Psychedelic San Francisco, The Era, Music, Art, Scene, Hippiedom etc.

CalEden

14 hours ago, lazarus said:

From the interweb...

"...It was 53 years ago on this day back in 1968, that Ten Years After, Country Weather and Sun Ra, played for four nights of dance/concerts at the Fillmore West, lights by Brotherhood of Light. This is BG poster number #145 in the old series and was printed only one time."

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=2003098469847844&set=gm.2059444877590686

257139848_2003098466514511_3874976393266737623_n.jpg

Thanks, Laz! Below is my First Print Poster which I purchased about 25 years ago. This is another Lee Conklin Poster.

P 21.jpg

Edited by CalEden
  • Thumbs Up 1

FD31, a Family Dog Poster (Avalon Ballroom, run by Chet Helms) was originally printed with the wrong dates. It was discovered and a new printing with the correct dates was run before the concert. The poster with wrong dates is coveted by collectors.

Date Post.jpg

The poster on the right contains the correct concert dates. The poster artists are Stanley Mouse and Alton Kelley, often collaborated on posters. Think Journey, Grateful Dead etc. Known as Mouse Kelly often mistaken for one artist. Stanley Mouse is famous for his running Mouse Signature. Which he signed on the poster on the right. Alton Kelly is deceased.

Edited by CalEden
  • Like 1

On 11/13/2021 at 2:46 AM, maipenrai said:

I really envy you guys that were able to be on hand for the rock scene in those days - I missed the whole 60's hippy scene by only a few years and growing up in a remote corner of Canada, I did not have access to the entertainment that those in the big cities enjoyed but we sure did enjoy the records...

Many people who were there missed large chunks of the scene, that's how the 60's were.    :default_getdown:  

Here are some examples of Stanley Mouse's signature:

Mouse Sig.jpg

You get a Peace of art (pun intended) when you get Stanley Mouse's signature. Alton Kelly died a few years back. So, there will not be any more signed Mouse/Kelly Posters.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bob lt said:

Many people who were there missed large chunks of the scene, that's how the 60's were.    :default_getdown:  

I was fortunate to catch part of it. My brother was in the thick of it where I was able to gain a lot of the insight and influence from him. I'm still very appreciative of that as I believe it has contributed a great deal to enjoyment of music, among other things.

From the interweb...

"It appears as if this "Poster From The Past" is a take-off on an East Indian painting of three Goddesses. Actually, the central image is of three women's faces. The one in the center is facing the viewer while the ones on either side of her are in profile facing outwardly. Their hair is very elaborately drawn, and they are wearing very elaborate earrings and necklaces. The borders sort of give the the poster a rug-like effect.

This is Family Dog number #92 in the old FD series entitled "Squiggily Trinity". The artist who did this poster, William Henry created a very well drawn and laid out, and was just a teenager in high school at the time he did it. 

Great Job,... I must say. 👌🏽This is the first of the three posters that he made for the Family Dog.

It was 54 (!*!*!) years ago on this day back in 1967, that Bo Diddley and Lee Michaels played for three nights of Dance/Concerts at the Avalon Ballroom here in San Francisco.

Share a Goddess with a friend!  Approved by....🎩👁Professor Poster👁🎩"

258354264_2005515252939499_6477329979318869041_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=2005515259606165&set=a.159077927583250

• Like 2

As a die hard fan of "Yes" Roger Dean had some incredible things to sell at the Mountain Winery back in July 2019.

He did all of the Yes albums, still does.

He is the guy sitting right next to Steve Howe, 2nd from the right. Nice guy, talked to him a bit at the "meet/greet"  started doing drawings etc back  in merry old England back in the day in High School. He had a tent at the show, good lord some great pictures. I did not want to ask him if he had anything available for like......$20? LOL! Wifey enjoyed the whole experience. 

s-l1600.jpeg

Yes.1pg.jpg

• Like 4

16 hours ago, lazarus said:

From the interweb...

"It appears as if this "Poster From The Past" is a take-off on an East Indian painting of three Goddesses. Actually, the central image is of three women's faces. The one in the center is facing the viewer while the ones on either side of her are in profile facing outwardly. Their hair is very elaborately drawn, and they are wearing very elaborate earrings and necklaces. The borders sort of give the the poster a rug-like effect.

This is Family Dog number #92 in the old FD series entitled "Squiggily Trinity". The artist who did this poster, William Henry created a very well drawn and laid out, and was just a teenager in high school at the time he did it. 

Great Job,... I must say. 👌🏽This is the first of the three posters that he made for the Family Dog.

It was 54 (!*!*!) years ago on this day back in 1967, that Bo Diddley and Lee Michaels played for three nights of Dance/Concerts at the Avalon Ballroom here in San Francisco.

Share a Goddess with a friend!  Approved by....🎩👁Professor Poster👁🎩"

258354264_2005515252939499_6477329979318869041_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=2005515259606165&set=a.159077927583250

Below is my framed printing #1

BG092.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I received my Birdsong (Winterland Grateful Dead and Jefferson Airplane) Poster and Handbill in the mail today. Incredibly pleased with the poster/handbill quality (pristine museum quality). Hard to believe they were printed over 50 years ago.

Songbird.jpg

Laz explanation for your poster color difference is that during the print run the yellow color run was skipped by accident which sometimes occurs. 

Edited by CalEden
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

In addition to all the great artwork from this era on record albums and the concert promotion posters and other assorted memorabilia, what I can't believe is the actual ticket prices for these great singers and groups when playing a show. I can't fathom seeing these acts at the top of their game for what was a $3 or $4 dollar admission.

While in the Army, I had a roommate in the barracks who had a Led Zeppelin poster in his wall locker from their '77 tour at Market Square Arena in Indianapolis, Indiana. At the bottom of the poster it listed the ticket prices for the show at $6, $7 and $8 dollars.

Nowadays, aside from having to take out a loan to afford a ticket if the three remaining members ever reunited with Jason Bonham on drums, the price of just parking your vehicle at the venue would probably be $40-50 dollars at least.

Great thread Cal Eden!

• Great Info 1

Almost all of the Filmore (West, East and Winterland) Concerts are available for streaming on demand for annual fee from this website www.wolfgangs.com 

Wolfgang is Bill Grahams real first name.

Wolfgang's Music

Unlimited streaming of the world's greatest live concert recordings.

Wolfgang's Music

From the interweb...

There is a heck of a lot going on, and a lot to look at in this "Poster From The Past" so let's get right to it! The central image is a carefully drawn portrait of Native American (perhaps a Chief) with a pair of hands holding a broken arrow, the symbol of unwillingness to make war. Below him is a heart below which is a drawing of another native American wearing buckskin clothing and in an elaborate headdress. Next to him is a nude woman. To the left of that is another heart within which is the man on the Quaker Oats box. To the right is another heart within which are additional Native Americans and yet another heart within which is a human face topped with ram's horns. Pointing in both directions at the bottom are nine arrows.There are a couple of strange looking birds at the top with one hand and one wing that flank the Chief on both sides. This poster is keeping with the Hippie fascination with the Native Americans societies as an idealized back to nature way of life.

It was 51 years ago on this day back in 1970, that Love, Arthur Lee, The James Gang and Black Sabbath, played the first of the two week shows of dance/concerts at the Fillmore West. The second week of shows started on the 26th and included Sha Na Na, Elvin Bishop and Tower of Power. This stunning rock poster was created by the very talented (and great guy t'boot) Norman Orr. and is a double sized as well as a double week poster. It is listed as BG Fillmore numbers #257 & 258 in the series and was printed just once.

Go on ….. Share the Chief! Good Poster, Approved by  🎩~Professor Poster~🎩"

259536694_2006847632806261_7206502954952233101_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=2006847636139594&set=a.159077927583250

• Like 2