What movie are you watching

Lanzalad

Watched "The Killing Fields" and "First they killed my father", I have the book of the latter.

Visited the killing fields "museum" in Cambodia mid 90's.

Makes you think twice about "soft, gentle Asians" ...

I visited Auchwitz also, but much younger, maybe because  I was younger (early 30's), and not yet an hardcore expat, maybe also because it was closer to home and the Germans are people of the same culture / religion, it did impact me much more.

1 hour ago, Thai Spice said:

A very good documentary. Fascinating real WW2 story.

And Jeremy Clarkson is IMO absolutely excellent as narrator for this kind of historic documentaries.

Watch the one he did about the Victoria Cross, that is excellent. 

Interesting surprise at the end. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/4/2020 at 8:54 AM, Thai Spice said:

Watched "The Killing Fields" and "First they killed my father", I have the book of the latter.

Visited the killing fields "museum" in Cambodia mid 90's.

Makes you think twice about "soft, gentle Asians" ...

I visited Auchwitz also, but much younger, maybe because  I was younger (early 30's), and not yet an hardcore expat, maybe also because it was closer to home and the Germans are people of the same culture / religion, it did impact me much more.

Kaing Kek Lev, aka "Duch", died a few days ago. May he burn perpetually in hell 🙂

An absolute jewel find. 

Under a light comedy  / satire approach, this movie concerns 2 subjects that are at the center of the political scene right now, racism and migrants.

It's Italian, but just switch on the English subtitles. Don't look for a English version, it would lose most of it's charm.

Again, this is the kind of movie that I am not sure will please this forum's audience, but it is well worth a watch.

And hat off to the people that made it, because the subject is really touchy.

Available on Showboxmovies :

https://www.showboxmovies.net/watch-movie/tolo-tolo-63363.3139339

Tolo Tolo.jpg

And some comments / reviews :

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10413566/reviews

• 3 weeks later...

Just watched 'The Doorman' with Ruby Rose.  Seen this lady in a few movies where she was prominent but not top billing, think she was in one of the John Wick movies.

Good story, good action and worth a watch.  Ruby was excellent and for a lady (Australian) who was a former model she played the part well.  Maybe one of the first lead action characters who is both a woman and a lesbian but no doubt somebody will put me right there. Loved her in the movie, thoroughly entertaining and hopefully there will be another from her in a follow up.

Doorman.jpg

Edited by Horizondave

For all fans of political thrillers

Of course, as it is a Roman Polanski movie, a lot of controversy about him... but it doesn't take away his skills and the filming is great.

I also read somewhere that the film received some negative critique in the UK, concerning this being a direct hint at Tony Blair ..... (who was indeed a bit of a lackey of the US IMO ...)

The Ghost.jpg

The Ghost Writer (released as The Ghost in the United Kingdom and Ireland)[2] is a 2010 Franco-German-British political thriller film directed by Roman Polanski. The film is an adaptation of a 2007 Robert Harris novel, The Ghost, with the screenplay written by Polanski and Harris. It stars Ewan McGregor, Pierce Brosnan, Kim Cattrall, and Olivia Williams.[3]

The film was a critical and commercial success and won numerous cinematic awards including Best Director for Polanski at the 60th Berlin International Film Festival and also at the 23rd European Film Awards in 2010.[4]

A ghostwriter (Ewan McGregor) is hired by publishing firm Rhinehart, Inc. to complete the autobiography of former British Prime Minister Adam Lang (Pierce Brosnan). The writer's predecessor and Lang's aide, Mike McAra, has recently died in an apparent drowning accident. 

Woaw, a nice find :

Just Google the title of this 2 episode serie, and you'll know what we are speaking about.

Trumps election, firing of about everybody, his mad (deranged) behaviour, etc .....

Comey Rule.jpg

Seeing the Trump impersonation the guys who made this movie are not great fans of him, they make him look even more ugly than he is IRL .... and that's not a small job !

More seriously, this movie approaches a few delicate issues like :

- when you're a government employee you're supposed to work for the government, whatever party is leading, whatever you love or hate the leader (same goes for military).  And clearly sometimes this must not be an easy thing.

- I am surprised how some top senior officials, lick ass and accept to be f***d in the ass... Grow some balls and throw your resignation on the table

And now, US BM, don't start with throwing shit like "it's paid by the lefties, its crooky Hillary etc...."  that's not the point

Enjoy.

I sure did, but honestly US politics doesn't come out of this looking good......  

I watched "Dead Fred" a few nights ago and quite enjoyed it. It's been panned by almost everybody but I think they're missing that - intentionally or unintentionally - it seems to be a tribute to the old Ealing comedies. If you look at it in that light, it's pretty good, even the cheesy music effects are so 1960's. The storyline and acting are all as they would have been in an old comedy, even down to the no-nonsense ending. I might just be getting simpler to please, but if you're a pensioner and can remember these old films from your yoof, then you may enjoy it.

MV5BNTM0YWJmMzYtOTZlYS00YzNhLTlkNTAtNzMx

5 minutes ago, Golfingboy said:

Finally saw Parasite, on the plane ride back home Tuesday.......wow. Can see why it won all those awards, really different kind of film

1DFDAB99-A9D7-406F-90D4-F7006B0B4852.jpeg

Saw it as the cinema and felt exactly the same. Would love to watch it again, sure there was a few things I missed on first viewing. About a week after I saw Snowpiercer by the same director, that's worth a watch too.  Very different to Parasite, shot with a Western cast but a great movie and gives a little insight into where he's coming from.

• Great Info 1

Just finished watching this. Thought it was well done. A tragedy that could have been avoided if upper management had listened to the warnings of the engineers. I couldn't believe how arrogant and unrepentant the two managers most responsible for the tragedy, Lucas (Director of Marshall Space Flight Center) and Mulloy (manager of the solid rocket booster program) came across during interviews with them for this series. I hope there is a special place in hell for them as they are directly responsible for the unnecessary deaths of seven brilliant, and skilled people.

Challenger: The Final Flight Netflix's Four-Part Series Will Premiere  September 16

• Like 1