Fast food - love it or hate it?

Butch

28 minutes ago, Lemondropkid said:

I'd say many Fish & Chips shops are poor but that makes them no different from curry houses or bars. Finding a good one is pretty straight forward- big queues outside and fat ladies serving!!

They tend to be family owned, and have mastered the art of cooking of a chip😄

Doubt I'd have them more than once a month max, as a treat. Feels good supporting a local business serving decent food.

Not sure I agree with the curry house analogy, there are so many around where I live that the standards are through the roof, any mediocre or poor ones just don’t survive!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I won't even set foot in my town's McDonalds, let alone patronize those in foreign countries; in my younger years I'd spring for KFC occasionally but our local venue went downhill after a  change of hands a few years ago and I haven't been back since - expensive and greasy.  Nowadays my idea of fast food is grabbing items from the delis in the supermarkets occasionally, I never did go for the mainstream places much, even when I was much younger and had a bigger appetite than I have now. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Sangsom said:

Not sure I agree with the curry house analogy, there are so many around where I live that the standards are through the roof, any mediocre or poor ones just don’t survive!

Was just an an analogy I was throwing out, assume you'd agree on the mediocre bars then?

I live in NW London , the reason I put out the curry house analogy is the ones that are aimed at westerners are dreadful. The Indian veggie ones by contrast are fantastic- the former for me are more aimed at the fast food crowd, hence my comment.

There are however also almost no decent pubs anymore in my area. 

Out of interest , where are you living that has mainly decent curry houses- Nottingham?

Edited by Lemondropkid
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, galenkia said:

Eggs have got Chang Fai's 'rolleyes'. 😀

Missed a trick when he had the epic run in with the owner of Munchies- on the Secrets forum. The guy gave a masterclass in how not to react to online negative reviews of your business,

He had obviously though as the thread bore out met the elusive Chang Fai in person. Annoyed I didn't find out just who he was at that point.

Not to "out" him or be confrontational, just to satisfy curiosity. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Lemondropkid said:

Was just an an analogy I was throwing out, assume you'd agree on the mediocre bars then?

I live in NW London , the reason I put out the curry house analogy is the ones that are aimed at westerners are dreadful. The Indian veggie ones by contrast are fantastic- the former for me are more aimed at the fast food crowd, hence my comment.

There are however also almost no decent pubs anymore in my area. 

Out of interest , where are you living that has mainly decent curry houses- Nottingham?

Yes Fair enough…..yes Nottingham and specifically a suburb of Nottingham I’d rather not specify because of a small minority of bellends  that populate forums that behave like dicks and try and accumulate info on you to use against you. 😊

• Thumbs Up 5

On my return to Scotland I have discovered it is absolutely teeming with fast food establishments of every type. There are Chinese and Indian restaurants and carry outs absolutely everywhere. I have not even scratched the surface but I have sampled both Indian and Chinese food locally and I have to say it was excellent.

It has been 3 months but I am pleased to say that I have avoided McDonalds and KFC but cannot resist Scotch pies, Bridies and Warburton's crumpets. 🤣

And Jaffa cakes.

I am still quite shocked at the high level of full blown obesity which is all too obvious. The Scottish diet was always deemed to be not too healthy and it does not appear to have changed much in my absence. 

There are still many REAL pubs around selling real beer and not just pissy lager.  I just discovered a live music bar which has rock bands playing every weekend. I thought it had closed through Covid not realizing it does not open during the day.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 3

19 minutes ago, Jambo said:

There are still many REAL pubs around selling real beer and not just pissy lager. 

Now your making me feel envious, fill your socks Mr, Jambo......

It's one of the few things that i miss from the UK, real ale. There are various ones available here in bottles / cans, but they do not compare to a lovely pint poured straight from the barrel via a quarter turn tap, of from a hand pulled pump with no sparkler attached. A full pint with no silly thick head on it.

On my trips around Scotland in past years, i found most pubs served gas fed ales and normally had a sparkler attached too, but that was over 20 years ago. I don't know what you prefer Mr. Jam, but whatever it is you enjoy mate....

Screenshot_20161115-140208.png

Edited by SteveBC
  • Thumbs Up 2

35 minutes ago, Jambo said:

On my return to Scotland I have discovered it is absolutely teeming with fast food establishments of every type. There are Chinese and Indian restaurants and carry outs absolutely everywhere. I have not even scratched the surface but I have sampled both Indian and Chinese food locally and I have to say it was excellent.

It has been 3 months but I am pleased to say that I have avoided McDonalds and KFC but cannot resist Scotch pies, Bridies and Warburton's crumpets. 🤣

And Jaffa cakes.

I am still quite shocked at the high level of full blown obesity which is all too obvious. The Scottish diet was always deemed to be not too healthy and it does not appear to have changed much in my absence. 

There are still many REAL pubs around selling real beer and not just pissy lager.  I just discovered a live music bar which has rock bands playing every weekend. I thought it had closed through Covid not realizing it does not open during the day.

Have you tried deep fried Mars bars yet??

When I worked for Cellnet in the old analogue days I worked up the east coast of Scotland. So many comfy pubs smelling of wet dogs and dirty boots (and that was just the women..perhaps that's why they call them lassies!). I don't ever remember feeling unwanted in a pub and the beer of course was lush !

23 hours ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

Have you tried deep fried Mars bars yet??

When I worked for Cellnet in the old analogue days I worked up the east coast of Scotland. So many comfy pubs smelling of wet dogs and dirty boots (and that was just the women..perhaps that's why they call them lassies!). I don't ever remember feeling unwanted in a pub and the beer of course was lush !

I always thought that deep fried Mars bars was a bit like Nessie   ............. i.e, a Scottish myth. 

Except, more than 20 years ago I  was in the queue at our local Chippie when the girl in front of me ordered 

"Mars Bar Supper please."

The guy serving (Italian, all the best chippies were Italian owned in Edinburgh) turned round, opened the fridge, to display 10 or more unwrapped mars bars on the top shelf.

"Salt and sauce?"

"Aye" says the girl.

Everything purchased from that Chippie went into the deep fat frier to be warmed up. That included pizza slices and your choice of pies. Not to my taste but their fish suppers were superb. 😄

ps

This Sassanach loves haggis, but not deep fried.🤣

Edited by Jambo
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Surprised 2

I got a delivery yesterday evening from Maw Maw, my local Chinese take away place. I ordered Special Curry and Special fried rice. I generously tipped the delivery driver 20 Pence 😁

The portions were massive and I ate half and have eaten the rest for breakfast after heating it up in the microwave. Tasted better the next day 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1