UK Supply chain issues - Food and now fuel.

Butch

13 hours ago, galenkia said:

Spot on. 

In the past I was always right wing in my politics, was a skinhead as a young man, pro Brexit etc., now I appreciate the contribution immigrants make to the community, as you say, doing the shitty low pay work. Now I am far more left wing in my outlook, judge a person by who they are, not their accent or skin colour. Treat everyone equally, we can all contribute to society in the end. 

Big cheers to you Gal ! And a hat tip as well.   :default_229031_thewave:

• Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, galenkia said:

Spot on. 

In the past I was always right wing in my politics, was a skinhead as a young man, pro Brexit etc., now I appreciate the contribution immigrants make to the community, as you say, doing the shitty low pay work. Now I am far more left wing in my outlook, judge a person by who they are, not their accent or skin colour. Treat everyone equally, we can all contribute to society in the end. 

I don't, however, appreciate the contribution immigrants make to draining the NHS (Everyone is afraid to say the true numbers for fear of being branded racist) , our schools and Social welfare costs, low level street crime and violence.

My Mrs is indeed an immigrant who came here to work and contribute and as a means to an end. Even she gets pissy when she sees, which she witnessed, families of Romanians visiting a sick relative and also at the same time attempting to steal other patients' belongings.

Working immigrants, yes, even those with different or lower skillsets, but sponging scumbags who are here as economic migrants purely to take advantage of our fair society and refuse to contribute back into it, can f**k right off home.

This whole "cultural enrichment" thing has not been managed or handled correctly by any of the UK Govts, be they labour or otherwise, although Labour are primarily responsible for the mess, notably that war criminal Tony Bliar who said "we want a multicultural society" yet failed to ask anyonje if they felt the same.

Anyway, Tesco's was sold out of Ambrosia custard would you believe, and those shysters at Walkers have reduced their multi-packs of crisps from 24 down to 22 but still kept them at the same price. Splitters.

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 2

19 minutes ago, Butch said:

I don't, however, appreciate the contribution immigrants make to draining the NHS (Everyone is afraid to say the true numbers for fear of being branded racist) , our schools and Social welfare costs, low level street crime and violence.

My Mrs is indeed an immigrant who came here to work and contribute and as a means to an end. Even she gets pissy when she sees, which she witnessed, families of Romanians visiting a sick relative and also at the same time attempting to steal other patients' belongings.

Working immigrants, yes, even those with different or lower skillsets, but sponging scumbags who are here as economic migrants purely to take advantage of our fair society and refuse to contribute back into it, can f**k right off home.

This whole "cultural enrichment" thing has not been managed or handled correctly by any of the UK Govts, be they labour or otherwise, although Labour are primarily responsible for the mess, notably that war criminal Tony Bliar who said "we want a multicultural society" yet failed to ask anyonje if they felt the same.

Anyway, Tesco's was sold out of Ambrosia custard would you believe, and those shysters at Walkers have reduced their multi-packs of crisps from 24 down to 22 but still kept them at the same price. Splitters.

It's certainly a double edged sword for sure!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, Butch said:

In 2016/17 I worked in Bucharest for 6 months,I had a fantastic time,made many good friends & have been back a few times for social(beery) events.

When I first got there I asked the Romanian wife of an English guy if they noticed any difference when they were first allowed unfettered access to the EU.Yes she said our crime rate dropped by around 30% overnight.

When you stop & think about it if you're a Romanian criminal & you're given the chance to progress your career in London,Paris or Rome then it's a no brainer.I'll bet our prisons are like holiday camps compared to theirs as well.

A great pity the cnut Bliar didn't think of that....but he probably did but didn't care.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Butch said:

Of course, but I mean in general, not everyone of them, same as we have enough of our own scumbags already. But you can't ban everyone because of a minority or us Native British would never be allowed to leave the country ourselves the way many of us act abroad. 

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 2

7 hours ago, galenkia said:

Of course, but I mean in general, not everyone of them, same as we have enough of our own scumbags already. But you can't ban everyone because of a minority or us Native British would never be allowed to leave the country ourselves the way many of us act abroad. 

You're spot on, I'd happily swap a dinghy full of illegal immigrants who are eager and keen to work for any given bunch of English layabouts living on benefits all their lives. I don't think it would do a family of scroungers any harm to spend a week facing some real hardships.

I think a lot of it is people perceive the balance to be skewed, and they think that all migrants are coming here for benefits. They're not, a sizeable chunk are actually coming to work, although the UK gives them a headstart they never had in their own Country.

I work alongside a few Eastern European guys and really can't fault their work ethic at all. We have a couple of guys from the ME, one from Iraq and one from Afghanistan and again, great couple of guys who bear no malice or anger towards the UK or British people for the events that happened in their own Countries. I think that in itself takes a fair bit of kindness.

However, saying that I don't think the way some of them behave is going to go any way further to ingratiate themselves with the general public, but as you said and I totally agree, looking at how many of us act abroad we can hardly start throwing stones.

Edited by Butch
  • Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Butch said:

You're spot on, I'd happily swap a dinghy full of illegal immigrants who are eager and keen to work for any given bunch of English layabouts living on benefits all their lives. I don't think it would do a family of scroungers any harm to spend a week facing some real hardships.

I think a lot of it is people perceive the balance to be skewed, and they think that all migrants are coming here for benefits. They're not, a sizeable chunk are actually coming to work, although the UK gives them a headstart they never had in their own Country.

I work alongside a few Eastern European guys and really can't fault their work ethic at all. We have a couple of guys from the ME, one from Iraq and one from Afghanistan and again, great couple of guys who bear no malice or anger towards the UK or British people for the events that happened in their own Countries. I think that in itself takes a fair bit of kindness.

However, saying that I don't think the way some of them behave is going to go any way further to ingratiate themselves with the general public, but as you said and I totally agree, looking at how many of us act abroad we can hardly start throwing stones.

I live in a "high tech" area with a wide diversity of immigrants and those here on work permits or visas (all levels). High percentage of them paying taxes, working hard, buying homes, cars and whatever. Some of them running lawn mowers and leaf blowers, some of them working at IBM on the next super computer, or at one of the many nationally renowned medical research centers. Never have a problem with any of them (with the occasional exception of a dysfunctional driver).

Then I look at some of the home grown inbreds such as the scum that stormed the Capitol on Jan. 6th, and I can only cringe.

• Like 6
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not the UK, but the latest from China demonstrates how easy it is to put the sheeple into panic mode.

I saw this headline "China is urging families to stock up on food as supply challenges multiply" earlier this week and thought, WTF, why would a govt make such an announcement. By doing so they all but guaranteed shortages.

So not surprised to read this today.
How a warning about food supply sparked panic buying in China

Another lesson on how not to run a country.

Edited by forcebwithu

A few weeks after the fuel panic in UK, most forecourts are open as usual. 

BUT........... 

The price of fuel has skyrocketed 

No wonder no more fuel duty was added in the recent budget. That is going to have a major knock on effect on prices in the shops as delivery costs start to rise as a result.

I wonder if the fuel panic was a forerunner to this or just simply rising costs of oil?

The cost of delivery of fuel has risen following driver shortages and increased wages, but the cost of a litre of unleaded has gone up by over 35p a litre over the last few months

9 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

I wonder if the fuel panic was a forerunner to this or just simply rising costs of oil?

Yep! Fuel costs in WA just went through the roof.

Apparently OPEC is restricting production.

Edited by fygjam

Last Christmas I was paying 106.9p at a local Tesco here in Neath, today that same Tesco is 146.9p, that has a very large impact on my fuel budget especially as nearly everyday (presently) I am taking my wife to/from work which adds 3 hours a week driving time to my normal driving needs.

Edited by Horizondave
  • Sad 1
  • Surprised 1

5 hours ago, Nightcrawler said:

A few weeks after the fuel panic in UK, most forecourts are open as usual. 

BUT........... 

The price of fuel has skyrocketed 

No wonder no more fuel duty was added in the recent budget. That is going to have a major knock on effect on prices in the shops as delivery costs start to rise as a result.

The cost of delivery of fuel has risen following driver shortages and increased wages, but the cost of a litre of unleaded has gone up by over 35p a litre over the last few months

Rising costs of oil as it isn't limited to the UK.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just be forewarned guys, it never hurts to stock up and store stuff if you have the space. There's no panic buying yet because it's out of the news at the moment, all going on about the climate, but it is a matter of time before "shortages" make the headlines again leading up to Xmas.

I've got 30kg of rice here, along with about 40 tinned meats of varying types, plus the freezer is full and also has frozen veg in it but mostly meat. Each time I go to Tesco now I tend to get 2 of everything, such as tinned stuff, coffee, tea, sugar , UHT Milk and cooking oil as well as noodles and cereal, because if it kicks off again I at least want a headstart. I tend to drip feed into our supplies rather than bulk buy, as it gives a better overview of what is needed and what is surplus.

Fresh veg is a bit harder to store long term, but spuds are cheap and last a good while.

It might sound a bit OTT, but I'm not leaving the shelves bare when I buy stuff, just trying to cover the bases because I really think this will soon start to bite harder in different areas of the supply chain. Although any shortages will hopefully be temporary, I can well do without going to the supermarket and fighting my way through the crowds again.

Edited by Butch
  • Like 2
  • Surprised 1

30 minutes ago, Butch said:

Just be forewarned guys, it never hurts to stock up and store stuff if you have the space. There's no panic buying yet because it's out of the news at the moment, all going on about the climate, but it is a matter of time before "shortages" make the headlines again leading up to Xmas.

I've got 30kg of rice here, along with about 40 tinned meats of varying types, plus the freezer is full and also has frozen veg in it but mostly meat. Each time I go to Tesco now I tend to get 2 of everything, such as tinned stuff, coffee, tea, sugar , UHT Milk and cooking oil as well as noodles and cereal, because if it kicks off again I at least want a headstart. I tend to drip feed into our supplies rather than bulk buy, as it gives a better overview of what is needed and what is surplus.

Fresh veg is a bit harder to store long term, but spuds are cheap and last a good while.

It might sound a bit OTT, but I'm not leaving the shelves bare when I buy stuff, just trying to cover the bases because I really think this will soon start to bite harder in different areas of the supply chain. Although any shortages will hopefully be temporary, I can well do without going to the supermarket and fighting my way through the crowds again.

Do you really feel it will get that bad again?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, coxyhog said:

Frozen veg is as good as fresh

In a comparison I see a couple of years ago, they checked all the nutrients in a lab and frozen veg came out above fresh for everything. I think it is because it is blast frozen so quickly after being picked.

Edited by boydeste
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, galenkia said:

Doubt I need to stock up as I can't see a rush for my vegan shite.😀

I have struggled to get my usual frozen veg this past month or two, Tescos seem to have caught up now.

Maybe I need to fill the freezer up some more!

• Thumbs Up 1

Soft drinks section at Waitrose has been a bit hit and miss this week, but everything else has been fine.Can usually pick up everything I need between there, Morrison and M&S.Only really a day or two and stock is back in.

Local BP is 1.50 a litre but I won't be needing as much fuel over winter as I cut down the pleasure rides anyway.

1 hour ago, coxyhog said:

Had a calamity when doing my mums shopping on Thursday.

Sainsburys had run out of Custard Creams!

Some bastard must be stockpiling them.

Get down Lidl, they were doing a box of about 10 different varieties of custard creams, didn't buy them as I don't really do biscuits but looked very interesting.

9 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

Get down Lidl, they were doing a box of about 10 different varieties of custard creams, didn't buy them as I don't really do biscuits but looked very interesting.

Cheers for that but my mum has to get whatever they have in Sainsburys,she's not too fussy.

• Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, boydeste said:

Do you really feel it will get that bad again?

I work in supply chains, and our capacity where I work is always a good indication of how the supply chain is / is not working.

At the moment we are sacrificing part of our empty storage capacity for imported goods - good because the goods have arrived ex ship, bad because some of them have been on dwell for over 7 weeks. That's almost 2 months and unheard of within my industry unless something is on either Customs hold or Health quarantine. Last time we did this was in deepest covid in mid 2020 due to staff shortages and also partly Brexit.

Perishable goods get priority as always, but they are not getting distributed, instead, they are getting moved and "de vanned" outside , because the charge for the refrigerated containers (called reefers 🙂  ) being plugged in is somewhat extortionate, so the goods they have are being taken out and stored in consolidation areas, or sent over to Frigoscandia at Kings Lynn, essentially a huge frozen food storage facility and elsewhere where they sit until demand can be met.

So, in all truth the Govt can claim there is not a shortage of say, frozen chickens, there isn't, because there's 1500 containers full of the stuff stacked in and around various UK ports and distribution centres. There is a shortage in the supermarkets, because not enough staff to deliver them.

Most shortages will apply to perishable goods for the most part, the stuff we eat and drink every day. However, as holiday season approaches demand picks up, supply drys up and then the panic and rumours start. Then the non perishable foods begin to get hit and at that point all hell breaks loose.

I am hoping it will not get that bad again, but it would not help to just grab a bit extra, only a can of beans, bag of rice or whatever each time you shop. Lalia Rice is currently on offer, £16 for a 10kg bag I think, nationally in most Asian stores.

Edited by Butch
  • Like 1
  • Great Info 1