Hiroshima and the A-Bomb Dome!

Sherlock

• 7 months later...

My uncle and namesake was a POW in a camp in the hills near Nagasaki. He was a squadron leader and 23 years old.  They starved him to death, but had he lived, he would have seen the bomb go off. He’s now buried in the War grave cemetery in Sydney.  

The wife & son and her family usually go to Japan at least once a year when she’s in Thailand and love their time there. 

On 10/2/2018 at 4:23 PM, tommy dee said:

my speciality//  the russian led govt then named us the british american terror flieger.  and yes dresden was an inferno, the air wasnt on fire but most of the oxygen was burned.  it was also the beginning of the end as far as bombing uk was concerned.    the bombing of london, and any city in the uk was also intense and the total bombs in london far exceeeded dresden, just over a longer period.  dresdan was, sadly, a pr job for the jerries.  bu then again cologne, koeln, was also bombed but with the order that the cathedral be left standing, that from churchill as a result of coventry.

My dad joined up in early 1939 and eventually ended up in Burma, leaving mum home alone with a baby in their home on the south coast. 

She went out one day to get a loaf of bread with the baby, an air raid started and a lot of bombs were dropped and when she eventually got home, it was gone, along with everything they had in the World. Dad got home from the war in 1947. 

• 1 year later...