WINDOWS 11

Nightcrawler

Just received a prompt to get free upgrade from Win 10 to new Win11.

Any computer buffs out there who can explain in plain English what advantages it gives and does it eat up more memory. I am a worried, because I run a lot of recording software and Apps currently using Win 10 and whether they will be affected by upgrade. Will I have to reinstall current programs and Apps etc? 

Nothing urgent as it's only just been released 

14 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

Just received a prompt to get free upgrade from Win 10 to new Win11.

Any computer buffs out there who can explain in plain English what advantages it gives and does it eat up more memory. I am a worried, because I run a lot of recording software and Apps currently using Win 10 and whether they will be affected by upgrade. Will I have to reinstall current programs and Apps etc? 

Nothing urgent as it's only just been released 

Windows 11 known issues and notifications | Microsoft Docs

May help. But waiting a few months maybe prudent always bugs with new software and fixes do come along quite rapidly.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Read a comment on another forum, speed of program loading not improved, the icons for shortcuts on the bottom left are now in the bottom center but that can be somehow changed back. Otherwise not much new.  Some computers will get a message that they are  not suitable regarding the hardware to do the update despite being new, but this can be somehow bypassed as well. Will wait a year or so before I do any update.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Nightcrawler said:

i just spent an hour restoring an old laptop to factory settings only to find that I cant get a free upgrade anymore from Windows 7  to Win 10 or 11.

Bollox. 

Nothing wrong with W7, one of the best OS they ever produced.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, boydeste said:

Nothing wrong with W7, one of the best OS they ever produced.

Well I was always happy with W7 because I was used to using it and I totally subscribe to the notion if it ain't broke why fix it.

I had to use W10 because when I needed a new laptop it came with W10. I instantly hated it because I could not be bothered to get used to its differences. I discovered that I could make it superficially look like an approximation of W7 by following a Utube tutorial and I have never gone back to the W10 desktop.

I use Opera and Firefox but have no idea why or if one is better than the other. Both log me into the internet to where I want to go and do so without much delay which is all I care about.

My Granddaughter recently put a scanner App on my Oppo phone and showed me how to use bluetooth to link it to my laptop and printer. She is now my IT technical advisor. 🤣

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 1 year later...

I was about to start a new topic called "Windows 11 Annoyances" and found this topic. Rather than start a new topic I'll post here, but perhaps the OP might agree to a topic title change to add "Annoyances" as that is what I think of the new Win 11 changes from previous versions.

The first annoyance to overcome was Microsoft wanting to me to create an MS account before it would proceed with the setup on my new laptop. That was very easy to overcome by select the for school and business option. They still asked for name and email info on the next screen, but allowed me to leave it blank.

After the setup finished the next annoyance I had to deal with is further changes to the Start menu. I was very happy with what they introduced with Win 7, and that's what I want to stick with. Fortunately Open Shell has allowed me to almost duplicate the Win 7 Start menu.

The latest annoyance I've encountered is the File Explorer context menu is showing icons for the copy, paste, rename and share. Call me old fashion, but I prefer the text labels for those options rather than icons. They're still available, but they're another click away under "Show more options". Researching now how to remove that annoyance.

I'd be interested to hear what others have done to overcome things that annoyed them with the new Windows version.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

I was about to start a new topic called "Windows 11 Annoyances" and found this topic. Rather than start a new topic I'll post here, but perhaps the OP might agree to a topic title change to add "Annoyances" as that is what I think of the new Win 11 changes from previous versions.

The first annoyance to overcome was Microsoft wanting to me to create an MS account before it would proceed with the setup on my new laptop. That was very easy to overcome by select the for school and business option. They still asked for name and email info on the next screen, but allowed me to leave it blank.

After the setup finished the next annoyance I had to deal with is further changes to the Start menu. I was very happy with what they introduced with Win 7, and that's what I want to stick with. Fortunately Open Shell has allowed me to almost duplicate the Win 7 Start menu.

The latest annoyance I've encountered is the File Explorer context menu is showing icons for the copy, paste, rename and share. Call me old fashion, but I prefer the text labels for those options rather than icons. They're still available, but they're another click away under "Show more options". Researching now how to remove that annoyance.

I'd be interested to hear what others have done to overcome things that annoyed them with the new Windows version.

majQa’!

Edited by Derek Dangleberries
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/set-default-folder-view-windows

Works for me.

5 minutes ago, fygjam said:

Doesn't look like that will allow me to modify the context menu. Win 11 looks like this with C&P icons on the top of the first pop up menu.
image.png

The menu items I would like to see are now under "Show more options". I'll get use to using the icons, but would have preferred they left the text selection menu items on the first pop up menu.
image.png

I've been using Win 11 for a few months now and I like it. I needed a new PC after 7 years using the old one, so I got Pattaya-2-U to build me one again (they built the last one) to my specs, with an Intel Core I3 processor, 4 TB of internal storage on 2 HDD's, 500 GB of solid-state memory for the OS and programs, 16 GB of RAM, and HDMI graphics output. They were going to install Win 10 again but as I already had Win 11 on my laptop back in the UK last year I went for it this time, too. Pattaya-2-U also give you free lifetime service if you buy from them, which is very useful when things go akimbo.

As usual with a new flavour of Windows, some things you were used to have been changed, but it's just a question of figuring out the new way. For example, the option to show the desktop has now been changed to an all but invisible little bar on the lower RH side, or you can use a keyboard shortcut, but the old way of right-clicking on the taskbar to see the option no longer works.

I also like the Bing wallpaper app, but the OS refused to install it. After searching a bit I learnt that the OS now includes the app, but you still have to turn it on, which is easy enough. And so on and so forth for a dozen different nice-to-haves. I've got it just about exactly how I want it now and I'm very happy with it.

One great plus is that it's the first OS to have a built-in tabbed file manager. As well as my two internal HDD's I have between 3 and 5 external HDD's in use as well, so trying to do that with an untabbed file manager is hopeless and I've been using XYplorer for years. I'm so used to that app that I'm sticking with it for now, but it's nice to know that there's a different solution if need be.

As with Win 10, it comes with Windows Defender so there's no need for any separate anti-virus software. And, of course, it's nice to know that I've got the latest version of the OS so I'm future-proofed for a few years now. Well done to MS, anyway, I like Win 11 and since the shop installed it for me, the price was right, too.

Edited by Toy Boy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Toy Boy said:

For example, the option to show the desktop has now been changed to an all but invisible little bar on the lower RH side, or you can use a keyboard shortcut, but the old way of right-clicking on the taskbar to see the option no longer works.

Thanks for the tip on the show desktop taskbar option. I would have never found it as it's invisible until you hover your cursor over it.

I'm puzzled as to why the design team made it invisible. It doesn't free up space on the taskbar, and it makes it less intuitive by making it invisible.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

I'm puzzled as to why the design team made it invisible. It doesn't free up space on the taskbar, and it makes it less intuitive by making it invisible.

Because Microsoft.

my m8 is a computing nerd he works from home for a firm and vist site to install all new servers and software.he has been running 11 for a few months now and has iron out a few problems.he was due to install it on my pc last night but due to being busy has had to put it off for a few weeks.but overall he likes it and says ir runs smooth if installed right

Maybe somebody here with my pet peeve with Windows.

When I visit a news site and click on a story. what pops up is a pic/video first, then underneath it is the verbiage of the story. As I scroll down to read it, the pic relocates to the lover right of the screen and often covers up parts of the story. I then must hit "close" to get rid of the picture.

Is there any way to stop this?

I moved to Windows 11 shortly after it became available. I was in the US at that time and decided to buy a new high end laptop while I was there. The same laptop would have been more expensive in Thailand. It made sense just to go to 11.

The migration (I already had an MSFT account) was painless and took very little time. I had copied off all needed user files (video downloads and xls financial forecasting stuff) ahead of time and had no problem recovering said content.

Zero app upgrade problems. I was already at Windows 10.

I will agree that some of the changes to the Windows presentation layer were annoying and designed to market me (by MSFT) in the most annoying way possible. I have moved on and found ways of getting around said nonsense.

I am of the opinion to keep your software current, but not too current.

• Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

Maybe they knew that their boss would ask them to show him the new features in Win 11, but he wouldn't understand all the technical stuff so they have to add a few things like this to show him the benefits of all their hard work. Look at that boss, no more right- and then left-clicking, just click and go!

BTW, as mentioned I like the daily, interesting, hi-res photos from Bing wallpaper, and they're now on your lockscreen as well as your desktop wallpaper. Here are the instructions for how to turn it on in WIn 11 (well, it worked for me, anyway).

https://www.digitalcitizen.life/bing-wallpaper-windows-11-with-windows-spotlight/

• Like 1

Another Win 11 annoyance I've not found a workaround for is moving a browser window to a different monitor.

For my work I have multiple monitors and often times move browser windows between my secondary monitors to and from my main monitor.

In prior OS versions it was a simple matter of clicking and dragging the tab of the browser window to another window, but that no longer works with Win 11. If the tab you want to move is the only open tab in the browser window and is expanded to occupy the entire monitor, clicking and dragging does nothing. To move the tab I now have to first reduce the size using the retore icon in the upper right corner, then I can click and drag the tab to a different monitor.

I would be interested if anyone has figured out a way to do this, either by a setting change or installing a 3rd party app.

8 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

Another Win 11 annoyance I've not found a workaround for is moving a browser window to a different monitor.

For my work I have multiple monitors and often times move browser windows between my secondary monitors to and from my main monitor.

In prior OS versions it was a simple matter of clicking and dragging the tab of the browser window to another window, but that no longer works with Win 11. If the tab you want to move is the only open tab in the browser window and is expanded to occupy the entire monitor, clicking and dragging does nothing. To move the tab I now have to first reduce the size using the retore icon in the upper right corner, then I can click and drag the tab to a different monitor.

I would be interested if anyone has figured out a way to do this, either by a setting change or installing a 3rd party app.

I vaguely recall that being a issue even in Windows 7 if the monitors had different resolutions.

I haven't used multiple monitors for years.

23 minutes ago, fygjam said:

I vaguely recall that being a issue even in Windows 7 if the monitors had different resolutions.

I haven't used multiple monitors for years.

To make sure I wasn't imagining it working on prior versions I confirmed it was working using my system with Windows 10.