Happy Halloween!

Evil Penevil

I have fond memories of Oct. 31 celebrations in Pattaya, so I want to wish all members of logoa.png:

944519994_HappyHalloween.jpg.ced8e32c23ee4cbb8cb06065359771dc.jpg

I took that pic six years ago in a Soi 6 bar under much happier circumstances.

Because things have gotten so grim, I wanted to make a picture that conveyed ultimate horror,  the kind H.P. Lovecraft wrote about.  He believed there were certain ideas and images which could drive people insane.  This is the most terrifying image I could come up with:

Gabortext2.png

The hungry zombie in the pic craves brains because he has none himself.  He's the epitome of malevolence and ill-will, although not very dangerous.  He preys mostly on Thai girls and elderly East Europeans who can't speak English, but runs from anyone else.

Anyway, I hope I haven't damaged anyone's psyche by posting that pic.  And I hope when Walking Street gets busy again, it doesn't look like this:

IMG_0095.png

Edited by Evil Penevil
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

I'm happy to see the NYC Halloween Parade is back on track for Oct. 31. It had been cancelled last year due to Covid19. The parade began in 1973 as a neighborhood event with a handful of participants and about 50 spectators, but grew to become one of the largest parades in the world with 50,000 to 80,000 participants and one to two million onsite spectators, depending on the day of the week and weather conditions.  It also generated millions of dollars in revenue for businesses in Lower Manhattan.

I marched in costume in the parade a few times and went as a spectator a few more years, but stopped because it got so crowded both on the street and on the public transportation system.  I never saw any other time, including New Year's Eve, when the subway and light rail cars were so jammed with riders. I'm happy, however, to watch it on TV.

Some pics from past parades: 

New-York-Citys-Annual-Village-Halloween-Parade-Returns.jpg

Is-NYC-Halloween-Parade-2020-Cancelled-1.jpg

gettyimages-1184734834-1.jpg

• Like 3

I love Halloween, because it's the only time I can give sweets to kids and not get arrested for it.

Mrs Butch has already taken offence to my "humorous" statement of putting her mask on too early, but in all truth it's a great time of the year and where I live really invokes a great community spirit.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Maybe I'll take a walk around my neighborhood tomorrow after my kid's soccer game and snap a few photos of Halloween decorations. Some folks around here go a little crazy this time of year.

Unfortunately I won't see any legs like these but that's life these days.

Capture.JPG

https://www.instagram.com/p/CVsS2V0PjTZ/

Capture.JPG

https://www.instagram.com/p/CVsS2V0PjTZ/

Edited by lazarus
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

I realize Halloween is over for most BMs, but if you get a chance, take a look at Night of the Living Dead, one of the most terrifying films ever made, dating all the way back to 1968.  The film will be shown on a local London TV station tonight and it's available "On Demand" on U.S. cable systems and some local channels will air it tonight.  

I first saw NOTLD at age 19 and it was the first horror film to actually scare me.  I'd grown up with the classic black-and-white horror  films like Dracula, Frankenstein, The Wolfman, etc.  I found them fascinating, but not scary.  NOFTLD took things to a whole different level.

It was a ground-breaking film in many respects.  Besides being the best film ever made in Pittsburgh, PA, it kicked off the entire zombie subgenre, although the undead were called ghouls in NOTLD.  It was the first horror film to feature realistic violence and scenes of cannibalism in graphic detail.  It was also one of the first, if not the first, film to feature an Afro-American man in the leading hero's role  with an otherwise white cast.

It became one of the most profitable commercial films ever made, racking up profits over USD 30 million on an investment of  USD 114,000.  In 1999, the Library of Congress recognized Night of the Living Dead as  "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant" and selected it for preservation in the National Film Registry. 

The original poster:

notld.PNG.10647bf81d93e067ef03a0d7626cac0e.PNG

• Like 1

^^^^^^^

I had an original VHS UK Release of that years ago, although at the time it was not as "scary" as some movies out (Videodrome, Xtro, The Omen, Exorcist etc) it was still a good and enjoyable watch.

The last Horror movie / series I watched was on Netflix "The Haunting of Hill house" - not bad but like many Horror films, if it's not a gore fest, the weakness of some of the scenes can become obvious. It was well acted with a few shocks but slightly predictable, however some unexpected additions to the story did make it enjoyable overall.

My all time favourite Horror remains The Omen. Not least because it scared the bejeesus out of me at the age of 13 when I first got to see it.

Edited by Butch

Halloween is over, but I can wish everyone a happy Day of the Dead (Dia de Los Muertos), which is celebrated in Mexico and anywhere that has a Mexican immigrant population on Nov. 1-2. Although it has some commons roots with Halloween, Dia de Los Muertos is a much more culturally significant celebration that combines both European and Indigenous traditions to remember and honor deceased  relatives.  

The dominant symbol is a painted skull, both on the faces of individuals and as a sugar confection.

newspix2310a.png.0dec790d826085e7c51061faae3d964a.png

52342532_CandySugarskulls-Imperial.png.5c7aedc0daa7cad0241e431b279ad739.png

Edited by Evil Penevil
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Evil Penevil said:

...celebrated in Mexico and anywhere that has a Mexican immigrant population on Nov. 1-2.

Happy Day of the Dead -- celebrated where I live (which was originally part of MX) by almost everyone.

Ironically, Mexicans were living in the US long prior to Anglos...the US annexed a lot of Mexican land after a war in the 1840s.

...but that's just a side point of US history that is rarely told.

. . .

How the Border Between the United States and Mexico Was Established

https://www.britannica.com/story/how-the-border-between-the-united-states-and-mexico-was-established

Maps-territories-Mexico-1848.jpg

Edited by lazarus