WINDOWS 11

Nightcrawler

46 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

If the tab you want to move is the only open tab in the browser window and is expanded to occupy the entire monitor, clicking and dragging does nothing. To move the tab I now have to first reduce the size using the retore icon in the upper right corner, then I can click and drag the tab to a different monitor.

12 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

To make sure I wasn't imagining it working on prior versions I confirmed it was working using my system with Windows 10.

I just tried this with Windows 10 and it behaved as you describe.  I opened a window with a single tab in Chrome and maximized the window with the maximize button to the right on the title bar.  It wouldn't let me drag that window either with the title bar or with the tab.

39 minutes ago, fygjam said:

I vaguely recall that being a issue even in Windows 7 if the monitors had different resolutions.

I don't think it has ever been possible to click and drag a maximized window.  I just tried it with Word and got the same result.

The main advantage of being basically IT illiterate is that you don't have any idea of what you are missing.

Anyone know how long will I be able to continue to use my laptop loaded with Windows 10 (which looks like Win 7 😃) before Windows 10 will cease to work properly?

7 minutes ago, Jambo said:

Anyone know how long will I be able to continue to use my laptop loaded with Windows 10 (which looks like Win 7 😃) before Windows 10 will cease to work properly?

Depends what you mean.  Generally, the operating system will not stop working properly.  I have a Windows 7 laptop here in my office/man cave and it works fine.

What happens is that once they stop updating the OS, new programs become less and less compatible with it, and you lose the ability to install it on newer machines.  The latter is not usually an issue, but when they EOL (end-of-life) the operating system and stop updating it, you might want to turn off automatic updates on any programs that have that option.

According to Micro$oft, the current version of Windows 10, 22H2, will be the last.  It will stop being supported in October 2025, which is when newer computers, programs and versions will begin to be less compatible with it.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/products/windows-10-home-and-pro

• Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Mrmango said:

Thanks for that link, but alas, its behind the pay firewall.

I can see the whole article.  Just click the "v" shaped arrow to the right and the subscription begging at the bottom should slide down and let you read the article.

4 minutes ago, Rompho Ray said:

I can see the whole article.  Just click the "v" shaped arrow to the right and the subscription begging at the bottom should slide down and let you read the article.

Thanks for that! I was able to read it and I downloaded the app. I will see later how it worksa nd get back to you.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Mrmango said:

Thanks for that link, but alas, its behind the pay firewall.

If you're using Chrome the article mentions the extension AutoplayStopper. I've been using Disable HTML5 Autoplay, but I see a notice the developer is no longer maintaining the extension. As long it's still working I'll not bother switching, but good to know of other extensions that do the same thing.

• Thumbs Up 1

Any Win 11 sound experts out there?

Even though I have the speakers correctly configured for 5.1 surround sound, playing music, YT videos or other sound sources only utilizes 2 channels. Testing the different channels using Speaker Checkup, each speaker works fine.

Using mmsys.cpl to configure the speakers has worked in the past, but not on my new laptop with Win 11.

image.png

Edited by forcebwithu