E-visa for Thailand

6 minutes ago, boydeste said:

So you still have to post stuff off, ffs.

Screenshot_20210928-210727_Chrome.jpg

Not sure which page you are looking at, Stew.... the link Stillearly gives and the thaievisa page all state you dont send passport in!

Screenshot_20210928-201529_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Painter
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Painter said:

Not sure which page you are looking at, Stew.... the link Stillearly gives and the thaievisa page all state you dont send passport in!

This is directly from the link to the embassy Screenshot_20210928-211724_Chrome.jpg

Edited by boydeste

I suspect that nothing much has changed other than you don't now post your passport.  I imagine you will still have to upload all the documents, then still post hard copies along with your printed out application form.

Which would be a slight improvement,  but ffs, with modern IT, how hard can it be to have a fully functioning system? 

Time will tell as our esteemed mod @john lukewas looking to travel back soon I believe. 

27 minutes ago, boydeste said:

with modern IT, how hard can it be to have a fully functioning system? 

Unfortunately "the system" consists of issuing the visa, immigration on arrival and further visits to immigration in any sleepy town up North/down South if you wish to extend or change to a retirement/marriage/AO visa.

For me a stamp in your passport is the only way.

22 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

Unfortunately "the system" consists of issuing the visa, immigration on arrival and further visits to immigration in any sleepy town up North/down South if you wish to extend or change to a retirement/marriage/AO visa.

For me a stamp in your passport is the only way.

That is fine, you get that on arrival. Entry requirements to Canada are all done online. You then get stamped at immigration. All easy and no stress.

Why can't Thailand do the same. Even with the current system you had to upload all the information first to get it approved,  then for some reason only known to them, the whole lot has to be printed out and posted to them!

Am I missing something here?

:default_1087:

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, boydeste said:

That is fine, you get that on arrival. Entry requirements to Canada are all done online. You then get stamped at immigration. All easy and no stress.

Why can't Thailand do the same. Even with the current system you had to upload all the information first to get it approved,  then for some reason only known to them, the whole lot has to be printed out and posted to them!

Am I missing something here?

:default_1087:

Not travelled since COE has been required, January 2020 IIRC after online submission for TR I only sent passport, payment was made online, and no supporting documents.

EDIT  - Page with barcode also sent with passport.

Edited by bob lt
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, bob lt said:

Not travelled since COE has been required, January 2020 IIRC after online submission for TR I only sent passport, payment was made online, and no supporting documents.

EDIT  - Page with barcode also sent with passport.

I did it with the COE and had to send everything including the 100k bucks insurance,  which they declined because it didn't have my middle name on the policy. They later accepted it when I sent it back via email. 

Proper pain in the ass, the online system is tricky to navigate the first time too.

Edited by boydeste
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, boydeste said:

I did it with the COE and had to send everything including the 100k bucks insurance,  which they declined because it didn't have my middle name on the policy. They later accepted it when I sent it back via email. 

Proper pain in the ass, the online system is tricky to navigate the first time too.

When they first required online submission for TR I chickened out, went 30 day exempt - 1 week in Vietnam - 30 day exempt again.

I read an excellent post on Thai Visa detailing the process so tried it for my visit in 2020,  COE not invented then. Following submission I received an email requesting bank statement with name and address, originally I had uploaded the cover page with name/address and opening closing balance, Lloyds paper statements with transactions include neither name nor address, fixed by downloading online copy. Sent that and complimented them on the service. Only lost a couple of days.

I read now that payment is non refundable in case of errors, advise check carefully first. I hope they are not playing hardball and will allow some leniency.

3 hours ago, bob lt said:

When they first required online submission for TR I chickened out, went 30 day exempt - 1 week in Vietnam - 30 day exempt again.

I read an excellent post on Thai Visa detailing the process so tried it for my visit in 2020,  COE not invented then. Following submission I received an email requesting bank statement with name and address, originally I had uploaded the cover page with name/address and opening closing balance, Lloyds paper statements with transactions include neither name nor address, fixed by downloading online copy. Sent that and complimented them on the service. Only lost a couple of days.

I read now that payment is non refundable in case of errors, advise check carefully first. I hope they are not playing hardball and will allow some leniency.

I did a similar thing in October 2019, went in visa exempt for 30 days, then went to the Philippines, back in on another 30 days exempt. In Jan 2020 I did the online 60 days TV with no problems at all. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Email I got from Thai Embassy asking about current visa process , no need to post passport 

Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for your email.

1)

If you wish to apply for a Tourist visa (60 days) & COE, please follow the steps below. 

2)

Please note that all in-person visa services are suspended. Visa services will be provided online only.  .

3)

1) Please visit www.thaievisa.go.th 
2) Sign up for individual   
3) Complete the visa application, submit and make a payment online 
4) From 27 September 2021, you do not need to post your passport and original supporting documents to the embassy. 
5) Instead, your visa will be approved online, and a confirmation e-mail will be sent to your registered email address. 
6) You may print a copy of your visa for airlines and Thai Immigration officials to carry out checks when traveling to Thailand.  

4)

Providing you meet all the eligibility criteria, and uploaded all the required documents in the visa system, the current online visa processing time is approximately 2-3 working days, from the date your visa application is submitted 

Please check online for your visa status. "Finished" & "Issued Visa" means your visa has been granted, and the online email confirmation has been sent to you. 

5)

Once the visa has been approved (or if you have an existing valid visa, or if you wish to go on a visa exemption), you may proceed to apply for a Certificate of Entry (COE). All passengers traveling to Thailand need a COE issued by the Royal Thai Embassy to enter the country. Each passenger has to register and apply individually.  

(Please note for visa exemption, please choose "medium-term stay" and then "visa exemption" on the COE application.) 

6)

Also, prior to your departure, it is necessary for all non-Thai passengers to have the following documents ready to be presented to the immigration upon your arrival. Failure to do so can result in the denial of entering the Kingdom of Thailand. 

1. The Certificate of Entry issued by the Royal Thai Embassy  
3. Medical certificate with a laboratory result indicating that COVID-19 is not detected (COVID test must be by RT-PCR method), issued within 72 hours before departure 
4. Copy of your insurance policy which covers COVID and no less than 100,000 USD medical coverage 
5. Copy of your Confirmed booking at an ASQ hotel (if you are arriving in Bangkok), or SHA hotel if you are participating in the Phuket Sandbox.  
6. T.8 form 

I hope this is of assistance, but please do let us know if you have any further questions.

Warmest regards,
The Visa Team
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Info 2

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...
11 hours ago, bob lt said:

Just applied online for tourist visa, via London embassy = [email protected]

Added passport bio page, photo, flight info, first hotel confirmation (2 days only) and put address for next hotel, finally document to indicate current location (copy of council tax).

Submitted at 14.30 and received visa at 21.45 same day. all times UK. Certainly a record for me.

I book a hotel with cancellation free policy and cancel once visa is received. My long stay address is a guesthouse but all communication is via Line, not confident a couple of Line messages would be accepted for proof of accommodation.

That's super quick, I may go for another TV for my next visit instead of a visa run.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just for everyone's info....

A French couple who own a condo in the complex I stay in come over for October and November, go home for December, then return for 2 months during January, february and March.

They do it on 30 day visa exempt stamps, and have done so for many years.

During their last trip, they visited jomtien immigration to extend their stamp, waited all morning, and were told to return 3 days later. They did, and all was well.

For this trip, their stamp expires on Saturday 10th. They went to immigration on Tuesday,  6th, queued from 8am until 11, and were told to return on thursday 8th. Today (8th) they hit jomtien at 8am, got ticket number 71. At 11am, the doors were effectively slammed in their faces... come back tomorrow. Fortunately they had by this time handed the forms, passport and money  in, so tomorrow is just a case of (hopefully) collecting their passport.

They are both mid 70s, and "can turn computer on,  but....".

Their next trip has already got a side trip to Laos, and the one after that a 2 week trip to Bali.

I know this is jomtien not elsewhere in the country, but seems a good advert to get a 60 day tourist visa to me.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

15 minutes ago, Painter said:

know this is jomtien not elsewhere in the country, but seems a good advert to get a 60 day tourist visa to me.

Don't know if France uses the e-visa system but from the UK I think it is easier than extending at Immigration and also cheaper. 1350 bt v 1900.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Painter said:

Just for everyone's info....

A French couple who own a condo in the complex I stay in come over for October and November, go home for December, then return for 2 months during January, february and March.

They do it on 30 day visa exempt stamps, and have done so for many years.

During their last trip, they visited jomtien immigration to extend their stamp, waited all morning, and were told to return 3 days later. They did, and all was well.

For this trip, their stamp expires on Saturday 10th. They went to immigration on Tuesday,  6th, queued from 8am until 11, and were told to return on thursday 8th. Today (8th) they hit jomtien at 8am, got ticket number 71. At 11am, the doors were effectively slammed in their faces... come back tomorrow. Fortunately they had by this time handed the forms, passport and money  in, so tomorrow is just a case of (hopefully) collecting their passport.

They are both mid 70s, and "can turn computer on,  but....".

Their next trip has already got a side trip to Laos, and the one after that a 2 week trip to Bali.

I know this is jomtien not elsewhere in the country, but seems a good advert to get a 60 day tourist visa to me.

Great post and thanks.

I could have given the Great Info badge, the Thanks, the Thumbs Up, the Suprised but settled on Sad for the experience of an elderly couple

• Thumbs Up 1