thai airways bankruptcy news

thunder367

5 hours ago, thegrogmonster said:

They still owe me $700 the thieving pricks.

If they have been allowed the bankruptcy through the courts do they still owe those that they once did ? 

I am not saying  they do not just figured they would have had previous debts wiped out when the bankruptcy was approved. 

• Thumbs Up 1

34 minutes ago, Yesitisdakid said:

If they have been allowed the bankruptcy through the courts do they still owe those that they once did ? 

I am not saying  they do not just figured they would have had previous debts wiped out when the bankruptcy was approved. 

I would say previous debts are wiped. Not sure though.

The travel agent I booked through refuses to take any responsibility.

22 minutes ago, thegrogmonster said:

No  small hunk of change. I would have thought they would have to contact you letting you know of the judgement but TIT

• Thumbs Up 1

28 minutes ago, Bazle said:

If you paid with a credit card, can the card company help you? 

14 minutes ago, thegrogmonster said:

Maybe but it is coming up to nearly 2 years since I bought the tickets.

Cc companys I am sure do have a time limit on when you can claim a refund and since it's been two years I think you'd be out of luck

3 hours ago, thegrogmonster said:

I avoid travel agents and try to always book direct with a reputable airline since one roughly opposite the old Bamboo Bar did a runner with 70K baht of mine.

Did you know an immediate e-ticket issued by a travel agent is no guarantee of your flight?

Neither did I.

9 hours ago, Jambo said:

I avoid travel agents and try to always book direct with a reputable airline since one roughly opposite the old Bamboo Bar did a runner with 70K baht of mine.

Did you know an immediate e-ticket issued by a travel agent is no guarantee of your flight?

Neither did I.

A Thai travel agent in London did a runner with a lot of people's money,unfortunately including mine.

32 minutes ago, AJSP said:

Was that WestEast Travel ?

After I posted the last one then I Googled Westeast & got your post on here.

I used them for many years & found them very good,only changed to the bad one on the recommendation of a Thai mate of my wife,who also lost money.My own stupid fault,if I'd stuck with WE then no problem.

In future I'll go to the airline direct,if I ever bloody well get to go to Thailand again.

53 minutes ago, coxyhog said:

After I posted the last one then I Googled Westeast & got your post on here.

I used them for many years & found them very good,only changed to the bad one on the recommendation of a Thai mate of my wife,who also lost money.My own stupid fault,if I'd stuck with WE then no problem.

In future I'll go to the airline direct,if I ever bloody well get to go to Thailand again.

We had good experience with WE for 10+ years  When they went tits up Barclaycard refunded me in 4 Mths ( in Covid times)

16 hours ago, Yesitisdakid said:

16 hours ago, thegrogmonster said:

It's more of a restructuring as protection against bankruptcy. As a result of that restructuring they are back in profit.

Depending on what was approved by the court then it is by no means certain previous debts have been wiped and I would have thought unlikely. 

However Grogmonster it does not look so good for you as you did not book direct with Thai Airways. They are still offering refunds in the form of extended travel vouchers for people who booked direct. I was going to suggest that if your travel agent is refusing responsibility take it up with their governing body. If you are in Australia that would be ATAS but having just had a very quick look at their website they appear to be spouting a load of bollocks. In any event you will not get your money back but could still get a travel voucher if you push hard and aggressively for it. 

• Thumbs Up 1

It would be interesting to see the long term effects of this on Thai.

How many, previously loyal customers will now book with the competitors ?. Hopefully most people who requested refunds from other airlines have received theirs by now, yet there are still those who booked with Thai 18 months down the line with any recompense getting further away and less likely.

Has this whole debacle shattered confidence in a once reliable and decent Airline?.

I'll never use them. For all the bad PR that BA get, I'd choose EVA / BA over Thai for a direct flight to BKK nowadays, and in future I'll always book directly with the airline.

Edited by Butch
  • Thumbs Up 1

If I want a direct flight with THAI to BKK, I first have to travel at least 430 KM and cross at least one border, the nearest international airport is less than 20 KM and a large, intercontinental airport with direct flights to BKK is about 75 KM. Unfortunately, the current EVA schedule doesn't work out for me and the other airline is way too expensive with too small a seat pitch.

56 minutes ago, Freee!! said:

Unfortunately, the current EVA schedule doesn't work out for me and the other airline is way too expensive

My choice of airline depends on its arrival time at LHR and if it suits the National Express coach timetable to my final destination!

As for THAI, there is no way I'm gonna pay an above average fare for a below average service to subsidize a  HiSo family to fly for free!

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

My choice of airline depends on its arrival time at LHR and if it suits the National Express coach timetable to my final destination!

As for THAI, there is no way I'm gonna pay an above average fare for a below average service to subsidize a  HiSo family to fly for free!

To be honest in the short term, I think that choice will be somewhat diminished, but all 3 of the direct services from Thailand seem to leave for the UK around the mid day mark or thereabouts under normal ops.

EVA appear to have come through (so far) relatively unscathed, as have BA, and I can see perhaps another airline grabbing one of the 2 THAI slots if ever they come up as being available. Something like that would suit Qantas I reckon.

I read somewhere that THAI are actually reinstating some more regular flights, but that might have something to do with the Heathrow Slot waiver agreement potentially coming to an end. Might well be wrong about that though, mostly cos I can't bloody recall where I read it lol!.

Edited by Butch
  • Like 1

Yea, has certainly put me off booking with them again. I liked the 2 night flights as well, especially with a child.

Always preferred EVA, and only way i would book Thai now, is if it was very short notice, like in a few days time. 

• Like 1

Worth noting, for anyone with kids, night flights are a godsend. Stretched out across 3 seats, daren't get up for a piss in case of disturbing her, all your pillows used for covering the hard bits of the seats and wrap them up with a blanket while you grab 20 min here and there between checking they're ok while cursing the middle armrest doesn't go up and in further.

I took my daughter to the Philippines when she was 14 months old after my Mrs needed to fly out ahead of us in an emergency. Bless Cathay Pacific, the CC were awesome and gave me a row of 3 seats with one vacant in Econ. Luckily she was on the bottle by then but by the end of the flight I'd aged about 5 years lol.

Edited by Butch
  • Haha 1