Psychedelic San Francisco, The Era, Music, Art, Scene, Hippiedom etc.

CalEden

When I was a kid in about '68...used to take the M streetcar downtown to meet my mom at the corner of Van Ness & Market...right in front of the Fillmore West. There was a rack of handbill size prints (of posters) for upcoming shows. I still have a few tucked away...

Resized_Resized_20210407_155357(1)001.jpeg

• Like 1

I remember listening to this album (several times) in my bedroom 50 years ago. Quad stereo set up, sitting on an old thrown like chair (made of horse hair, Dog forgive me). Let's just say wasted (but in a good way). Memories rushing back like it was yesterday. Thankful as anything to have experienced it.

Edited by Glasseye
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, lazarus said:

When I was a kid in about '68...used to take the M streetcar downtown to meet my mom at the corner of Van Ness & Market...right in front of the Fillmore West. There was a rack of handbill size prints (of posters) for upcoming shows. I still have a few tucked away...

Resized_Resized_20210407_155357(1)001.jpeg

Your handbill retails for about $180.

Postcard is worth about $40/$50 retail. It looks like it is in great shape. Could you maybe please take a current photo of the old Dead Victorian. I may also repost the Owsley video.

Edited by CalEden

3 minutes ago, CalEden said:

If that is a postcard it is worth about $40/$50 retail. It looks like it is in great shape. Could you maybe please take a current photo of the old Dead Victorian. I may also repost the Owsley video.

I doubt if it is in his box of memories he'd sell it for $1,000.

Your poster is BG126, it is for a concert June 26, 1968. The poster artist is Lee Conklin, one of my favorites. His most famous poster is Santana's Lions head poster.

The Poster:

SF 1.jpg

SF 4.jpg

Another Lee Conklin Poster signed by Lee Conklin and Eric Burdon below:

SF 2.jpg

SF 3.jpg

Edited by CalEden

See any of these...

This page list details of the various Bill Graham promoted shows held at the Winterland Ballroom:

http://www.chickenonaunicycle.com/Winterland Shows.htm?fbclid=IwAR3QqjpAKaqj4L7LZy5493BWPmxruQboL0ivUPpbveYqDIzhYSbWWBvsek0

I've seen many of those bands but just one at Winterland. That Nov 2nd 1976 show with Black Sabbath, Earthquake and Greg Kihn. 

I really envy you guys that were able to be on hand for the rock scene in those days - I missed the whole 60's hippy scene by only a few years and growing up in a remote corner of Canada, I did not have access to the entertainment that those in the big cities enjoyed but we sure did enjoy the records...

Here's a 1st printing I have:

Capture.JPG

You got a good one the closing of the Fillmore West and looks great!

The BG-287 is one of the true prizes in the BG series. David Singer designed it as a gift to Bill Graham to commemorate the closing of The Fillmore. The poster was actually designed and printed after the shows it advertised, but it is included in most complete BG sets. It is highly desired and expensive as an original because it is one of the most beautiful images in the series, and also because the print run was small - around 1,000.

One of the most beautiful images created for the Bill Graham series, this poster was used to promote the last concerts at the Fillmore West. The press run was much smaller than other posters of the time, making it much scarcer today.

The original poster was printed on coated index stock and measures approximately 22″ x 27⅞″.

The second print poster was printed on thin, uncoated index stock, and folded to fit inside the album recorded during the closing of the Fillmore.

Artists:
Performers:

The first printing poster retails for more than $2,000 in mint condition. In looking up the going prices I did come across 2 near mint posters, one signed by the Artist and one not signed going for $1,000 each. Second prints of this poster are going for as much $1,000.

Below is an Artist Proof (a test printing before the run) It is number one and signed by the Poster Artist David Singer:

blu Cat 1.jpg

Below is my first print of BG287. It is not signed by the Artist.

blu Cat 2.jpg

Edited by CalEden
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1