SIM cards vs Internet calling

TTD

Every trip to Thailand I've replaced my SIM card and kept it filed with 7-11 credits to TRUE phone service.  This trip I've been using (with occasional success) my internet to make calls.  These calls have not been associated with FaceTime WhatsApp or Line.  

Other than being able to use my phone while not online and not having a "number" to share with new lady "friends"... what's the advantage of buying and refilling a local Thai SIM card?

What do you guys use while in Thailand.  I'm here for (9) months and even considered looking into opening a more traditional account.  Not even sure if that's an option?

My last trip, I didn't buy a SIM for the first time and used WhatsApp or Line, which most of the ladies seem to use these days as it is free. . Most of time I had access to WiFi unless on the move and nothing was that urgent that I needed to be contacted 24/7. 

All my friends and family in UK are either on WhatsApp or Facebook, so I can also speak to them without notching up international connection costs using a SIM of UK roaming account

I took 2 phones out with me, but ended up just using the one. 

I think I would have a SIM account if I were there on a more permanent basis.

Nearly everywhere has free WiFi these days it seems, and each time I visit a restaurant or bar etc I add their WiFi and P/W to my phone which only takes a matter of seconds 

For a few years now, you have to show your passport when buying a new SIM. The first thing I used to do when arriving at BKK was to buy a new Thai SIM, not going to bother in future. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I like the convenience of having a SIM card so I can access the internet whenever, and wherever I am. Saves me from having to deal with the small hassle of setting up WiFi for each new location I visit. The plan I'm on only costs me 99B/week for 2GB of data/week.

• Thumbs Up 1

I am in the Philipines and can access/log in to my Kbank account without a problem. The difficulty is that if you want to transfer money etc they will send you a OTP to complete the transaction. Most banks would be the same I imagine.

If your account was set up with a Thai contact number that is where the SMS will go. If the contact number was overseas then you should get the SMS there. Unfortunately you need to visit a branch to change the recorded number. KBank have a 'work-around' to get past this but alas this is to be removed. 

32 minutes ago, biggles said:

I am in the Philipines and can access/log in to my Kbank account without a problem. The difficulty is that if you want to transfer money etc they will send you a OTP to complete the transaction. Most banks would be the same I imagine.

If your account was set up with a Thai contact number that is where the SMS will go. If the contact number was overseas then you should get the SMS there. Unfortunately you need to visit a branch to change the recorded number. KBank have a 'work-around' to get past this but alas this is to be removed. 

With the Kasikorn phone app there is no OTP required.

18 minutes ago, biggles said:

Yes, same for me, used mobile phone to connect to their web site for 15 years now. I can connect fine but they will send an OTP for any financial transactions. 

If you used their app instead of the website on your phone I don't think you would need the OTP. I don't.

That said you need to be in Thailand to set up the app to use. I recall having to be at an ATM to get a code so that I could register my phone with the app.