Gatwick consultation coming up.

Butch

Plans to run Gatwick as a dual runway operation by expanding the Northern Runway start on the 9th of this month.

From one point of view, it's good to see the predictions of higher pax numbers and increased operations, and a glimmer of hope for the struggling industry, but not sure what the "greens" think of it all.

I don't mind Gatwick as an Airport, although the bloody never ending roadworks always going on somewhere in the area are frustrating, the Airport itself is quite nice I found,

https://www.breakingtravelnews.com/news/article/gatwick-seeks-to-become-two-runway-airport/

Edited by Butch

• Butch changed the title to Gatwick consultation coming up.

Try to avoid it, prefer flying from Stansted or Luton, though that's due to being easier to get to by taxi from where we are. 

Less luggage these days, no buggy etc, might try the Gatwick Express again if had to use that airport. Though again, Stansted Express so much more handy and cheap. 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Nightcrawler said:

Would suit me a treat. I generally use Gatwick as its only a 15 minute train journey from East Croydon and far less busy than LHR. Even better if they started direct flights to Thailand in the future. 

Odd you mention the direct flights, this is kind of but not totally connected. I whacked in a search for BA direct flights to Thailand for later this year and the schedule is coming back for a 21:50 departure from LHR. Most odd (unless it's a code sharing thing).

I have never worked out why there's not been a direct service from LGW, given that it can handle 777's and the slots must be cheaper. Still, who knows what might happen over the next few months.

I think that TUI run a charter flight from LGW to Phuket direct, but that's only if you book your entire holiday through them, but might be wrong on that.

18 hours ago, Butch said:

I think that TUI run a charter flight from LGW to Phuket direct, but that's only if you book your entire holiday through them, but might be wrong on that.

They've done it for a few years pre-covid.  A weekly flight and also ones from Manchester, Glasgow and maybe more IIRC.

• Thumbs Up 1

How long are these consultations going to take. Heathrow's been going for years and no end in sight.

Beijing built a brand new airport in about 2 years and I didn't even know about it till it had been finished.

Ok not so much red tape but we have lost so much credibility in international terms over these wasted years arguing the toss.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Very perplexed on any Airport expansion given the current  rise of the Green Party policy in the UK, and also due to the ongoing Covid pandemic so will become watchful with an open eye on this but my views are that it’ll be steamrollered though on grounds of demand and economics

• Like 1