UK Border Control Terminal 5 Heathrow 27 Aug

Horizondave

Well, from disembarkation at 1840 we finally stood in front of an immigration desk at 2115. 

The families were directed to desks as the Egates were not available for children aged 11 and under. The queues were terrible and was an embarrassment for the UK government. Staff were handing out drinks, crisps, biscuits and ice cream but not a lot of people appeared cool.

Made it to my car at 2155.

As I was exiting the barrier wouldn't recognise my registration and I was asked to pay £495.40. After nearly having a heart attack a call to the office confirmed I had prepaid the 15 days parking at just over £100. 

That gate opened and then saw me driving 3 hours home to Wales. Nice to be back.

20210827_190531.jpg

20210827_191321.jpg

20210827_191324.jpg

20210827_195529.jpg

20210827_193915.jpg

• Sad 2
  • Surprised 7

6 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

Well, from disembarkation at 1840 we finally stood in front of an immigration desk at 2115. 

The families were directed to desks as the Egates were not available for children aged 11 and under. The queues were terrible and was an embarrassment for the UK government. Staff were handing out drinks, crisps, biscuits and ice cream but not a lot of people appeared cool.

Made it to my car at 2155.

As I was exiting the barrier wouldn't recognise my registration and I was asked to pay £495.40. After nearly having a heart attack a call to the office confirmed I had prepaid the 15 days parking at just over £100. 

That gate opened and then saw me driving 3 hours home to Wales. Nice to be back.

20210827_190531.jpg

20210827_191321.jpg

20210827_191324.jpg

20210827_195529.jpg

20210827_193915.jpg

A pretty awful experience.  Only ten days ago I landed in Manchester; the flight landed at 1730 hours and I was in the back of a taxi heading for the M62 at 1800 hours.  All UK passengers were directed to the E Gates.  I don't know the position with juveniles.

I always try to avoid Heathrow airport; even though this deprives me in most cases of direct flights.

24 minutes ago, john luke said:

A pretty awful experience.  Only ten days ago I landed in Manchester; the flight landed at 1730 hours and I was in the back of a taxi heading for the M62 at 1800 hours.  All UK passengers were directed to the E Gates.  I don't know the position with juveniles.

I always try to avoid Heathrow airport; even though this deprives me in most cases of direct flights.

We were told children under 12 could not use the e gates and so every family was inconvenienced, it was a disaster. Could so easily have got out of control, there were a lot of very disgruntled people.

28 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

What do single travellers do if they need to use a toilet ... go to the back of the queue ? 

crazy 

There were so many babies in the queue, the mother in front of us changed the nappies of her two 15 month old twins whilst in the queue, it was a nightmare for some.

• Sad 2

Agree with ^^^^^^ @boydeste glad you're home safe and sound. The situation is fucking appalling and it's a shocking example of the shambles immigration at LHR has become lately.

As for the car park, I had the same thing, it was with Heathrow long stay T3 when the machine read my plate wrong on entry, I called the office and they put a flag on the system for my car, so another potential cock up avoided but Jeez, you really don't need that after waiting in immigration for that long.

Grab yourself a stiff drink, and welcome home.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Stillearly said:

What do single travellers do if they need to use a toilet ... go to the back of the queue ? 

crazy 

I'd hope that the person behind would do the decent thing and save my place, I'd certainly do it for someone.