What movie are you watching

Lanzalad

A very good watch.  Half documentary / half movie on British soldiers in the French trenches during WW1. The movie covers from enrollment, through the war till victory and back to civil life, the first and the latter part being very interesting concerning motiviation and feelings.

The narrative and words of people who lived through this are worth at least as much as the film itself.

Should put to shame anybody who calls the C19 "a war", and a reminder of what MAN should be.

Image 13.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Thai Spice said:

Started to watch it but gave up after 20 min...

In this kind of action / war movie I like some credibility to the story and scenario. 

If it was credible/realistic it would just have been people on the telephone for hour after hour and then a handover in a car park. 😁

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/31/2020 at 3:26 AM, Binlid said:

Very absorbing movie.

The Killing Fields Monument to the Dead

DSCN4904 (Medium).JPG

This was the most depressing day of my life, my visit to the Killing Fields & School 18. Despite visiting PP many times I will never go back to those sorrowful sites.

Sat down yesterday and watched "First They Killed My Father" on a grey rainy day. Great photography and technique capturing the innocence of the young children, the photographic beauty of the Khmer people and the contrasting cruelty people are capable of. In the first twenty minutes I began to prepare myself mentally for the graphic violence that surely loomed. Starting to feel reluctant to continue viewing.

This family was very fortunate in very minor sense, many families were totally killed off.

The Khmer Rouge were a Khmer version of the Chairman Moa's Red Guard and the movement back to an rural agricultural society that was taking place in China, with similar results. The Western Press mainly focused on China's Red Guard.

The Western people/Press where weary of the decades of War in Indo China and satisfied with the ending of the War in Viet Nam. There was no desire by any Western government to get involved in Southeast Asian politics. So in the Western Press it's almost like Southeast China did not exist (Cambodia). When news articles appeared they were relegated to the back sections.

So the Khmer Rouge terror in Cambodia happened in isolation on deaf ears. The only news and indications of what was going on in Cambodia I can recall was reports periodically of finding dozens, sometimes hundreds of bodies floating from Cambodia in the Mekong River (in the back of newspapers, in small obscure news slots). 

Gut ripping and emotionally straining watching the story unfold. The Ending at the Reclining Buda Temple was a beautiful scene. Anybody now were this Temple is? 

Edited by CalEden
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...

OK, a few I have been watching lately...

Just now :

Wag.jpg

Very appropriate in those times of US election. A cynical satire about how the people can be manipulated, how a president / government will stop for nothing in order to achieve their goal.

At the same time a bit of piss taking with the great American mentality ....

Of course exaggerated, not realistic, but sure worth a watch because there is a great part of truth in it.

Available on Showboxmovies.net

https://www.showboxmovies.net/watch-movie/wag-the-dog-13279.2616775

For those who have been posting shock and horror on the  Jeffrey Epstein thread have a look at "HOT GIRLS WANTED : TURNED ON" on Netflix.

A serie in 6 episodes,  which gives an idea of what "the girl next door" is willing to do for a few $$$$$$$

Attention :  I am speaking about the Serie, not the movie called "Hot Girls Wanted"

A very interesting documentary about a little known aspect of Balinese tradition, and on some dark sides of the Island of Gods.

Gives a view of Bali, VERY different of the usual touristic sweet stuff.

Very well filmed, just reporting facts, with a bit of explanation from a local, no side taking or moralizing.

And the picture quality is excellent as well.

Some very sad moments in it.

Bitter Honey.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maPF9jVWuQM

On Youtube, but it doesn't allow me to embed the full link.

Another very good documentary. Any of our older US BM remember "The Damascus Incident" ?

There are several docus on it on Youtube, I watched this one and found it good.

Personally I had never heard of this event. Most scary is the number of "near miss" that happened over the years...... 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Set in Thailand & Cambodia. 2004
Good cast. Some crazy characters (reminded me of guys I used to meet at Patpong beer bars.)
Watched it on Amazon Prime.

"A con man (Matt Dillon) travels to Cambodia (also on the run from law enforcement in the U.S.) to collect his share in an insurance scam, but discovers more than he bargained for."

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0164003/

220px-Cityofghostscard.jpg

MV5BMTE5ODk5OTc3Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzcxMjAwMQ@@._V1_.jpg

Edited by lazarus

On 6/14/2020 at 12:23 PM, CalEden said:

DSCN4904 (Medium).JPG

This was the most depressing day of my life, my visit to the Killing Fields & School 18. Despite visiting PP many times I will never go back to those sorrowful sites.

Sat down yesterday and watched "First They Killed My Father" on a grey rainy day. Great photography and technique capturing the innocence of the young children, the photographic beauty of the Khmer people and the contrasting cruelty people are capable of. In the first twenty minutes I began to prepare myself mentally for the graphic violence that surely loomed. Starting to feel reluctant to continue viewing.

This family was very fortunate in very minor sense, many families were totally killed off.

The Khmer Rouge were a Khmer version of the Chairman Moa's Red Guard and the movement back to an rural agricultural society that was taking place in China, with similar results. The Western Press mainly focused on China's Red Guard.

The Western people/Press where weary of the decades of War in Indo China and satisfied with the ending of the War in Viet Nam. There was no desire by any Western government to get involved in Southeast Asian politics. So in the Western Press it's almost like Southeast China did not exist (Cambodia). When news articles appeared they were relegated to the back sections.

So the Khmer Rouge terror in Cambodia happened in isolation on deaf ears. The only news and indications of what was going on in Cambodia I can recall was reports periodically of finding dozens, sometimes hundreds of bodies floating from Cambodia in the Mekong River (in the back of newspapers, in small obscure news slots). 

Gut ripping and emotionally straining watching the story unfold. The Ending at the Reclining Buda Temple was a beautiful scene. Anybody now were this Temple is? 

On 6/14/2020 at 12:23 PM, CalEden said:

DSCN4904 (Medium).JPG

So in the Western Press it's almost like Southeast China did not exist (Cambodia). When news articles appeared they were relegated to the back sections.

Watched it also a few months ago, like you I knew sad stuff was coming even though they look fairly wealthy and happy in opening scenes. I remember hearing about the Killing Fields at the Oscars even though I was only 9 or so, but knew zero about Cambodia and it’s history until joining Secrets board and travelling to LOS in 2008. Like you said, seems to be something that was ignored by mass media, but like us, once you’ve learned about it(and even visited the country), you are very ad and amazed at such a brutal genocide could take place

• Like 1