in downtown San Francisco, the maximum sustained wind at San Francisco International Airport, and the highest wind gust at elevations below 1,500 feet in the nine Bay Area counties. According to Null, the strongest storm since 1950 occurred on Dec. 12, 1995, rating 10 on the index. The second strongest, rating 9.8, was on Dec. 22, 1955. Sunday’s storm, rated 9.7, was tied for third place with two others, which occurred on Oct. 12, 1962, and Dec. 11, 1995. For more information on the index, go here: https://ggweather.com/basi.htm

rawImage.jpg

Pablo Paredes and his wife Teresa walk with belongings as they evacuate their home at an apartment building in Santa Rosa, Calif. on Sunday, Oct. 24, 2021. Deemed by meteorologist as an “atmospheric river,” a series of rain storms continues to drench the Bay Area making it one of the biggest storms of the year.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This one is fucking massive....

I was working when a big one hit years ago. I can't even begin to describe what a cluster f**k that was. One of the most difficult things is the vulnerability of communication systems - they all go down. You are in the middle of a major nightmare and cannot get through to anybody. Scary as hell. Really leaves a lifelong lasting impression.

3 hours ago, Evil Penevil said:

Last I saw, the confirmed death toll was 80 from U.S.tornados, but authorities fear it will go above 100.  Kentucky was the state hardest hit, with 90% of the deaths so far.

This is the worst footage of a tornado's aftermath I've ever seen:

Utter devastation - like a bloody nuclear bomb went off....

54 minutes ago, maipenrai said:

Utter devastation - like a bloody nuclear bomb went off....

It's one of those things that just floors you when you see it in real life. No comparison to T,V, Everything, and I mean everything completely destroyed that is in it's wake. Trees even stripped of their bark. 

Hurricanes are bad, but more so because they last so long. But, nothing comes close to the power of a tornado. I'd take a hurricane any day over a tornado. 

13 hours ago, Glasseye said:

This one is fucking massive....

I was working when a big one hit years ago. I can't even begin to describe what a cluster f**k that was. One of the most difficult things is the vulnerability of communication systems - they all go down. You are in the middle of a major nightmare and cannot get through to anybody. Scary as hell. Really leaves a lifelong lasting impression.

I was surprised to read reports of trapped people using their phones to call for help. One lady used Facebook Live to call for help. Perhaps the area had buried communication lines and there was a WiFi router nearby that survived so some could still get a signal.

Woman trapped in candle factory posts desperate plea for help on Facebook Live

I couldn’t believe what I saw yesterday on CNN. I’m no meteorologist, but I always thought twisters hit in late summer,and further south like Oklahoma. But 2 weeks before Xmas, that far North……

What an awful event, I’m sure 1000’s of families are affected in some way, and during the holidays to boot…..

1 hour ago, Golfingboy said:

I couldn’t believe what I saw yesterday on CNN. I’m no meteorologist, but I always thought twisters hit in late summer,and further south like Oklahoma. But 2 weeks before Xmas, that far North……

What an awful event, I’m sure 1000’s of families are affected in some way, and during the holidays to boot…..

The pitfalls of climate change. You will see all kinds of freaky weather events from here on out.