Thai (and SE asia) visa tightening until no one qualifies except millionaires?

fforest

2 hours ago, lazarus said:

Yeah. I felt that way about Thailand for a few years & still possibly do (in terms of longer term retirement plans). In the short term I'll stick with using it as a jumping off point to other destinations in Asia when I bring my daughter to visit her Thai family.

For the time being I very much feel "at home" now...living a couple of miles from where I was born (and where my Irish grandmother was born)...dem is deep roots!

Wouldn't that be Ireland ? 😉 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Surprised 1

7 hours ago, Glasseye said:

Big thank you on this info. Butch. I will be giving this a serious look over the next few weeks.

One major obstacle for me in respect to even visiting the P.I. is Duterte. If the P.I. people are able to once again find someone a bit more moderate and reasonable then anything is possible I reckon. Although, I have to say honestly, I am not overly confident on that looking at their history the past few decades.

Fingers are crossed though that something good may happen.

Wonder if Manny would be more moderate and reasonable.

Manny Pacquiao says he will run for Philippine presidency in 2022

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

Wonder if Manny would be more moderate and reasonable.

Manny Pacquiao says he will run for Philippine presidency in 2022

There is absolutely no rhyme or reason as to the voting strategy of the Filipino public nowadays. Duterte got in on the strength of his policies while running Davao, anti drugs, anti corruption etc. His drug crackdown a few years ago merely allowed the Police carte blanche to work as hired assassins to settle family feuds or issues under the guise of it being the war against drugs.

The only President even remotely worth his salt was Aquino in 2010, but even then corruption was endemic at all levels.

Manny might well get in, his popularity is huge and he's a canny businessman, but as a politician I don't think he has the brains or the ability to cut it on the ASEAN stage. Then again, politics in the Philippines has seldom been about ability, it has been about buttering up the Catholic Church, paying bent officials and gifting the right people the right kind of contracts.

I'm no expert, just giving my slant on how I see it, some may disagree, some may not, but for us, our intention is to move to one of the provinces away from Manila and settle there eventually. Naga City is looking good at the moment.

Edited by Butch
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Info 1

38 minutes ago, Butch said:

There is absolutely no rhyme or reason as to the voting strategy of the Filipino public nowadays. Duterte got in on the strength of his policies while running Davao, anti drugs, anti corruption etc. His drug crackdown a few years ago merely allowed the Police carte blanche to work as hired assassins to settle family feuds or issues under the guise of it being the war against drugs.

The only President even remotely worth his salt was Aquino in 2010, but even then corruption was endemic at all levels.

Manny might well get in, his popularity is huge and he's a canny businessman, but as a politician I don't think he has the brains or the ability to cut it on the ASEAN stage. Then again, politics in the Philippines has seldom been about ability, it has been about buttering up the Catholic Church, paying bent officials and gifting the right people the right kind of contracts.

I'm no expert, just giving my slant on how I see it, some may disagree, some may not, but for us, our intention is to move to one of the provinces away from Manila and settle there eventually. Naga City is looking good at the moment.

I think your summary regarding P.I. politics is spot on.

I have never lived there but my brother does, and I have followed the politics and history for quite a long time. I think regardless of whoever is in power there it will be rife with corruption. But... really corruption is rife everywhere, just dressed up differently depending what part of the world you are in.

I suppose the best way to approach things is finding the right location where you can feel reasonably safe and have access to decent health care near by. 

One thing that concerns me with there (as compared to say Thailand) is the horrendous Typhoons they always seem to get hit with. Oh.... and all the fucking guns. That is a big thing I am trying to get away from. I'm also not really crazy about the whole Catholic thing.

But....it's cheap as chips, some real beauties there, and at least you can understand some of what they are saying when their lips are moving.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Butch said:

A good mate of mine from our Oman days lives in Cebu & loves the place.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Glasseye said:

But....it's cheap as chips, some real beauties there, and at least you can understand some of what they are saying when their lips are moving.

The last bit did cause me some problems on my infrequent visits to the PI....when you're used to the LBFM's not understanding what you're saying you can say stuff that gets you in the shit.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Glasseye said:

I think your summary regarding P.I. politics is spot on.

I have never lived there but my brother does, and I have followed the politics and history for quite a long time. I think regardless of whoever is in power there it will be rife with corruption. But... really corruption is rife everywhere, just dressed up differently depending what part of the world you are in.

I suppose the best way to approach things is finding the right location where you can feel reasonably safe and have access to decent health care near by. 

One thing that concerns me with there (as compared to say Thailand) is the horrendous Typhoons they always seem to get hit with. Oh.... and all the fucking guns. That is a big thing I am trying to get away from. I'm also not really crazy about the whole Catholic thing.

Typhoons are horrific. The east coast (Visayas) seems to get hit harder than anywhere else. Earthquakes are another natural hazard, there was one in Bohol a few years back, several of the large concrete structures were seriously damaged, but the old, traditional wooden framed houses remained standing. Unfortunately though, these wooden houses are the first to get damaged and destroyed by a typhoon. Also, my Mrs wanted us to retire to her village area, which is within spitting distance of the Mayon Volcano, so I really can't win lol.

Guns again, I've heard gunshots a few times, mostly pissed up filipino's taking pot shots at cats but yep, guns are quite common and it is possible to pick one up for as little as a few thousand peso on the black market. As a foreigner though, if you keep sensible and be aware of what's going on, you'll be fine.  Criminals don't actively seek out foreigners as targets, and I've been in a few very dodgy areas at night, pissed and not had a problem, but I have been lucky I guess.

If you move into a half decent subdivision then access will be controlled at the gate and the local armed barangay are on duty and patrol 24/7. Plus, you can shoot anyone breaking into your home anyway. Always handy to have a couple of dogs, or Askals as well. The locals soon get to know who you are anyway and in our subdivision they are all very friendly and it's got a great community spirit.

P4P is of course very cheap and pretty much any bar will have a few girls (freelancers) looking. No barfines, just a negotiated arrangement, unless of course you're in AC or Burgos where it is specifically for that purpose, but generally mooching around will see you getting approached, supermarkets, starbucks etc. That's why the Mrs watches me like a bloody hawk when I'm there, but I'd be an idiot to contemplate anything because I can't swim when my hands and legs are tied with duct tape and there's a wheel tied around my waist.

Healthcare is not brilliant though. It's not so much the standard of those practicing, it is the state and standard of the machines and equipment they use, they are about 10 years behind in the tech and equipment compared to the UK.

Saying that, it is not as expensive as Thailand and the standard of training is very high indeed, as the Nurses the NHS in UK recruit from the Philippines only need an adaptation course and exam to pass and then work here.

again, as a caveat this is what I have found things to be like there, I might be wrong on a couple of points, but on the whole we tend to keep our heads down, friendly with everyone and the Mother in law is very active in the local church and helps out the poor families living nearby as much as she can, so we help out by sponsoring things etc, which is always a good long term strategy.

Edited by Butch

2 hours ago, Butch said:

Typhoons are horrific. The east coast (Visayas) seems to get hit harder than anywhere else. Earthquakes are another natural hazard, there was one in Bohol a few years back, several of the large concrete structures were seriously damaged, but the old, traditional wooden framed houses remained standing. Unfortunately though, these wooden houses are the first to get damaged and destroyed by a typhoon. Also, my Mrs wanted us to retire to her village area, which is within spitting distance of the Mayon Volcano, so I really can't win lol.

Guns again, I've heard gunshots a few times, mostly pissed up filipino's taking pot shots at cats but yep, guns are quite common and it is possible to pick one up for as little as a few thousand peso on the black market. As a foreigner though, if you keep sensible and be aware of what's going on, you'll be fine.  Criminals don't actively seek out foreigners as targets, and I've been in a few very dodgy areas at night, pissed and not had a problem, but I have been lucky I guess.

If you move into a half decent subdivision then access will be controlled at the gate and the local armed barangay are on duty and patrol 24/7. Plus, you can shoot anyone breaking into your home anyway. Always handy to have a couple of dogs, or Askals as well. The locals soon get to know who you are anyway and in our subdivision they are all very friendly and it's got a great community spirit.

P4P is of course very cheap and pretty much any bar will have a few girls (freelancers) looking. No barfines, just a negotiated arrangement, unless of course you're in AC or Burgos where it is specifically for that purpose, but generally mooching around will see you getting approached, supermarkets, starbucks etc. That's why the Mrs watches me like a bloody hawk when I'm there, but I'd be an idiot to contemplate anything because I can't swim when my hands and legs are tied with duct tape and there's a wheel tied around my waist.

Healthcare is not brilliant though. It's not so much the standard of those practicing, it is the state and standard of the machines and equipment they use, they are about 10 years behind in the tech and equipment compared to the UK.

Saying that, it is not as expensive as Thailand and the standard of training is very high indeed, as the Nurses the NHS in UK recruit from the Philippines only need an adaptation course and exam to pass and then work here.

again, as a caveat this is what I have found things to be like there, I might be wrong on a couple of points, but on the whole we tend to keep our heads down, friendly with everyone and the Mother in law is very active in the local church and helps out the poor families living nearby as much as she can, so we help out by sponsoring things etc, which is always a good long term strategy.

Excellent summary, and very funny.

Good and bad everywhere. Just have to do proper research/planning, pick your spots wisely, not get too f***d up, treat people respectfully, hold on to your cock when sleeping and everything has a way of working out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Glasseye said:

Excellent summary, and very funny.

Good and bad everywhere. Just have to do proper research/planning, pick your spots wisely, not get too f***d up, treat people respectfully, hold on to your cock when sleeping and everything has a way of working out.

Just as an addition to few of the great points already mentioned I would say that health is a major item for many and the availability of high end medical care is sparse in anywhere but the big cities.  Even in Angeles there have been many forum comments over the years about new clinics opening only to close soon after or not offer the care they have set out to provide.

I lived for 5 years in Puerta Galera and Olongapo (Barrio Barretto) and too be honest I was younger then and not much in need of hospital treatments.  As an older person now the health options would be a major requirement so being in the sticks is not such a great idea as it once was.

I also believe that your buck for housing goes much further in Thailand, an average quality home in Philippines in dollar terms would see you get a high quality house in Thailand. A bit like hotels, an average hotel in Philippines costs as much as a high class hotel in Thailand.

I would feel safer overall in Thailand but in 5 years in the Philippines I kept my nose clean. I only had one major problem with a drunk local which luckily was soon sorted once the culprit found out who I was renting from, it was one of the village elders, and I got a personal apology at the door from his nephew (the culprit) accompanied by a large box of San Miguel.

Decent infrastructure overall is better in Thailand but again the cities of Manila and Cebu are acceptable but I could no longer live in Manila although Cebu is a lovely place to be.

The women and the bars offer me a better experience than Thailand  but I couldn't live there now just for that.

If I was younger Philippines is a great place to be but as an older guy I could no longer live in the Philippines unless my income was high and I was living a few miles from a major hospital.  I remember a Norwegian on a banca boat with me traveling across from Puerta Galera to Batangas (22 miles and about a 90 minute journey) just to see if he could get a finger reattached after blowing the damn thing off with a firework the night before, just so far from any decent medical facility.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Horizondave said:

I remember a Norwegian on a banca boat with me traveling across from Puerta Galera to Batangas (22 miles and about a 90 minute journey) just to see if he could get a finger reattached after blowing the damn thing off with a firework the night before, just so far from any decent medical facility.

I was in Cebu for Christmas & New Year 1985/6 & I was warned to get rid of the bangers as soon as they were lit.Some went fzzzzzzzz bang & some went fz bang,all with the same length fuse.

57 minutes ago, coxyhog said:

I was in Cebu for Christmas & New Year 1985/6 & I was warned to get rid of the bangers as soon as they were lit.Some went fzzzzzzzz bang & some went fz bang,all with the same length fuse.

I remember being in Midnight Rambler (original location Barrio Barretto) when guys were lighting roman candles and shooting them across the road at about 2 foot height straight into bars opposite. Any car or motorbike in the way got hit.

They were crazy times and I tended to keep well away, so many kids got injured, losing eyes, losing fingers.

17 hours ago, Horizondave said:

They were crazy times and I tended to keep well away, so many kids got injured, losing eyes, losing fingers.

All the tracer rounds fired into the air come down & sometimes kill people.When I was there the daughter of a newspaper owner was killed by a falling round.

NY in Pattaya my mate used to run the Pleasuredome on Soi PO & they went to a quarry & bought a load of charges which they let off in the street,with cars & bikes going past.Crazy indeed.

Edited by coxyhog
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Horizondave said:

I remember being in Midnight Rambler (original location Barrio Barretto) when guys were lighting roman candles and shooting them across the road at about 2 foot height straight into bars opposite. Any car or motorbike in the way got hit.

New Years Eve in Chiang Mai was like Tokyo during the WW II fire bombings. Never saw anything like it. And at the time sure was glad I was hunkered down in my condo !

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/20/2021 at 5:08 PM, Horizondave said:

Just as an addition to few of the great points already mentioned I would say that health is a major item for many and the availability of high end medical care is sparse in anywhere but the big cities.  Even in Angeles there have been many forum comments over the years about new clinics opening only to close soon after or not offer the care they have set out to provide.

I lived for 5 years in Puerta Galera and Olongapo (Barrio Barretto) and too be honest I was younger then and not much in need of hospital treatments.  As an older person now the health options would be a major requirement so being in the sticks is not such a great idea as it once was.

I also believe that your buck for housing goes much further in Thailand, an average quality home in Philippines in dollar terms would see you get a high quality house in Thailand. A bit like hotels, an average hotel in Philippines costs as much as a high class hotel in Thailand.

I would feel safer overall in Thailand but in 5 years in the Philippines I kept my nose clean. I only had one major problem with a drunk local which luckily was soon sorted once the culprit found out who I was renting from, it was one of the village elders, and I got a personal apology at the door from his nephew (the culprit) accompanied by a large box of San Miguel.

Decent infrastructure overall is better in Thailand but again the cities of Manila and Cebu are acceptable but I could no longer live in Manila although Cebu is a lovely place to be.

The women and the bars offer me a better experience than Thailand  but I couldn't live there now just for that.

If I was younger Philippines is a great place to be but as an older guy I could no longer live in the Philippines unless my income was high and I was living a few miles from a major hospital.  I remember a Norwegian on a banca boat with me traveling across from Puerta Galera to Batangas (22 miles and about a 90 minute journey) just to see if he could get a finger reattached after blowing the damn thing off with a firework the night before, just so far from any decent medical facility.

Yep, spot on and not much has changed regarding decent healthcare,and living in the provinces means at best there might be a local clinic (not 24h) in the nearest town but for any serious healthcare, then it'll need to be in a major city. Obviously a concern for anyone and well worth considering and researching prior to any settlement.

I personally am not too keen on some aspects of Manila such as the traffic and pollution, luckily we're just far enough away not to get too much of either but as Manila has grown, our subdivision has been swallowed up and is classed as being part of it. That said, we eat out most nights when there, have plenty to do during the day and the area has excellent infrastructure nowadays. We also have a place in the wife's village which is coastal over in Bicol. I much prefer it there, especially in the summer, but again the nearest City is Legazpi which is more of a large town with only a couple of Malls and not much else to do.

I think if the Philippines had a similar infrastructure to Thailand, such as the road network, the decent Hotels and accomodation choices etc then it would be a no brainer, sadly the Philippines is lacking in so many areas, a person moving there really needs to do some extensive research before taking the plunge.

However, Bangkok is only a 2 hour and few thousand peso flight away. One potential strategy could be , if one had the finances, to spend time between the two.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/21/2021 at 6:26 PM, coxyhog said:

All the tracer rounds fired into the air come down & sometimes kill people.When I was there the daughter of a newspaper owner was killed by a falling round.

NY in Pattaya my mate used to run the Pleasuredome on Soi PO & they went to a quarry & bought a load of charges which they let off in the street,with cars & bikes going past.Crazy indeed.

I remember the Pleasuredome very well, I played darts for the Britannia Bar on Soi Yamamto when lived there, one of the guys who part owned the Britannia was going out with one of the dancers. Great bar.

In the Philippines they sell a belt of firework bangers called a "Judas Belt" which once lit goes off at random times, they're fucking lethal because each time they go off, it jumps into the air and lands , sometimes nearby. NYE is a crap time to be anywhere in SEA these days!.

Edited by Butch
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Butch said:

I remember the Pleasuredome very well, I played darts for the Britannia Bar on Soi Yamamto when lived there, one of the guys who part owned the Britannia was going out with one of the dancers. Great bar.

When my mate left the Pleasuredome he moved to Bangkok & set up a private detective business:

https://investigationsasia.com/index.php/home

• Like 1