Natural Disasters - Everywhere These Days

lazarus

@JonesHowdareyou
·
1h
Just spoke to Lord Howe Island residents—

There has been no evacuation.

The tsunami sucked the lagoon dry, exposed the reef, & returned the water up to the grass fringe on beach.

Everyone on LHI is just fine & going about their usual business. No drama.

LHI in 'better times' -

04_NaturalAnomalies__LordHoweIsland_shut

7e90c602d4c13f331bbd3a462d4fc67deeedaa91

Edited by Zeb
  • Thumbs Up 2

the im

Translated from Japanese by
Himawari 8 band 8( 6.2 μm from 16:10 to 20:50 on January 15) Taking the difference (10 minutes) between the front and back frames from the image of the upper water vapor, it is 20:00 Japan time. The arrival of the sonic boom (?) due to the volcanic eruption of the Tonga Islands around 40 minutes could be visualized. What is interesting is that you can see the patterns of concentric circles in multiple layers.

age of the upper water vapor, it is 20:00 Japan time. The arrival of the sonic boom (?) due to the volcanic eruption of the Tonga Islands around 40 minutes could be visualized. What is interesting is that you can see the patterns of concentric circles in multiple

Edited by lazarus

Article with some good before and after pictures of the devastation caused by the Tonga eruption.

Tonga tsunami: Before and after eruption

What's interesting in this series of pictures is the volcanic crater had collapsed in on itself a couple of hours prior to the eruption to the point where it was no longer above sea level. A lot of force trapped below that was suddenly released in the eruption. No wonder the effects were felt thousands of km's away.

_122874253_sat_comparison_tonga_v3_640_2x-nc.jpg

• Surprised 2

Good article with up to date information and details regarding relief efforts:

Three Of Tonga’s Smaller Islands Badly Damaged By Tsunami; Concerns Mount Within Bay Area Tongan Community

https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2022/01/19/three-of-tongas-smaller-islands-badly-damaged-by-tsunami-concerns-mount-among-bay-area-tongan-community/

... Communications have been down throughout Tonga since the eruption on Saturday, but a ship made it to the outlying islands of Nomuka, Mango and Fonoifua on Wednesday, and reported back that few homes remain standing after settlements were hit with 49 foot-high waves, said Katie Greenwood, the head of delegation in the Pacific for the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies, which had two people aboard the vessel to help assess the damage.

“Very unfortunate information has come to light overnight about the three islands that we were really worried about — that they have all suffered devastating consequences as an effect of these incoming waves,” she told The Associated Press in an interview from Fiji. “Most of the structures and dwellings on those islands have been completely destroyed.” ...

----------------------------------------

https://www.worldatlas.com/maps/tonga

to-01.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/4/2022 at 2:55 PM, lazarus said:

A few years back (heck, I don't know maybe 10 years ago). Similar thing happened on I-40 in the mountains of Western North Carolina. Absolute clusterfuck. Took weeks before they could open it up.

• 4 weeks later...

More of an inconvenience than a disaster, but yesterday a part of this clay hillside gave way and blocked one of the two major access roads into my town; they've had to clean the bottom of these cliffs every year from clay oozing down into the ditch, indeed there are railroad tracks at the bottom of the cliffs that haven't been in use since 1982 but had to be cleared often when the railroad was running. This is the first major slide we have ever seen here, though, and it may have something to do with the record snowfalls this past winter - of course now they have to clean it up and do engineering studies, etc. so we've been promised that it'll be a few days before it's reopened  to traffic again - not a route I take often but it's going to  cause a lot of congestion on the other route until it is cleared and judged safe again:

279488184_10166119782260527_533614456009049325_n.jpg

3 minutes ago, maipenrai said:

More of an inconvenience than a disaster, but yesterday a part of this clay hillside gave way and blocked one of the two major access roads into my town; they've had to clean the bottom of these cliffs every year from clay oozing down into the ditch, indeed there are railroad tracks at the bottom of the cliffs that haven't been in use since 1982 but had to be cleared often when the railroad was running. This is the first major slide we have ever seen here, though, and it may have something to do with the record snowfalls this past winter - of course now they have to clean it up and do engineering studies, etc. so we've been promised that it'll be a few days before it's reopened  to traffic again - not a route I take often but it's going to  cause a lot of congestion on the other route until it is cleared and judged safe again:

279488184_10166119782260527_533614456009049325_n.jpg

Feel lucky. 

A few years back there was a major rock slide on I-40 in the Smokies (just east of the Tenn. border). It was massive and shut down both lanes for months.

That was my usual travel route coming from Illinois to NC. The first encounter caused hours of delay on that trip. Following that I just came down from the North to avoid the entire mess.

Poor folks who lived near that slide really got f***d hard. I guess though it gave them more time for squirrel hunting. lol