What movie are you watching

Lanzalad

Just downloaded and watched this.

The story of the Krakatau volcano explosion in 1883. The volcano you recently heard about last week is known as "Son of Krakatau", as the 1883 eruption completely destroyed it, but later it raised slowly again from the seabed. And is still "live".....

Movie is half fiction, half documentary and pretty interesting.

Better not show it to my Miss.... considering in Bali we have one at 60km distance, and here in Java even less...

Screenshot_20181228-203802_YouTube-600x1067.thumb.jpg.a23101adf880a9cc104e968067ceb6fc.jpg

• 1 year later...

The new HBO (on Hulu too) series "The Outsider" grabs you after the first 10 minutes of episode 1.

Here's HBO's description of the series: "Based on Stephen King’s bestselling novel of the same name, The Outsider begins by following a seemingly straightforward investigation into the gruesome murder of a young boy. But when an insidious supernatural force edges its way into the case, it leads a seasoned cop and an unorthodox investigator to question everything they believe in."

Very mild supernatural aspect so far and I am hooked as it's both puzzling and intriguing. 

WELL WORTH A LOOK SEE!

Watched this last movie weekend. Not your usual war movie. More of one British soldier's journey through enemy lines to deliver a crucial message to another battalion. Kind of like WW 1's version of "Saving Private Ryan" (sort of) I found it very entertaining and stayed glued to it. Definitely worth a watch!

1917.jpg

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Steelers4Life said:

Watched this last movie weekend. Not your usual war movie. More of one British soldier's journey through enemy lines to deliver a crucial message to another battalion. Kind of like WW 1's version of "Saving Private Ryan" (sort of) I found it very entertaining and stayed glued to it. Definitely worth a watch!

1917.jpg

Yep, I read about that one. The way of filming, in constant motion and following the main character's voyage, is one the main points mentionned.

Some loved ite, some say it's too much and make the whole watching a dizzy experience.

Is on my list anyway !

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

Yep, I read about that one. The way of filming, in constant motion and following the main character's voyage, is one the main points mentionned.

Some loved ite, some say it's too much and make the whole watching a dizzy experience.

Is on my list anyway !

Not as dizzying as some critics and viewers mentioned IMO. You can be the judge of that when you give it a watch. The cinematography was top-notch. (again IMO)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just watched The Square on www.showboxmovies.net.

Great movie / documentary on the Arab revolution in Egypt. Example of a revolution stolen from the people.

The maturity and way of thinking of all the people that speak out in this docu is very interesting and show that some of those countries could have a great future if not locked in by a dictatorship (military or religious).

Sure not everyones cup of tea but very interesting for somebody interesting in history and / or geopolitics.

The Square.jpg

large_sKggIMCP8MrO2PBT57uWKqJxJj3.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/23/2020 at 8:50 AM, Steelers4Life said:

1917.jpg

Watched it yesterday on Showboxmovies. It rate it as OK, but not more. 

Far behind Save Soldier Ryan or Dunkirk. I watched it on my laptop, so on big screen it's sure a better viewing experience, but still the scenario didn't really convince me.

After "1917" I watched this new version of "Midway". (on Showbox)

Not bad at all, and must be really nice on big screen.

Of course full of the "American hero" thing, but at least it is based on real events with the destiny of all the main characters explained at the end.

Sure worth the watch.

Midway.jpg

• Great Info 1

15 hours ago, Thai Spice said:

After "1917" I watched this new version of "Midway". (on Showbox)

Not bad at all, and must be really nice on big screen.

Of course full of the "American hero" thing, but at least it is based on real events with the destiny of all the main characters explained at the end.

Sure worth the watch.

Midway.jpg

Did you notice Country: US/China

watched 2 war movies on Foxtel last night the 1st All Quiet on the Western Front,the remake by US/GB mob

the 2nd and still the best war movie I've seen Das Boot,better at the movie house.

think the last movie I went to was Once We Was Warriors back in the late 1990s or early 2000s

regards

grayray

Edited by grayray

Watched Ford v Ferrari on home theater system at full blast. Didn't expect much, found it quite entertaining.

Also after watching Midway at full tilt volume. The dive bombing scenes with flack, altitude count down, made the dive bombing process feel endlessly nerve racking. A theatric white knuckle experience. Would be great movie to see in 4D theater.

Edited by CalEden
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, CalEden said:

Did you notice Country: US/China

Yes, it suprised me at the start. But indeed a small part of the story involves China. And probably some scened were shot.in China ?

As you said, sure a great movie to watch in high tech movie theather !

Edited by Thai Spice

About 4 years ago I started watching Chinese made Historical War movies. Many of them are quite good. The Chinese remake of The Sand Pebbles (think different name) and the Rape of Nanking/Black Sun are very good movies. Then there is a few about the Chinese underground in Hong Kong during WWII. Netflix is a good source. 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, CalEden said:

About 4 years ago I started watching Chinese made Historical War movies. Many of them are quite good. The Chinese remake of The Sand Pebbles (think different name) and the Rape of Nanking/Black Sun are very good movies. Then there is a few about the Chinese underground in Hong Kong during WWII. Netflix is a good source. 

Agreed. Watched a few when I lived in HKG, and I was surprised by the quality. Historically and acting wise.

6 hours ago, CalEden said:

Can't remember who recommended City of Life and Death (Nanking Nanking), but I was really impressed with the production quality and story.

91L5IxCo3hL._SL1500_.jpg

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1124052/

17 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

Can't remember who recommended City of Life and Death (Nanking Nanking), but I was really impressed with the production quality and story.

91L5IxCo3hL._SL1500_.jpg

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1124052/

Thanks may have watched it some time ago. But, will try to find it and watch.

Another good Chinese movie is "John Rabe" It is about a German Businessman that saves purportedly 250,000 Chinese from Nanking during the Japanese slaughter. True story.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, CalEden said:

Thanks may have watched it some time ago. But, will try to find it and watch.

Another good Chinese movie is "John Rabe" It is about a German Businessman that saves purportedly 250,000 Chinese from Nanking during the Japanese slaughter. True story.  

John Rabe is a central character in City of Life and Death.

Yes, this is same story but in English and color, worth a watch. Just finished watching City of Life and Death. I had seen it before, but watched it over again. Good the second time.

Edited by CalEden

On 3/2/2020 at 5:35 PM, Thai Spice said:

Watched "The Beast of War" on Showbox.

Not a sophisticated movie, but worth a watch.  Don't expect something on the level of "Fury" !

The beast.jpg

I watched this about year ago. Enjoyed it.

PARASITE.  Korean movie. On ShowboxMovies

Parasite 1.jpg

Watched this yesterday. A bit sophisticated, sure not for everyone.  I nearly abandonned after 30 / 45 min as the scenario seemed a bit simplistic but kept on watching and soon understood why this movie got several awards a the last Festival de Cannes.

In an era when one part of the population lives a confortable but superifical life, and many have to tool hard to have a minimum confort, this movie plays on this topic but in a very special way.

It starts as a light comedy, but ends in a dramatic way.  And the actors are pretty good, not your typical Asian soap opera style, except when it is exactly what the scenario wants to bring up.

The best synopsis I found is this :

https://www.parasite-movie.com/synopsis/

stParasite 3.jpger at the top of his game.

• Like 1