Hiroshima and the A-Bomb Dome!

Sherlock

IMG_4993_zpsu3qmjyg2.jpg[/size]

IMG_4994_zpsvtry37ej.jpg

This is the tourist office/cafe, and do great ice cream for only 100 Yen.......................................

IMG_4995_zpsjkwkmpiv.jpg

IMG_5003_zps4u2sdhny.jpg

IMG_5006_zpsre81mqm1.jpg

The before and after shot....................................

IMG_5009_zpskmcbxoa5.jpg

IMG_5013_zps0xpof8wi.jpg

IMG_5016_zps1dgbbrdv.jpg

IMG_5021_zpsznxhfr5o.jpg

IMG_5022_zpsog3nf5ep.jpg

IMG_5026_zpswr0dymm1.jpg

IMG_5031_zps4tsfxu2h.jpg

IMG_5032_zpsxvx05xqw.jpg

IMG_5037_zps09agizgn.jpg

IMG_5044_zpsjqxc7qiw.jpg[/size]

IMG_5052_zpstktorn2s.jpg

IMG_5054_zpsgabkpvrm.jpg

IMG_5059_zpsapvqhtze.jpg

IMG_5064_zps6knc7xuu.jpg

IMG_5067_zpselyof9e3.jpg

IMG_5071_zpsqhhwnkw6.jpg

IMG_5077_zpszijuwvup.jpg

IMG_5079_zpsqdv70b6f.jpg

IMG_5091_zpsjd2chdfb.jpg

IMG_5095_zps0g84iecu.jpg

IMG_5096_zpsregzah8v.jpg

IMG_5100_zpsb7uietbo.jpg

IMG_5103_zpsysjnprhe.jpg

IMG_5105_zpse24xv7m4.jpg

• Thanks 1

IMG_5113_zpsqpmu1ew0.jpg[/size]

IMG_5126_zpsdinnvtyn.jpg

This brown stone plague, represents Ground Zero in Hiroshima. It was on this spot, approx 600 meters above this plaque that the bomb detonated.....................

IMG_5131_zpsknutbyv7.jpg

Little things amused little minds. These kids were picking out their favourite Pokemon characters on a poster.....................................

IMG_5135_zpsy6k15ceq.jpg

IMG_5136_zpslsrfkrx6.jpg

IMG_5138_zpsuakr6np0.jpg

IMG_5143_zpslqbzikgt.jpg

IMG_5165_zpsmzfzf2v2.jpg

IMG_5167_zpsnoxeamsq.jpg

Behind these trees and concrete, lies the military command post of the Japanese army. It was from here that the very first reports of an Atomic explosion were made from by a female Japanese soldier......................................

IMG_5172_zpstvoqgox9.jpg

IMG_5180_zpspjgoxirc.jpg

IMG_5183_zpsykofnn5a.jpg

IMG_5187_zpslmvikwgm.jpg

IMG_5196_zps9rl3s5n4.jpg

IMG_5206_zpsfkntdacc.jpg

IMG_5211_zpss6kdik6d.jpg[/size]

IMG_5217_zpsom1wgc9z.jpg

IMG_5227_zpsf0fvf4bf.jpg

IMG_5232_zpsbnjixloc.jpg

IMG_5239_zpsv2nud0ch.jpg

IMG_5248_zpszrcghqwy.jpg

IMG_5250_zpsbear9rar.jpg

IMG_5282_zps1qujtmih.jpg

IMG_5283_zpscmzrpdqz.jpg

IMG_5287_zpst3fw5sgk.jpg

IMG_5288_zpsmosgq1cf.jpg

The former Bank of Japan building, is also another building that survived the blast. The whole outer structure survived intact, just the inside and all floors was completely gutted!!! This is now a museum that you can tour round..................

IMG_5290_zpsrtfyasot.jpg

Even the original tram tracks survived the bomb blast. Trams were apparently running again only 5 days  after the explosion...........................

IMG_5295_zpsi0cxcgnb.jpg

IMG_5303_zpsqcsd11bi.jpg

IMG_5305_zpsrd99r4pe.jpg

• Thanks 1

IMG_5306_zpsxglyldv4.jpg[/size]

IMG_5310_zps0b4i8xvt.jpg

Another one of the very few buildings to survive the blast. This is whats left of a school, just around the back of the hotel i was staying in........................

IMG_5315_zpss0ox8qs9.jpg

IMG_5317_zpsm5ewjpae.jpg

IMG_5318_zpsc8474gps.jpg

IMG_5320_zpsligzjznm.jpg

IMG_5323_zpsc0zfqqff.jpg

Even more paper cranes..................................

IMG_5327_zpsfrqpnfmn.jpg

IMG_5333_zps1fxvjy3o.jpg

IMG_5340_zpse9014yta.jpg

Seems that Asiana don't want their aircraft back after its little "skidding incident" a couple of months ago!!!!!..................................

IMG_5583_zpsycnly4hs.jpg

IMG_5577_zpskiyfvogs.jpg

IMG_5578_zpslevljhm9.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Sherlock said:

Not sure. All I know is Hiroshima and the A Bomb are required learning in Japanese schools!

So it should be. I watched a very interesting history documentary on this, their reasoning that America hit civilian targets was to shock Russia, to show them what Moscow would look like should they go to War with the US. I believe that.

great pics as always.  your next trip should be Dresden.  i was there before the wall came down, and they had simply built a wall around muchof the old city and left it.  no digital back then sadly but I remember calling my mum and in the chat saying what a mess we made.. her words.. well you should learn more about coventry.  war is what it is.  and the nips started it in asia

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tommy dee said:

great pics as always.  your next trip should be Dresden.  i was there before the wall came down, and they had simply built a wall around muchof the old city and left it.  no digital back then sadly but I remember calling my mum and in the chat saying what a mess we made.. her words.. well you should learn more about coventry.  war is what it is.  and the nips started it in asia

Debatable Tommy. If we dig too deep about Wars then there's nobody innocent.

Yeah, Dresden got bombed out of existence. As did Coventry but I think Dresden was hit harder. Even the air was on fire the bombing so severe. Wars are fought for money and power. And they use the innocents to do their evil work.

Fascinating photos in this thread. Really good to see.

• Like 1

A friend visited the memorial site in Hiroshima and noticed all the school kids crying and a general outpouring of grief. No mention of the atrocities committed by the Japanese. Also excluded from their school history books.

57 minutes ago, john1000 said:

A friend visited the memorial site in Hiroshima and noticed all the school kids crying and a general outpouring of grief. No mention of the atrocities committed by the Japanese. Also excluded from their school history books.

Of course not. History teaching is very selective. Same every Country. 

4 hours ago, farangme said:

Debatable Tommy. If we dig too deep about Wars then there's nobody innocent.

Yeah, Dresden got bombed out of existence. As did Coventry but I think Dresden was hit harder. Even the air was on fire the bombing so severe. Wars are fought for money and power. And they use the innocents to do their evil work.

Fascinating photos in this thread. Really good to see.

my speciality//  the russian led govt then named us the british american terror flieger.  and yes dresden was an inferno, the air wasnt on fire but most of the oxygen was burned.  it was also the beginning of the end as far as bombing uk was concerned.    the bombing of london, and any city in the uk was also intense and the total bombs in london far exceeeded dresden, just over a longer period.  dresdan was, sadly, a pr job for the jerries.  bu then again cologne, koeln, was also bombed but with the order that the cathedral be left standing, that from churchill as a result of coventry.

11 minutes ago, tommy dee said:

my speciality//  the russian led govt then named us the british american terror flieger.  and yes dresden was an inferno, the air wasnt on fire but most of the oxygen was burned.  it was also the beginning of the end as far as bombing uk was concerned.    the bombing of london, and any city in the uk was also intense and the total bombs in london far exceeeded dresden, just over a longer period.  dresdan was, sadly, a pr job for the jerries.  bu then again cologne, koeln, was also bombed but with the order that the cathedral be left standing, that from churchill as a result of coventry.

We came so close to winning. Oh well, Merkal won in the end.:D

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, tommy dee said:

Bomber Harris did continue to bomb places like Hamburg repeatedly with no military merit long after the German threat was diminished. Germany, in the end took many more bombs than any other country. 

23 hours ago, Sherlock said:

IMG_5306_zpsxglyldv4.jpg[/size]

IMG_5310_zps0b4i8xvt.jpg

Another one of the very few buildings to survive the blast. This is whats left of a school, just around the back of the hotel i was staying in........................

IMG_5315_zpss0ox8qs9.jpg

IMG_5317_zpsm5ewjpae.jpg

IMG_5318_zpsc8474gps.jpg

IMG_5320_zpsligzjznm.jpg

IMG_5323_zpsc0zfqqff.jpg

Even more paper cranes..................................

IMG_5327_zpsfrqpnfmn.jpg

IMG_5333_zps1fxvjy3o.jpg

IMG_5340_zpse9014yta.jpg

Seems that Asiana don't want their aircraft back after its little "skidding incident" a couple of months ago!!!!!..................................

IMG_5583_zpsycnly4hs.jpg

IMG_5577_zpskiyfvogs.jpg

IMG_5578_zpslevljhm9.jpg

Really good pics

• Like 1

6 hours ago, john1000 said:

Bomber Harris did continue to bomb places like Hamburg repeatedly with no military merit long after the German threat was diminished. Germany, in the end took many more bombs than any other country. 

check out Malta!  but u r right, hamburg and another city on the same coast was well bombed.  we have to remember tho that germany's disadvantage i8s that it has actually got very little coastline and only a few large ports.  hence Hamburg ports and supply route was an essentail knock out.

Couple of extra ones from my pics inside the museum.

The red ball illustrates where the bomb exploded, ie high above the ground which surprised me, although thinking about it it does make sense.

Also the bombs weren’t that big, 4 or 5 foot maybe?

29CD4F10-04B0-41AA-B688-1A20584F37D8.jpeg

2828499C-157E-4234-BDA9-2765B7A6D108.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

SHERLOCK....do you get the impression they are teaching the children so they dont allow the same to happen again? 

that was the german approach and it has worked for sure.Germans never hid the history fo the war in schools, did a damn good job of making sure the children knew the score

51 minutes ago, tommy dee said:

SHERLOCK....do you get the impression they are teaching the children so they dont allow the same to happen again? 

that was the german approach and it has worked for sure.Germans never hid the history fo the war in schools, did a damn good job of making sure the children knew the score

Yes, that's the impression I get too. Showing them the fallout, the cost to human life, and how it cant be allowed to happen again.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I used to work for a Japanese company, now I really liked and respected my Japanese colleagues, but there was always that underlying, revulsion of the atrocities that were carried out probably by their fathers and grandfathers , on the Burma death railway and also other allies and civilians in  South East Asia , all in the name of the emperor, which no one as apologised for ......

• Like 1

On 10/5/2018 at 12:11 AM, tommy dee said:

The problem is though the Germans have taken it too far they will not even  protect their own citizens these days , in case of offending anyone ...

• Thumbs Up 1