Pattaya and other parts of Thailand - Past and Present Visits. (Updated 20th July 2023)

7 hours ago, john luke said:

My observations since the area became dark red are that with bars, massage parlors and dine in restaurants closed there does appear to be less people on the streets in the areas dominated by those types of business.  However that said, areas such as markets, sea food market at Naklua and similar are marginally less busy but by and large the Thai population are carrying on their normal routines.

I did notice from my early morning walks that there appear to be more people sleeping on the streets; I was advised that historically homeless people were allowed to sleep and be fed at the temples, however this practice has now been stopped.  

There are many free food give out, however the information I have suggests instances of one person collecting food for the whole family unit and persons doing the rounds of all the free food outlets.  There was also a suggestion that the food carts were suffering a loss of trade due to free food being given out.  Another suggestion doing the rounds was that people were taking advantage of free food; why pay for it if one can obtain it without cost.

Whether the measures introduced due to the dark red status are sufficient to curtail the increase in cases I do not know and would not venture a guess.

Really enjoying your pics.

Do you think you'll ever get a bit bored, what with the latest ongoing restrictions ...

9 hours ago, Krapow said:

Really enjoying your pics.

Do you think you'll ever get a bit bored, what with the latest ongoing restrictions ...

The answer is yes.  The measures following Chon Buri going into the dark red zone has has a significant effect on me in that we can not go out for dinner in an evening.  The net effect is that we are dining in the condo and I am ready for bed much earlier than previously.  The knock on is that I am waking up early in the morning.  This morning I woke before 0500.

Photography has been a saviour for me in that I get out walking abd have a purpose in doing so.  One of the stories I have seen on many Thailand forums is people who have moved to Thailand intending on settling there.  They have had no other interest and do little else but drink alcoholic drinks and eat.  Significant problems followed and I am not suprised if they had no interests to occuply themselves.

This visit I became aware of the sea birds at Naklua and have had a cople of sessions photographing them.  Today's monkey pictures were a first for me.  I probably would not have seen it had I not set out pretty early on my walk.  Each session takes and hour or so followed by a couple of hours or so in Lightroom and photoshop.

I don't mind cooking; although I am fairly conservative and bland in my tastes I can source out food and cook it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, john luke said:

untitled-8422.jpg

The animal seemed to be following a specific route and seemed to be aware of its surroundings.  It is the first time I have seen a monkey in Pattaya; I have no idea whether it is an immigrant from the more rural out of town area or whether it is a pet that has either been released or escaped.

Anyone any ideas?

Midway through last year's lockdown saw a monkey in the utility lines along Buakhao. I believe there's a small troop that lives in the bush mountain area. With the decrease in the number of people about they're probably extending the range of their territory.

• Great Info 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, john luke said:

The answer is yes.  The measures following Chon Buri going into the dark red zone has has a significant effect on me in that we can not go out for dinner in an evening.  The net effect is that we are dining in the condo and I am ready for bed much earlier than previously.  The knock on is that I am waking up early in the morning.  This morning I woke before 0500.

Photography has been a saviour for me in that I get out walking abd have a purpose in doing so.  One of the stories I have seen on many Thailand forums is people who have moved to Thailand intending on settling there.  They have had no other interest and do little else but drink alcoholic drinks and eat.  Significant problems followed and I am not suprised if they had no interests to occuply themselves.

Absolutely, and one of the why i couldn't live rural, and would want to live by the sea, so could swim, fish, scuba dive etc.

Yea, sadly restrictions will go on until a good % of the population is vacced. Had been looking at Xmas, now maybe Feb or March. I'm not that bothered, though of course i'd like a holiday. It's the wife wanting to see her family, and them to see her and our daughter. But she understands, she doesn't want to go without us, and doesn't want to do 14 day hotel quarantine either. 

On 8/1/2021 at 8:45 AM, john luke said:

To my eternal shame there was very little walking during this morning's walk.  I took that baht bus to the sea food market and then walked to the bridge, a little forther into Naklua.  During previous visits I had never noticed these large sea birds. 

untitled-8401.jpg

untitled-7609-Edit.jpg

untitled-7624.jpg

untitled-7632.jpg

untitled-7637-Edit.jpg

untitled-7663-Edit.jpg

untitled-7692-Edit.jpg

untitled-7719.jpg

untitled-7722-Edit.jpg

untitled-7783.jpg

untitled-7801.jpg

untitled-7802.jpg

untitled-7834.jpg

untitled-7864-Edit.jpg

untitled-8028.jpg

untitled-8054.jpg

untitled-8105.jpg

untitled-8116.jpg

untitled-8169.jpg

untitled-8275.jpg

untitled-8383.jpg

untitled-8397.jpg

untitled-8399.jpg

Not exactly a sea bird, but a heron, in this case most likely an eastern great egret.

• Great Info 1

2 hours ago, Krapow said:

Did you forget to watermark them?

You'll continue to get them lifted and posted elsewhere by scumbags!

Most Watermarks make little difference, they can easily be removed or cropped out.

Looking at the pictures, the rain may have washed them away! :default_ball:

• Haha 3

The Big Buddha site was open; most of the time I was there on my own.  Paradice for the photographer.  A few shots taken from the Big Buddha site across Pattaya and Jomtien.  The main Pattaya Bay viewpoint was closed however some views across Pattaya Bay from the platform on the right just before one enters the main Pattaya Bay viewpoint.

untitled-9514.jpg

untitled-9429.jpg

untitled-9435.jpg

untitled-9438.jpg

untitled-9440-Edit.jpg

untitled-9442.jpg

untitled-9443.jpg

untitled-9444.jpg

untitled-9445.jpg

untitled-9446.jpg

untitled-9447.jpg

untitled-9448.jpg

untitled-9449.jpg

untitled-9450-Edit.jpg

untitled-9451.jpg

untitled-9452.jpg

untitled-9454-Edit.jpg

untitled-9455.jpg

untitled-9456.jpg

untitled-9457.jpg

untitled-9458.jpg

untitled-9459.jpg

untitled-9460.jpg

untitled-9464.jpg

untitled-9465.jpg

untitled-9470.jpg

untitled-9491.jpg

untitled-9492.jpg

untitled-9493.jpg

untitled-9494.jpg

untitled-9495.jpg

untitled-9496.jpg

untitled-9497.jpg

untitled-9498.jpg

untitled-9499.jpg

untitled-9500.jpg

untitled-9501.jpg

untitled-9501-Edit.jpg

untitled-9502.jpg

untitled-9503.jpg

untitled-9506.jpg

untitled-9510.jpg

untitled-9512.jpg

untitled-9514.jpg

• Like 2

• john luke changed the title to Big Bhudda, a few views over Pattaya and views from Pattaya View Point (09/08/2021)