Natural Disasters - Everywhere These Days

lazarus

I used to live in "tornado alley" (Illinois). Saw some amazing shit over the years. Including seeing a small town roughly thirty minutes from where I lived at the time basically flattened. Entire town of a couple thousand people more or less wiped out.

But.... in the early 80's my parents moved to North Carolina. I forgot what hurricane it was (I think Fran) came through in the 90's. Man o man the vast devastation of those things is incredible. 

I moved out to NC in 2011. Every year I would watch those hurricane reports like a hawk. I got lucky and missed out on all of the big ones. If you are in the path of those things you are f***d.

I am really glad to be out of those areas now, as they are only getting worse.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Glasseye said:

I used to live in "tornado alley" (Illinois). Saw some amazing shit over the years. Including seeing a small town roughly thirty minutes from where I lived at the time basically flattened. Entire town of a couple thousand people more or less wiped out.

But.... in the early 80's my parents moved to North Carolina. I forgot what hurricane it was (I think Fran) came through in the 90's. Man o man the vast devastation of those things is incredible. 

I moved out to NC in 2011. Every year I would watch those hurricane reports like a hawk. I got lucky and missed out on all of the big ones. If you are in the path of those things you are f***d.

I am really glad to be out of those areas now, as they are only getting worse.

Some places are just not meant to be inhabited by human beings. Tornado Alley, Hurricane Coast and large parts of California come to mind.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/24/2022 at 8:31 AM, Glasseye said:

Been watching the mess in Phuket. Looks pretty serious, especially for anyone thinking of going there any time soon.

All repaired and back to normal mate. They Don't f**k about here on the island where money is involved. 

5 hours ago, boydeste said:

All repaired and back to normal mate. They Don't f**k about here on the island where money is involved. 

Very good news. That must be a different road where I saw much of the entire mountainside that had slid out from below.

8 hours ago, Glasseye said:

Very good news. That must be a different road where I saw much of the entire mountainside that had slid out from below.

6 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

Latest news is the road is still impassable, except for a few intrepid souls that are risking a trip on the undamaged side of the road.

Phuket highway repair to cost B5m

image.png

Not too sure, but the usual road into Patong was destroyed in the flood and the alternative mountain route took 5 hours to the airport.

I came in the normal way which took around an hour with traffic,  so they must have done some temporary repair or it's another road that got damaged too.

Either way Patong is accessible now.

The notice is still up in the hotel.

20221026_144247.jpg

Edited by boydeste
  • Like 1
  • Great Info 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Big snow year in the California Sierra Nevada Mountains...

Capturesn1.JPG

Capturesnow2.JPG

Carson Spur on Highway 88 in CA today! Nearby @kirkwoodmtn has seen 163" (407cm) of snow since January 1. Carson Spur is currently closed. "Route 88 currently is closed from Peddler Hill to the east side of the Carson Spur due to snow removal. There is no ETO." - @caltransd10 today

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...