WALKING STREET IS ABLAZE

tommy dee

Odd day.

For those who may know Capt'n Greg's in Sabang, Puerta Galera, Philippines, that burnt down this morning.

The owner, Chuck, seems to have accepted it is the end of the place. I drank there first time in 1988, sad day.

Walking Street won't die, it will evolve in a new way, the fire may help.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

Odd day.

For those who may know Capt'n Greg's in Sabang, Puerta Galera, Philippines, that burnt down this morning.

The owner, Chuck, seems to have accepted it is the end of the place. I drank there first time in 1988, sad day.

Walking Street won't die, it will evolve in a new way, the fire may help.

My father is in a nursing home now but always stated he had the best steaks in his life at Captn Gregs. We went a few times around 1990.

7 minutes ago, Freee!! said:

Those illegal structures on the sea side lasted longer than I expected. What are the chances somebody in power decided to do something about those illegal structures?

We'll have to wait and see the extent of the damage tomorrow as the place will be awash with vloggers.

I think they were doing some replacement of the wiring recently, and looking at the state of the old stuff, it wouldn't inspire me with the greatest of confidence. I think we should be grateful that this wasn't in the middle of peak season, because of all the GGB's I've ever stepped foot in, I can't ever remember seeing a fire extinguisher or fire escape. Same goes for nightclubs.

This could have ended a shite sight worse had it been at a different time.

Edited by Butch
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

25 minutes ago, Captain_B said:

My God, as if they didn,t have enough problems. 

Another nail in the coffin. I wonder who was insured? Not suggesting that it was an insurance job, but it certainly would have been a way out for those who were struggling. 

Either way, it's a major low to the tourist industry

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, Nightcrawler said:

Another nail in the coffin. I wonder who was insured? Not suggesting that it was an insurance job, but it certainly would have been a way out for those who were struggling. 

Just clearing the way for Pattaya Disneyland.

1200x0.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Nightcrawler said:

My bet is on the PTB.

1 minute ago, Nightcrawler said:

Which tourist industry?  Even besides the current lack of tourists, most of Walking Street wasn't exactly family friendly, the category they said to wish to attract.

27 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

Maybe cheaper than a full demolition job.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Evil Penevil said:

Apparently the fire didn't spread beyond the Nashaa Club itself, although it had been engulfed in flames and appears to be a total loss.  Some details:

Major fire causes serious damage to Walking Street nightclub in Pattaya

Evil

I doubt if we will ever find out, but who, if anyone, could benefit (financially) from this.

Small blessing the club was not open and with people enjoying their holidays, or it may well have been a very different headline indeed, not dissimilar to the tragic nightclub fire that happened in Bangkok a few years ago.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

27 minutes ago, Butch said:

I doubt if we will ever find out, but who, if anyone, could benefit (financially) from this.

Small blessing the club was not open and with people enjoying their holidays, or it may well have been a very different headline indeed, not dissimilar to the tragic nightclub fire that happened in Bangkok a few years ago.

Indeed. The upside is that no lives were lost. 

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Butch said:

First time I saw that, I thought the victims’ pics were doctored……awful tragedy

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, Captain_B said:

My father is in a nursing home now but always stated he had the best steaks in his life at Captn Gregs. We went a few times around 1990.

I lived in Sabang between 1988 and 1991. The food was indeed good, I used to eat and drink there regularly, it had a wonderful view and character.

Visited last about 3 years ago, the food sadly was not at all top notch and I needed to eat elsewhere.