How much sleep do you get vs how much sleep you need.

Butch

Working shifts and keeping in contact with the Philippines means that my sleep pattern is everywhere, but as long as I can get 7 hours somewhere within a 24 hour period, I'm ok.

I'm more of a night owl, I feel more shattered after a 12 hour dayshift than a 12 hour night, but I always sleep longer during the day than at nightime. If I fall short of the 7 hours I need to function normally then I'm ok, but it does catch up after 24 hours, I'm also a very, very light sleeper so I need earplugs in all the time.

The longest I've slept in recent years (apart from when I had Covid) was 13 hours solid. I'd been on a busy project and was feeling a bit under the weather anyway, so when I got home I was well and truly chinstrapped.

These days  I don't think we sleep as much as we would like, or indeed as much as we need to.

Edited by Butch
  • Like 1

I am a good sleeper and need my 8 hours per day. During a week's fishing where my sleep is often disturbed by one thing or another,  hopefully a big fish, I will go home absolutely knackered. 

Fortunately I have the ability to sleep for as long as it takes to recover.  Often 12 hours in one night.

Edited by boydeste
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

I do not get enough sleep, I never seem to sleep over 7 hours and normal is 6.

I am exactly the same although I do not seem to need more and have always been an early bird..

More annoying is waking most nights around 03:00am needing a piss and although most nights I go straight off to sleep again sometimes I end up reading my kindle at 03:30.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jambo said:

I am exactly the same although I do not seem to need more and have always been an early bird..

More annoying is waking most nights around 03:00am needing a piss and although most nights I go straight off to sleep again sometimes I end up reading my kindle at 03:30.

The waking up for a piss, for me usually after 5 hours kip, unless on the pop, isn't going to change with age methinks. The ability to go for a piss in a semi dormant state and return to bed without activating the brain is an ability I hope to keep for the rest of my days.

14 minutes ago, boydeste said:

The waking up for a piss, for me usually after 5 hours kip, unless on the pop, isn't going to change with age methinks. The ability to go for a piss in a semi dormant state and return to bed without activating the brain is an ability I hope to keep for the rest of my days.

I have this skill, I don't turn the bathroom light on so as not to disturb the Mrs, on the understanding that she doesn't leave the seat down, which only ever happened the one time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Jambo said:

I'm similar, wake for a piss early hours though rarely get back to sleep as I'm up at 4am for work.

Usually sleep around 5 hours a night.

• Like 1

I've been retired for a while now so usually go to bed between 10.30-midnight & crawl out of bed somewhere between 9-11am.Sometimes I have to have a piss around 4-5am & have trouble going back to sleep but I persevere.

I used to work some bloody awful shifts on aircraft but did my last stint on nights in 2004 and vowed I would never do any more.That one was 5 on 5 off in Geneva & on my 5 days off I'd go clubbing until the early hours to try to keep my body clock in sync.

Wherever possible I used to treat nights like an inverted dayshift & have a few beers before going to bed.Still fucking hated it though.I was perpetually knackered.

• Like 1

Used to be up at 06:30 every day for work ,  probably averaged about six hours a night 

now retired , my sleep patterns are all over the place , most nights I don't get to sleep until 02:00 - 03:00 .. only set an alarm on a Tuesday at 08:30 for Pilates or if I have another appointment..if not wake up when I'm ready at around 10:30 / 11:00 ...

need to try and get to bed earlier, so I can enjoy more of the day , especially now as days are getting shorter ... 

• Like 3

What with the days of Lockdown, illness recovery, being retired and getting older, my sleep patterns are all over the place these days. It's quite often that I will wake up at 6 or 7 am, then most afternoons, if at home, I have a siesta for 2 or 3 hours. Then not tired late in the evenings and go to bed. Doesn't seem to matter how physically active I have been. 

I think that not having a routine has a lot to do with it. 

Whilst I often experienced stress when working full time, I almost miss it now as I am seldom stressed over anything these days. I guess I just sleep when tired and I have very vivid dreams almost every night. 

I think I am under stimulated 

• Like 2

I think I get enough sleep but not too much sleep.

I am always up at 4am. I sit outside about 5am with my coffee then decide my plan for today. I then take stuff out the freezer. Then just fucking do it! (Today I have to cut my hedge then go to 7/11 @11am). Lazy day really so won't take a nap until tonight.

The best sleep is always directly after a long walk. The first thing I do is glug down a bottle of Siam Sato, then change out of my sweat sodden clothes before glugging down a second bottle of Siam Sato. Then I lay on my bed and doze off for an hour. I normally wake up with the cat licking my ankles...It saves having to take a shower, besides I live alone and can smell as bad as I bloody well want!

I generally fall asleep around nine so I sleep between 7 or 8 hours in a 24 hour period.

I never have nothing to do!

• Like 2

Sods Law!

I woke up this morning at 03:10 for my nightly piss.

Came back to bed and immediately thought about my comments in this topic. Needless to say I gave up trying to get back to sleep after a while and ended up making myself a coffee at 05:30.

• Haha 3

I think my best ever sleeping pattern was in Oman when on early shift.Awake at 0530 for breakfast & an 0630 start.Finish at 1230,lunch then back to my bedroom,turn the AC off & the ceiling fan on & have the deepest most satisfying sleep ever for 2-3 hours.

I remember reading of an experiment where people went without day/night cycles & were left to form their own sleep patterns.4-5hrs then 8ish hours awake then 2-3hrs sleep was what most people did.

I generally put the lights out by 10:00 after reading in bed for a while, depending on how much I've had to drink beforehand; if I've had a few beer I usually eat a pot cookie that I buy off of a friend and that will let me sleep a little better. I'm up two or three times to piss in the night but usually can get back to sleep - however, if I can't I just get up and onto my computer for a couple of hours and then try again. I generally wake up finally between 0700 and 0800 and get up then. I haven't worked for a couple of years now, when I was working I'd wake up at least an hour earlier. 

• Like 1

Typically 6-7 hours per night. Short catnaps in the day after eating my banana....lol

I found if I wake up after about 4 hours that a small glass of OJ and a small handful of candy (like jelly beans) puts me out for another 2 hours or so.

Every blue moon I may sleep up to 10 hours if I am knackered. But rate.

When I work out and take long walks during the day (like lately) I sleep solid, and feel fine throughout the next day. If I sleep like shit I am a grouchy s.o.b. and avoid people because I hate being crabby around other people.

7 hours ago, Yessongs said:

7-8 hours for me.....get a kick out of guys who tell me " It must be great to be retired, you can sleep in until noon???

38 years in Tech, my eyes start " flickering" about 7:00am like clockwork every morning. 

Yep.

I actually sleep less since I have been retired. But.... the good thing is not necessarily being able to sleep "longer" it's just that if you feel tired the next day you don't have to do shit. lol

And... on the nights you can't fall asleep until late, you can wake up late without worrying about it. Not being to fall asleep when you know you have to get up early for something important is sheer torture.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, coxyhog said:

I think my best ever sleeping pattern was in Oman when on early shift.Awake at 0530 for breakfast & an 0630 start.Finish at 1230,lunch then back to my bedroom,turn the AC off & the ceiling fan on & have the deepest most satisfying sleep ever for 2-3 hours.

I remember reading of an experiment where people went without day/night cycles & were left to form their own sleep patterns.4-5hrs then 8ish hours awake then 2-3hrs sleep was what most people did.

I used to do rotating shifts (3 fucking shifts, 3 week rotation) absolute hell.

• Sad 1

On 9/28/2021 at 3:21 AM, Butch said:

I have this skill, I don't turn the bathroom light on so as not to disturb the Mrs

I used to have an employment related skill whereby I had to wake up instantly and be fully aware of my surroundings. I grew used to having a low light on at all times and now I happily sleep with a light on as it keeps the nightmares to a minimum.

After that, I have spent more than 30 years living in hotels all over the world and I definitely kept the bathroom light on all night to stop me pissing everywhere....Although in some hotels it would be difficult to tell if I had made it to the toilet or not !

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

I used to have an employment related skill whereby I had to wake up instantly and be fully aware of my surroundings. I grew used to having a low light on at all times and now I happily sleep with a light on as it keeps the nightmares to a minimum.

After that, I have spent more than 30 years living in hotels all over the world and I definitely kept the bathroom light on all night to stop me pissing everywhere....Although in some hotels it would be difficult to tell if I had made it to the toilet or not !

Sounds like you used to do nights shifts in a NOC that needed you to be alert when something happened or someone called.