Siambury's on the Darkside

CampariO

Did my weekly shopping and twice a month I stock up on food from Siambury`s.

Maybe I never checked all the fridges very carfully or they now have added some stuff from Italy:

IMG20210727171219.jpg

What a delight.

IMG20210727182142.jpg

No more Salami from the Friendship daylight robbers.

Edited by CampariO
  • Like 5
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, CampariO said:

Did my weekly shopping and twice a month I stock up on food from Siambury`s.

Maybe I never checked all the fridges very carfully or they now have added some stuff form Italy:

IMG20210727171219.jpg

What a delight.

IMG20210727182142.jpg

No more Salami from the Friendship daylight robbers.

Looks lovely but delicious foods like that are off my heart friendly food list in that quantity. Great to have a good choice though. Enjoy.

2 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

I  buggered up my calf muscles tabbing up Khao Talo so stopped using the place. Instead I sometimes use https://expatfoodsthailand.com/shop/ It has a few Siamburies items ...

Nothing like a good bit of exercise but you don't have transport?

Sounds like Siamburi's is worth the visit.  When I lived in Hua Hin there were a few places I had to visit for British goods or quality meats, both were outside my idea of a walking tour.

On 7/27/2021 at 8:03 PM, Derek Dangleberries said:

I  buggered up my calf muscles tabbing up Khao Talo so stopped using the place. Instead I sometimes use https://expatfoodsthailand.com/shop/ It has a few Siamburies items ...

I thought I'd check them out, but can't seem to register.  They sent me a password, but it keeps taking me back to the Login page.  So I said I lost my password and it  let me set my own, but the same thing happens.

I sent a reply email explaining it.  Hopefully it'll be sorted out soon.

1 minute ago, tko said:

I thought I'd check them out, but can't seem to register.  They sent me a password, but it keeps taking me back to the Login page.  So I said I lost my password and it  let me set my own, but the same thing happens.

I sent a reply email explaining it.  Hopefully it'll be sorted out soon.

Yep, I find their website and ordering process is a few steps behind Britishop but once you get in and work around the process there is much more available ( For the farang stuff that I buy anyway)

• 1 year later...

TBH, Siamburies isnt quite as it used to be for me, I can find same stuff in many shops now and so their novelty has worn off.  still a nice clean and large shop, but I alternate from one shop to another and you would be surprised on availabaility and price differences

43 minutes ago, tommy dee said:

TBH, Siamburies isnt quite as it used to be for me, I can find same stuff in many shops now and so their novelty has worn off.  still a nice clean and large shop, but I alternate from one shop to another and you would be surprised on availabaility and price differences

Yup, FEVER is on one of my walking routes so I sometimes pop in there too.

The thing with Siamburys is the free delivery for bulk shopping.

3 hours ago, tommy dee said:

Can you name the other shops? Beside Friendship, Foodland, Foodmart near View Talay 1 and the overpriced Tops I know only MG Asia nearby Sämis Restaurant which is a bit smallish and M&A Foodshop on Siam Country Club road.

Then there is the tiny Huay Yai Corner store which never has what I need in stock.

Fever is a bit off my shopping route.

Edited by CampariO

There's a couple of expat food shops up Pratumnak way and one on Soi Siam Country Club road as well as two branches of Fever on/just off Bongkot and a more upmarket deli on Bongkot too.

Siamburis is still top of my list.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 11/9/2022 at 8:58 AM, CampariO said:

Can you name the other shops? Beside Friendship, Foodland, Foodmart near View Talay 1 and the overpriced Tops I know only MG Asia nearby Sämis Restaurant which is a bit smallish and M&A Foodshop on Siam Country Club road.

Then there is the tiny Huay Yai Corner store which never has what I need in stock.

Fever is a bit off my shopping route.

I value quality over price to some extent. That's just me.

In addition to the places that you mention, I shop frequently at Villa Market near The Avenues on Pattaya Second Road. They are one of the better places at stocking American goods.

I use several online places for beef products. These are not cheap, but the quality is good.

https://www.sloanes.co.th/product/skirt/

https://britishop.com/

https://smokeymountainfoods.com/

Retail stores of note IMO are:

Italian Deli only open Noon to 5. On Jomtien Second Road near soi 5. Very good fresh products.

https://www.facebook.com/italianodeli/

The Pantry - Jomtien near where Thappraya makes the turn toward Jomtien Beach Road. Not as big as Siamburi, but a similar approach and for me much more convenient location.

I have heard that the manager of The Pantry was the former manager of Hemingway's, back when they had edible food. Also heard recently that the former manager of Laong's (used to be located at Jomtien 2nd Road and soi 9 (loved their rib nights)) is back in Thailand and taking over as the manager of Hemingway's. Maybe that will get that place turned around.

https://www.facebook.com/thepantryjomtien/

• Great Info 2

• 5 months later...

Anybody can recommend a good frozen Indian curry? Used to buy at Siambury's but I believe they ran out of the brand I liked so much. Now had a Madras from Mughal, very spicy and otherwise bland. The Tikka Masala wasn't much better, at least could eat without getting any blisters on my tongue.

• Great Info 1

41 minutes ago, CampariO said:

Anybody can recommend a good frozen Indian curry? Used to buy at Siambury's but I believe they ran out of the brand I liked so much. Now had a Madras from Mughal, very spicy and otherwise bland. The Tikka Masala wasn't much better, at least could eat without getting any blisters on my tongue.

You could try Fon's on Theprasit soi 5/1. I used to use her for pies and Mexican chilli but she also does curries too. Historically it was owned by Big Jim (?) that died about 15 years ago but his staff continued with the same recipes.

In the end she became quite unreliable because she would insist she had an item in but 30 minutes later "the cupboard was bare". I think that she became too successful and started to spend too much time upcountry.

If you give it a try let me know the outcome.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

You could try Fon's on Theprasit soi 5/1. I used to use her for pies and Mexican chilli but she also does curries too. Historically it was owned by Big Jim (?) that died about 15 years ago but his staff continued with the same recipes.

In the end she became quite unreliable because she would insist she had an item in but 30 minutes later "the cupboard was bare". I think that she became too successful and started to spend too much time upcountry.

If you give it a try let me know the outcome.

What do you mean by Mexican Chilli? Peppers or the cooked Chilli dish? One can substitute local chillis for the heat Mexican peppers here in Pattaya, but I have never seen the dried savory peppers (Ancho and New Mexico) anywhere in the Pattaya area.

Edited by ChiFlyer

2 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:

What do you mean by Mexican Chilli? Peppers or the cooked Chilli dish? One can substitute local chillis for the heat Mexican peppers here in Pattaya, but I have never seen the dried savory peppers (Ancho and New Mexico) anywhere in the Pattaya area.

I mean that is what the sticker on the bag calls it. A cooked chili dish. Very spicy... but it is a couple of years since I bought one because of the afore mentioned unreliability ..