Has the Covid 19 Virus Situation made you more aware of the need for Exercise?

john luke

Has the Covid 19 Virus Situation made you more aware of the need for Exercise?

For me the answer is Yes; that said the exercise is restricted to walking.  The reason I posed the question was that before I left Pattaya last month, I was aware if people of both genders exercising on Beach Road and there is a similar situation here in Malta along the coastal road.

Yes for me.

COVID has made me more aware of the importance of looking after my mental health. The trick will be to keep that going over winter, and force myself outdoors however bad the weather is.

Went out for a 5 mile run yesterday morning in the absolute p******g rain. More to start building up my mental resilience again ahead of winter to not use the weather as excuse and end up indoors all day becoming increasingly miserable.

The run was horrible. A flashback to the cross country runs we were made to do in winter at school when the football pitches were flooded.

Felt great afterwards though😀

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lemondropkid said:

Yes for me.

COVID has made me more aware of the importance of looking after my mental health. The trick will be to keep that going over winter, and force myself outdoors however bad the weather is.

Went out for a 5 mile run yesterday morning in the absolute p******g rain. More to start building up my mental resilience again ahead of winter to not use the weather as excuse and end up indoors all day becoming increasingly miserable.

The run was horrible. A flashback to the cross country runs we were made to do in winter at school when the football pitches were flooded.

Felt great afterwards though😀

Upped my exercise after getting Diabetes 2. Lost weight and feel generally good. Found in groups you are pushed outside your comfort zone which is good.

• Thumbs Up 1

When the gym's closed in the UK I started working out in my garage,not ideal as no eye candy but at least I got to choose my own music.I was also going on long,fast walks until my knees started complaining so stopped the walking & put on a few kg's.

Since the gym's have re-opened I've been doing exercises to strengthen my leg muscles & can now manage 4km at a reasonable walking pace.Also I've lost a few kg's.

So in answer to the question probably no,as I already had a good exercise regime,but it certainly made me adapt it.

• Like 2

Was one of the worst aspects of lockdown for me, gyms closed.

First lockdown we were just going into Spring, i was well motivated and kept a good exercise routine just around 'the block' where we live. Helped me so much mentally and physically.

Then the one in January, i just so deflated, i couldn't get into it, even though i knew it would help me so much. 

Once they started outdoor classes in March, i was over the moon. 

I go to the gym 4 times a week now, have done since they opened again, and am nearly as fit and at the same weight i was before lockdown. Nearly, but not quite, yet.

One added bonus of lockdown is it has me walking even more now, as i tried to say off crowded public transport at the start, and have kept to that as more of a fitness change. 

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

Life has been pretty normal for me all through this. Worked all the time and have an active job so don't need to exercise. Plus going teetotal and vegan I have lost a third of my body weight anyway. Probably consume a third tops of the calories I was before. 

• Like 2
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Been exercising all my life pretty much, when they shut down the gym here, it was tough on me personally. Doing weights in the garage was not fun at all. Just miss the "boys" talk, making fun of others etc. Could still run at the High School which helped. It seems to me around here there are alot more people running, riding bikes, walking at all different places.

More people at the gym, at the High School, at the local parks and I think Covid has introduced a whole new set of people that having a strong immune system is a good thing these days. 

20210630_122917 (1).jpg

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Yessongs said:

Been exercising all my life pretty much, when they shut down the gym here, it was tough on me personally. Doing weights in the garage was not fun at all. Just miss the "boys" talk, making fun of others etc. Could still run at the High School which helped. It seems to me around here there are alot more people running, riding bikes, walking at all different places.

More people at the gym, at the High School, at the local parks and I think Covid has introduced a whole new set of people that having a strong immune system is a good thing these days. 

20210630_122917 (1).jpg

Are those 50 kilo dumbbells? That's 30 over my bodyweight combined😳. I'm currently picking up a heavy pint of Stout 

20210915_172437.jpg

Edited by Lemondropkid

Exercise is a big part of my social activities here. So the lockdowns with the restrictions on social gatherings has had a big impact on that part of my life. The biggest one has the been the suspension of our weekly Hash House Harrier runs since April.

As a workaround to the organized social gathering restriction a couple of hashers came up with the idea of NOSH (Non Official haSH) Trails. These are trails that are changed every week or two and allow those so inclined to go out on their own, or with a small group of friends and walk/run an easy trail.

The NOSH Trails are open to all, so if you're in the Pattaya area and would like to take advantage of something different for exercise, use this link to find out where the latest trail is.

On On.jpg

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1

59 minutes ago, SteveBC said:

Mr. Gal',  whilst i commend your willpower and respect your choice, i think i would rather die !!!!

For Gal it was absolutely THE right choice and I take my hat off to him his struggles are well known on here and the results speak for themselves (Good on you Gal 😉

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, roomark said:

For Gal it was absolutely THE right choice and I take my hat off to him his struggles are well known on here and the results speak for themselves (Good on you Gal 😉

Well it sounds, being new on here, that there is something of which i am not aware of.

If my post is out of order then i put my hands up........

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, SteveBC said:

Well it sounds, being new on here, that there is something of which i am not aware of.

If my post is out of order then i put my hands up........

No mate I didn't mean it like that at all ..

Edit 

Meaning not a dig at you just encouragement for Gal

Edited by roomark
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, SteveBC said:

Mr. Gal',  whilst i commend your willpower and respect your choice, i think i would rather die !!!!

Had no choice but stop drinking, Doctor said I'll be dead within 2 years if I carried on. Going vegan was a mixture of health, environmental and ethical issues. It's not as bad as you think going vegan , takes a little while to get used to the lifestyle, but now I find it pretty easy. And the meat and dairy replacement products are actually pretty good. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Info 1

27 minutes ago, galenkia said:

Had no choice but stop drinking, Doctor said I'll be dead within 2 years if I carried on. Going vegan was a mixture of health, environmental and ethical issues. It's not as bad as you think going vegan , takes a little while to get used to the lifestyle, but now I find it pretty easy. And the meat and dairy replacement products are actually pretty good. 

Alan, come on man, you know we need a picture of the "new you" I will take it to the Viet Coffee Shops here and the Viet girls will be saying "ban that dep" 😃

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, galenkia said:

Had a strawberry soya yoghurt this morning, you wouldn’t know there difference. Fake bacon is shit though….

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

It certainly drove a lesson home to me. During the deepest lockdown I was still working but no gym, but still taking in the same calories, so I put on weight.

I'm now back in the gym and up to my 10km in an hour on the treadmill, twice to three times a week, plus weights  (not heavy weights, mostly light just to keep mobility in my joints). Weight is coming off, but drinking the best part of 2 bottles of champagne plus a 4 course meal at a wedding the other week didn't really help much.

I've also changed my diet slightly, but those damn cheese and onion Walkers "sharing packs" still manage to find their way into my shopping bag!.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1