Fast food - love it or hate it?

Butch

Being a kid from the 70's in UK and elsewhere, fast food was really not an option until around 1984 when the first Mcdonalds opened in my home town. The closest we ever got to fast food prior to that was a very occasional one a month fish and chips. Chinese food was around but no one in the house liked it, plus it was expensive.

Nowadays it's part and parcel of our lives and some kids and students rely upon it to function.

Personally I'm not a big fan. Mcdonalds tastes like cardboard to me, KFC is greasy as hell and full of oil, pizzas full of salt and the rest of them pretty much the same. the Philippines is full of (very bad) fast food joints, which is why there's a weight problem with younger people there.

I'm at the point now where if the only option is a take away or fast food, I'll skip it altogether. I do all the cooking in our house and while it's not always easy, it's better the alternative.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, forcebwithu said:

Never touch fast food while living in Thailand. Enjoy Thai food too much. But on what used to be my annual visits home I would have fast food just about every day. Found it tastes much better after missing it for a year.

When I worked around China for a couple of years I ate the most fantastic Chinese meals but towards the end I was craving "special chop suey" from the local chinky takeaway served in a tin foil container, cardboard lid and placcy kfs ...

• Like 1

Love a kebab wrap, or even a hummus and falafel wrap with lashings of chilli and garlic sauce 

Apart from maybe at an airport, usually Swampy, I don't do McDonald's or Burger King. And give the missis a stern look when she tells me she brought our daughter such places. 

Edit - Though I do like the KFC in Thailand, super spicy 😋 

Edited by Krapow
  • Thumbs Up 1

I pretty much never eat pizza's, even when i was living back in the UK, and please tell me why they are so expensive for what you get ??

KFC, going back maybe 20 odd years, to me had much more flavour than nowadays, it now just seems very bland and the oil / grease runs down your chin and fingers. There's a newish company cropping up in Thailand over the last few years called Texas Chicken, i find that quite nice, especially if they honour my request and serve me the breast or drumstick pieces. Also Chester's Grill turn out some good gear if you go for the crispy coated stuff and not their original style chicken that looks like it's been slathered in sump oil.

If i get any fast food whilst in Pattaya it's mostly a lamb kebab from the lady in LK Metro......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/24593178@N04/

• Like 1

Used to love Wimpy as a kid .. 

Never get fast food at home , will do at Airports and on occasion on holiday if hungover - KFC being first choice , love the mash 

I don't really consider Pizza fast food , as I never just buy a ready made slice , I always order in a restaurant...

if drunk I used to like the chicken kababs sold in Patts , but over the last few trips became a fan of 7/11 and the cheese and ham toasties , the girls always appreciate a trip there as well , to top on on some overnight supplies and maybe a microwaved Krapow 

I do also like the McDonald's ice cream cones and find the prices vary depending on where in the country you are ( Phuket , Patts , Bangkok )  ... The Economist has a Bigmac index which compares the cost in countries ( ppp ) to see if currencies are overbought/ oversold .... so my ice cream index is my own way of seeing how much value for money I am getting , Phuket ( Patong) has always been most expensive 

• Like 1

Depends what fast food it is. Not a fan of Mcdonalds or KFC places. In fact, I don't really do fast food in UK apart from Chinese and Indian delivery/takeaway, which is not always that fast. 

In Thailand, its a different story, especially when I get the munchies after a long night on the piss. I love Pad Thai and there are or used to be a few stools that would make it in a few minutes in a wok. Subway was my other favourite late at night. 

I am no longer time poor, so I would rather a proper cooked meal at home or in a restaurant. Different story when I was working, and on a long drive home from East London, if working late, I would often stop off at a Mcdonalds for a big mac fries and shake to eat on the way home to save cooking later. 

• Like 1

In the motorway service station going from Swampy to Pattaya there's an Indian fast food place,I always stop & have the samosas there.

Also I like the chicken kebab stands you get in Pattaya and must admit to having a McDonalds in the past on the way back to my hotel after an all nighter on the beer.

I don't eat any fast food in the UK but on the way back to my hotel in Southport the other night I did have fishcake & chips & it was very good.Does a chippy count as fast food?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, coxyhog said:

In the motorway service station going from Swampy to Pattaya there's an Indian fast food place,I always stop & have the samosas there.

Also I like the chicken kebab stands you get in Pattaya and must admit to having a McDonalds in the past on the way back to my hotel after an all nighter on the beer.

I don't eat any fast food in the UK but on the way back to my hotel in Southport the other night I did have fishcake & chips & it was very good.Does a chippy count as fast food?

In my opinion Fish 'n' Chips should be taken home...served on warm plates with chunky bread and butter and a lovely cup of tea.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

Ooooh! and Bitterballen !!!

They were dished out for free at a bar in Arnhem after the bridge to bridge run!

Bitterballen are just a snack and are just croquettes shortened to a ball. The best brands are Van Dobben and Kwekkeboom. If a bar serves either of these brands (never both), they will state so on the menu.

• Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, Freee!! said:

Bitterballen are just a snack and are just croquettes shortened to a ball. The best brands are Van Dobben and Kwekkeboom. If a bar serves either of these brands (never both), they will state so on the menu.

And they are bloody dangerous if you can't wait and you plop one in your mouth too soon.... I've lost a few layers of skin on the roof of my mouth before learning to wait !!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

And they are bloody dangerous if you can't wait and you plop one in your mouth too soon.... I've lost a few layers of skin on the roof of my mouth before learning to wait !!

Normally they are just too big to plop right into your mouth, but yes, they are dangerous that way, just like croquettes.

• Thumbs Up 1

42 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

Fish n chips should be left in the wrapper then eaten cold the next day for breakfast!!!

That's what pizza is for. One thing that does taste good cold next day. 

Very rarely eat takeaway these days, most of it is usually over priced crap anyway. And the vegan choices ain't much better. 

• Thumbs Up 1

It's drunk food or lazy food.  If you're lucky it's drunk and lazy food, and even though I often meet these requirements I don't eat it too much.

The likes of McDonald's and other similar s*** burger joints, not at all.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, KWA said:

It's drunk food or lazy food.  If you're lucky it's drunk and lazy food, and even though I often meet these requirements I don't eat it too much.

The likes of McDonald's and other similar s*** burger joints, not at all.

It's definitely drunk, lazy or convenient food for me.

Unfortunately I like most of it, especially pizza and kebabs.

Only last night I indulged with a chicken kebab and potatoes.

20210831_185404.jpg

Edited by boydeste
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1