Natural Disasters - Everywhere These Days

lazarus

On 1/31/2023 at 2:50 AM, lazarus said:

"California tumbles into the sea..."

Wow on the Blacks Beach collapse. In the late 1990s I had a favorita at the Chicago Club in Tijuana. We actually became close friends and she would take a week off of work, when I decided to vacation for a week in TJ or San Diego.

When I was there on shorter trips, I would cross the border (this was before 9/11) and I would do day hiking trips in SoCal. On Sunday afternoons, I would park near Torrey Pines and walk the beach towards La Jolla. One would often see dolphins cresting just off shore. Really beautiful.

Obviously, this had me walking Blacks Beach and it's formidable collection of characters. 🙂

• Thumbs Up 2

• 2 weeks later...

Sad how many have lost their lives from the earthquake.
Earthquake death toll passes 46,000; desperation for signs of life

Good drone footage of the olive field that was split in half by the earthquake. May very well be there's a fault line in the area, but looks more like the collapse of an extensive underground river/cave system.

The shot at 2:13 of a huge overturned section of ground you can see how porous and undercut the ground was.
Screen Shot 02-19-23 at 09.44 AM.JPG

• Surprised 1

2 hours ago, maipenrai said:

Cyclone Gabrielle has apparently caused havoc in New Zealand - Stickman has a short account of what's been happening in his own area of NZ over the last few days instead of his usual weekly report. 

Yes some areas are expected to be cut off for about a month like the east cape there is only one road around the coast inland is rugged very steep hills that is marginal sheep country  

Hawks bay just south of there huge horticultural area and the slash from the forestry up in the hills washed down took out bridges and whole orchards 

• 4 weeks later...

I've spent time in this part of California all through my life. The last time I passed through Mono Lake I spent the night and got up early to photograph the sun rising over the lake. Incredible landscape.

Crazy amounts of snow this year. Good thing there's a USMC training facility right there...lots of helicopters!

. . .

Monster avalanche buries major California highway, cutting off these Sierra communities for weeks

https://www.sfchronicle.com/california/article/avalanche-highway-395-mono-lake-17839823.php#photo-23578815

Screenshot 2023-03-17 162625.jpg

_________________________________________--

Pics from the last trip...

15801639256_1a7ce70fbb_o.jpg

15638316537_1691b79f1f_o.jpg

• Like 2

Big storm here in San Francisco a few days back...unprecedented:

Tuesday's Storm Being Called 'Once In a Lifetime' and 'Extremely Unusual' By Meteorologists

https://sfist.com/2023/03/22/tuesdays-storm-being-called-once-in-a-lifetime-and/

"Some 700 trees came down in San Francisco alone, and the storm resulted in at least five deaths locally, all from falling trees."

Including a big one next to my house (see photos below).

20230321_165953.jpg

20230321_165955.jpg

20230321_170547.jpg

20230321_170938.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Here we go again - another landslide on one of our two major entry routes into our small city; last year the hill gave way a little further south and the authorities mucked around for six weeks before the road was open for traffic again. I just missed the event myself - two nights ago I was headed out of downtown in the wee hours on my night time security job when I noticed an approaching car driving a little strangely - when I  got closer I saw the landslide blocking my lane with debris scattered into the opposite lane; after I got around it and cleared the area I phoned the cops who showed up pronto and closed that section of road at both ends:

landslide-whitehorse-2023.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Surprised 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

On a less dramatic scale the shite weather in the UK during July and August has apparently been caused by the jet stream flowing south of the UK and dragging down cold, wet weather.

A weather expert I just read stated we are really lucky as it saved us from the hot weather being experienced by much of Europe.

Lucky?

Fucking experts!

Shoot the lot of them.

• Haha 3

On 8/11/2023 at 11:23 PM, Glasseye said:

Very nasty !

I spoke with my buddy a week after the fire. He didn't lose his house but the fire burned most of the trees on the 3 acres around it. The paint was blistered and the house filled with ash. He was relieved but said he had a big job ahead getting his home back together.

He said the firefighters were "great"...

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, lazarus said:

I spoke with my buddy a week after the fire. He didn't lose his house but the fire burned most of the trees on the 3 acres around it. The paint was blistered and the house filled with ash. He was relieved but said he had a big job ahead getting his home back together.

He said the firefighters were "great"...

Must be crushing to have to deal with that clean up. I don't know how I could get through it. 

I've worked a lot of arson cases. The smell is unbelievable. Best of luck to him. Even if somehow the smell one day disippates it sticks in your memory. The brain has powerful smell memory, can be emotional even.

Hats off to the first responders who had to deal with that. Same with any major disaster. It's unfortunate that because of massive irresponsibility they had to confront such a disaster. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

45 minutes ago, Glasseye said:

Off to the races !

Horrendous,  I was once in the Philippines when two typhoons hit and we had an earthquake. 

Scarry shit for sure.

Nature can be your best friend,  but can be your worst energy too!

3 hours ago, boydeste said:

Horrendous,  I was once in the Philippines when two typhoons hit and we had an earthquake. 

Scarry shit for sure.

Nature can be your best friend,  but can be your worst energy too!

I was working a night shift when a tornado hit. Took out a small chunk of the adjacent town. Then it moved on and virtually demolished a small town about 20 minutes east of there.

Shut down communications completely for over an hour. I couldn't even get through dispatch by phone.

Months later we received "specialized" training on tornados (of course always after the fact....). My captain did the training. He was telling us that when reports are high that tornado activity is in the area that we should go out and look for funnel activity as spotters. I literally told him to fcuk off. He had no clue of the violence that occurred and the related fear/mass confusion. How in the fcuk are we going to respond to calls for service if we are out in the middle of a damn cornfield and get trashed. 

As frightening as that was nothing is as scary to me as the feeling of an earthquake when in a high rise building. I felt a big one once in Costa Rica and almost puked from the fear. I'll admit it. 

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...