Is complacency setting in with regard to the Covid 19 virus?

john luke

Is complacency setting in with regard to the Covid 19 virus?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Is complancency setting in respect of the Covid 19 virus?

• People are far too complacent now, almost as if the virus never existed
    • The balance between preventing the spread of the virus and getting life back to normal is about right
    • Paranoia and over reaction are the dominant factors now
  2. 2. Is the Scottish Governments stance on proof of vaccine to gain entry to certain venues wise?

• john luke changed the title to Is complacency setting in with regard to the Covid 19 virus?

I think at this stage, it's dangerous to become over complacent. After all, whilst vaccines are clearly reducing death and hospitalisation compared to before people were getting vaccinated. But Covid is still very much around and vaccines are the most effect weapon against the Virus at the moment. But the death rate is much higher for those who have yet to be vaccinated. Covid is not going to go away any time soon. We just have to adjust to living with it until new effective drugs are tested and rolled out, that also combat the virus. Just like Flu, it won't suddenly disappear, but I believe it can be controlled to a level where it is not such a major disrupter to Social and Economic life around the world. But for now, we are still in the midst of a Pandemic. That's my opinion anyway and I think it is still hard to view Covid in black and white terms as there are still so many grey areas

I get it that younger healthier people may feel that they can fight it off and their immune system will cope. That is the case for many, but it does not stop them from spreading the Virus to others, who's immune system may not be as robust. And there lies a big problem. 

On a personal example, I have tickets for the theatre this evening. It will mean using public transport into Waterloo, then drinks in a pub for an hour before hand with the group of us going. Then sitting for 2 hours in a not so well ventilated theatre near to other people breathing the same air. I don't know whether we will be asked to show proof of vaccination or not, to be admitted. I have been fully vaccinated, but that does not mean that I am either completely immune to the virus, or that I won't contract it.  So I am still as carefully as I can be, whilst enjoying post lockdown activities and no longer hiding behind my sofa 😁😁 in abject fear. 

• Like 2

It's not complacency, I think that's a slightly incorrect way of describing the current situation and how people are behaving. It is the public moving forward with the Govts decision to allow the relaxation of the rules and embracing freedom again.

Perhaps people have accepted that C-19 is here to stay and have had their jabs, so effectively believe that they are now safe and no longer have to be as careful. It is encouraging that many continue to wear masks in public places. I still do occasionally , such as in the local supermarket, but otherwise I think the public still understand the dangers but in the same way are not keen to return to what was essentially a Police state. Strong words , I know, but looking back we were not a million miles away from that.

I do strongly believe that should the Govt deem it necessary to enforce some rules again, people will follow them, perhaps more eagerly this time as it would (hopefully) dawn on them that by not doing so we can easily take more steps backwards.

My Mrs had her booster today, no ill effects at all apart from a slightly tender arm. I'm still awaiting mine, so will either await my appointment or do what I did before, which is to go to the Hospital towards the end of the day and get a jab which was left over, or surplus.

• Like 1

I'm not complacent I'm just literally getting on with it and don't any precautions at all anymore iv had my jabs so there is nothing more that can be done.

I'm not tip toeing around anymore simple as that. Iv not had Covid yet and know its coming one day , so is death but I don't walk out with a crash helmet on every day.

Go live your life.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, roomark said:

I don't walk out with a crash helmet on every day.

I do. 😀

Seriously though, I'm the same as Roomark, don't worry about it or wear a mask, but I don't assume it's gone away. It will still kill and hospitalise people. 

It's down to people stop believing the lunatics on the Web, but that will never happen, so it will still get spread around. I'm jabbed and will have the booster when it's my turn. 

Regarding vaccination passports, I'm not for the compulsory introduction of them, not really fair. I'm going to see Level 42 at Reading Hexagon this Saturday, and either proof of vaccination is needed or proof of a negative test. That for me is better, keeping people safe but not excluding anyone. If people object to taking the test then they really do have issues. 

Overall some good points made by everyone. 👍

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I will never become "complacent" following this mess. 

The truth of the matter is that I was practicing many of the basic "social distancing" and precautionary practices long before Covid kicked in.

I just folded in mask wearing to my habits, which has become pretty routine (no big deal to me). 

I had already gotten into hand washing, and avoiding large crowds for the most part long ago.

My concerns aren't so much with my lifestyle or habits, it's the other people out there who are reckless. I'm not saying that anyone who doesn't do everything strictly "by the book" is wrong. But I am cognizant of the reality that there are a lot of idiots out there, and so I try to adjust accordingly.

I kind of look at it like driving. I consider myself as a pretty good defensive driver. It's the other morons looking at their phones, eating or even getting blowy when driving that concern me.

22 minutes ago, galenkia said:

Regarding vaccination passports, I'm not for the compulsory introduction of them, not really fair. I'm going to see Level 42 at Reading Hexagon this Saturday, and either proof of vaccination is needed or proof of a negative test. That for me is better, keeping people safe but not excluding anyone. If people object to taking the test then they really do have issues. 

Excellent point Mr G, and it's definitely the common sense approach , proof of Vacc or a negative is much less intrusive on our personal freedoms than needed to present our " papers" on arrival.

I touched on the passport issue a while ago, giving joe public carte blanche to snoop around our personal information is one step closer to a more restricted society. My biggest concern would be what happens to the data once these places and people get a hold of it.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

When I went to the Theatre last night, there was a guy with a gadget that he held against our wrists to take our temperature. Not sure how affective that is, but I guess it was better than nothing

I've had the same temperature scanner check at work, literaly just takes a skin temp reading, so if you're pushing 40 degrees then they'll probably suggest you get checked.

Incidentally, if anyone has ever had a 40 degree body temp, the last place on Earth you feel like going is anywhere outside of your bedroom.

BTW, "theatre" isn't a euphemism for " Hampstead Heath Gentlemen's toilets" is it?.

Edited by Butch
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Butch said:

I've had the same temperature scanner check at work, literaly just takes a skin temp reading, so if you're pushing 40 degrees then they'll probably suggest you get checked.

Incidentally, if anyone has ever had a 40 degree body temp, the last place on Earth you feel like going is anywhere outside of your bedroom.

BTW, "theatre" isn't a Euphemism for " Hampstead Heath Gentlemen's toilets" is it?.

I hear they have a different method of taking your temperature in the Hampstead lavatory, using a pink thermometer 😁😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, galenkia said:

I do. 😀

Seriously though, I'm the same as Roomark, don't worry about it or wear a mask, but I don't assume it's gone away. It will still kill and hospitalise people. 

It's down to people stop believing the lunatics on the Web, but that will never happen, so it will still get spread around. I'm jabbed and will have the booster when it's my turn. 

Mark King what a bass player he was..

Doesn't bother me same as if the Vax passport isn't used .

I'm seeing Richard Ashcroft in Liverpool next month and you need to show that or a test .

Don't know if I should admit this 🤣🤣 f**k it though ,he's good watching Ed Sheeran next June too at The Etihad Manchester (bought those tickets for her indoors more than me 😉😆 

It doesn't say what restrictions are on for that though.

Tears For Fears in Lytham near Blackpool in July too...

Feels good to see live shows getting put back on.

Edited by roomark
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, roomark said:

Mark King what a bass player he was..

Doesn't bother me same as if the Vax passport isn't used .

I'm seeing Richard Ashcroft in Liverpool next month and you need to show that or a test .

Don't know if I should admit this 🤣🤣 f**k it though ,he's good watching Ed Sheeran next June too at The Etihad Manchester (bought those tickets for her indoors more than me 😉😆 

It doesn't say what restrictions are on for that though.

Tears For Fears in Lytham near Blackpool in July too...

Feels good to see live shows getting put back on.

It's great being able to be confident about gig's being on again and not having to gamble on if they get cancelled, had enough of them cancelled multiple times during the lockdowns. Got a few coming up shortly after Level 42. End of November /beginning December got Sleep Token, Deacon Blue and Girlschool. Next year got Saxon, Geoff Tate, Gary Numan, Quireboys and a tribute band night of Motley Crue and Poison. 

Hopefully we have seen the last of cancelling nights out. 

Enjoy the gigs mate. 👍

• Thumbs Up 3

Girlschool still going?. I know Kelly Johnson passed away years ago.

Also remember the collaboration they did with Motorhead, which caused a few issues within the band itself. I don't think Eddie was too keen on it all.

Oddly enough I am about to listen to the "Bomber" Album in about 5 minutes, it's next on my YT playlist!.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Butch said:

Girlschool still going?. I know Kelly Johnson passed away years ago.

Also remember the collaboration they did with Motorhead, which caused a few issues within the band itself. I don't think Eddie was too keen on it all.

Oddly enough I am about to listen to the "Bomber" Album in about 5 minutes, it's next on my YT playlist!.

Same as most old bands, one or two originals left. Saw them live in the 80's when they were at their peak. 

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, galenkia said:

It's great being able to be confident about gig's being on again and not having to gamble on if they get cancelled, had enough of them cancelled multiple times during the lockdowns. Got a few coming up shortly after Level 42. End of November /beginning December got Sleep Token, Deacon Blue and Girlschool. Next year got Saxon, Geoff Tate, Gary Numan, Quireboys and a tribute band night of Motley Crue and Poison. 

Enjoy the gigs mate. 👍

I'd like to see Gary Numan he looks brilliant live .

You too

• Like 1

On 10/3/2021 at 1:36 PM, galenkia said:

Enjoy the gigs mate. 👍

Deacon blue great live, I seen them in 2004 on their own patch, The Cariing Academy in Glasgow. Small venue but the place was bouncing with the crowd joining in with most of their songs.

• Thumbs Up 1

There is a Led Zeppelin tribute band playing at my local live music venue shortly ( reminder to me to check the date) which I fully intend to attend.

If I have to prove I have been fully vaccinated all the better. Hopefully, requirements like that will be the catalyst for all the immortal youngsters in the UK to catch up to their elders in the mass vaccination stakes.

I am a believer - Get vaccinated - You know it makes sense.

I can see it now.

"Proof of vaccination required with every b/fine! " 🤣

Scotland decided not to use the perfectly good English version and instead to spend 600 K on a " made in Scotland" and then wee Nicola's ego rushed it in before it was tested properly.

I last tried to download it before I went to watch the Hearts on Saturday without success.