Could I have your attention Ladies and Gentlemen, please?

john luke

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/british-airways-stop-using-ladies-25179323

British Airways to stop using 'ladies and gentlemen’ in announcements

Britain's flagship carrier British Airways will abandon the “ladies and gentlemen” greeting to ensure that all “customers feel welcome” when travelling.

British Airways has advised pilots and cabin crew to stop referring to passengers as “ladies and gentlemen” in onboard announcements and replace them with gender-neutral terms. 

Britain's flagship carrier has decided to abandon the greeting in order “to ensure that all our customers feel welcome when travelling with us” and celebrate “diversity and inclusion”.

The move away from gender-specific to gender-neutral language brings the airline’s announcements in line with those made in airports.

It also follows previous moves by Lufthansa earlier this year, and easyJet and Air Canada in 2019.

In 2018, Quantas launched its “Spirit of Inclusion” initiative whereupon staff were encouraged to refrain from using gender-specific terms.

BA’s recent decision is believed to have been partly driven by a change in its customers, according to the Telegraph.

The airline is understood to be keen to respect new social norms as well as to make children feel included in the announcements, as a greater proportion of families travel since the easing of Covid restrictions.

A BA spokesperson said: “We celebrate diversity and inclusion and we're committed to ensuring that all our customers feel welcome when travelling with us.”

Last month, Air Malta announced it would also scrap phrases such as “welcome, ladies and gentleman” in favour of more inclusive language, such as: “Attention, all passengers.”

Staff are now encouraged to refer to passengers as “guests” and other more universal terms in a bid to help trans, non-binary and intersex people feel comfortable, the airline said in a statement.

• Great Info 2
  • Sad 1

On 10/18/2021 at 10:25 AM, lazarus said:

Sexist expression that's way past it's expiration date.

Time to get with the program... 🌈

"Ladies and gentlemen" is an expression of courtesy. Has been that way for customers partaking in the hospitality industry for generations, especially when being welcomed aboard a flight.

Nothing whatsoever "sexist" in nature about it. Just a further example of the corporate woke culture hoping to not be a future target of the perpetually offended class.

Wonder if Emirates or Qatar will follow suit?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Smooth said:

"Ladies and gentlemen" is an expression of courtesy. Has been that way for customers partaking in the hospitality industry for generations, especially when being welcomed aboard a flight.

Nothing whatsoever "sexist" in nature about it. Just a further example of the corporate woke culture hoping to not be a future target of the perpetually offended class.

Wonder if Emirates or Qatar will follow suit?

Old school sure...but this is not your daddy world anymore...

"Shes are hes" and "theys are thems" etc.

Honestly, I could give a rat's tail but this is a forum and we like to discuss things...so just for discussion's sake...

. . .

The More Inclusive Way To Say ‘Ladies And Gentlemen’

https://www.lifehacker.com.au/2019/12/the-more-inclusive-way-to-say-ladies-and-gentlemen/

“Ladies and gentlemen” is a common way to address a group of people, particularly in a formal, public setting. Long seen as a standard and polite—if not old-fashioned—way to address a group, its day has come and gone. Not everyone identifies as either a lady or a gentleman, and luckily, there’s an easy fix for addressing a crowd that is inclusive of all:

“Welcome, everyone.”

. . .

Edited by lazarus

I was in my local pub last night discussing this very subject with a couple of " retired" ex-Hibs Casuals.

We all generally agreed it was bollocks but I made the mistake of bringing up the various gender differentials in Thailand. It was all downhill after my explanation of "Toms". :default_cry:

• Haha 5