Psychedelic San Francisco, The Era, Music, Art, Scene, Hippiedom etc.

CalEden

Family Dog Poster FD-126 (Printed only once), Avalon Ballroom, Poster referred to as Alice Griffin in reference to the female figure (Alice In Wonderland) and the Griffin in the center of the poster. There are 2 Posters and a double postcard promoting two different concerts (below the 2  posters). The red side of the postcard is a poster called Jaundice Alice FD-125.  

Alice Griffin Post.jpg

The Alice Griffen Poster featured Iron Butterfly, Indian Head Band and Collectors.

The artist is simply named Dottie.  Dottie was a 16-year-old girl that submitted her drawing to the Family Dog. A few weeks later she was notified that her drawing was accepted, and she was forwarded the concert details which resulted in the poster above. Dottie attended many Family Dog concerts.  

The Family Dog logo (Joint smoking, Top Hatted Indian) is an unfinished outline in the poster.  The reason is unclear. Towards the end as the Family Dog began to experience cash flow problems. As cost cutting measure paper color and some ink colors were not used. It got so bad that posters were limited to white paper and black ink. There are about a dozen FD posters in black and white only.

Edited by CalEden
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, CalEden said:

The Family Dog

I remember seeing the Family Dog venue at the beach when I was a kid. It was a huge slot car track facility prior to a concert hall.

Funny thing is I'm out there a lot these days, too

. . .

Lots of good San Francisco / Family Dog / Ocean Beach history here:

http://jerrygarciasbrokendownpalaces.blogspot.com/2011/10/family-dog-at-great-highway-660-great.html

Capture.JPG

https://www.wolfgangs.com/posters/anonymous-artists-of-america/poster/GHY691113.html

Edited by lazarus
cleaned it up a bit...
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, lazarus said:

I remember seeing the Family Dog venue at the beach when I was a kid. It was a huge slot car track facility prior to a concert hall.

Funny thing is I'm out there a lot these days, too

. . .

Lots of good San Francisco / Family Dog / Ocean Beach history here:

http://jerrygarciasbrokendownpalaces.blogspot.com/2011/10/family-dog-at-great-highway-660-great.html

Capture.JPG

https://www.wolfgangs.com/posters/anonymous-artists-of-america/poster/GHY691113.html

Heavy! You dropped a major flashback bomb: Slot Car Venues and the super cool track layouts and Le Mans type slot cars. Then your great link to the Ocean Beach Family Dog Link brough me back to my youth in my stomping grounds The Original Catalyst in the old victorian St. George Hotel: 

Memories of the Original Catalyst — Times Publishing Group, Inc. (tpgonlinedaily.com)

Great Highway 7/7/69

Catalog No. MSC-GHY.1969.07.07

This beautiful image was designed by Victor Moscoso and Wes Wilson for a Family Dog show at the Great Highway location on July 7, 1969. This image in known as FD-690707-OP-1 in the guide by Eric King and is quite scarce, especially in top condition.

The original poster was printed on white stock and measures approximately 20⅛"" x 14".

Artists:
Performers:

This is the most famous Family Dog at the Beach venue poster. What's confusing it also promotes a Fillmore concert. This poster is beautifully great. The poster in the photo is a mint condition first print.

A Pac Hiway2.jpg

A Pac Hiway.jpg

Because of glass reflection I have to take the photos at weird angles to cut down on reflection.

Edited by CalEden
  • Like 1

273172075_2060239557467068_3427825056731270521_n.jpg

This "Poster From The Past" is unquestionably one of “the” most sought after poster of the psychedelic-era and the defining Fillmore image. If this is not the most famous image in Rock n Roll posters, it certainly is not far from first place!

It was 54 eye-bugg'in years ago on this day back in 1968 that The Jimi Hendrix Experience, John Mayall & the Blues breakers and Albert King, played at the Fillmore Auditorium in San Francisco. Hendrix played on February 1st and 4th. In between those days he performed at the Winterland Arena, just around the corner from the Fillmore. Light show was provided by Holy See and McKay's Headlights.

The two opening acts were said to be Hendrix’s biggest influences as a guitarist, Albert King and John Mayall, so this was quite a treat for guitar lovers! If you already don't know, this iconic poster was created by the late and great Big Five Master,...Rick Griffin.(RIP 1991) The central image is of a bloodshot eyeball with wings and a rattlesnake's tail emerging from a circle of fire. It also has an arm with claws holding a skull. Rick appropriated the image from the famed California auto detailer and pin striper Von Dutch and added his own touches to reflect the psychedelic times. It was a symbol meaning something along the lines of, "the eye in the sky knows all and sees all". Two authorized printings were done of this poster and a Silk Screen (limited edition of 500 signed by Rick) over twice the size of the poster. There are also pirate images found out there, so collectors BEWARE!
It is not unusual to see first printings of this piece in top condition sell in the five figure price range!

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=2060239577467066&set=a.159077927583250

• Like 1

Just completed framing some handbills, postcards and tickets I collected. Can you image paying $5.00 in a small venue like Winterland to see Lead Zeppelin?  

Aferpost.jpg

Took a liking to the New Year Handbill with the SF Ferry building Lit up in the background the dove in the sky and the hand clutching the glowing orb (BG-263).  Unfortunately, I do not have this poster.

Aferpost2.jpg

Aferpost3.jpg

While framing this poster noticed the outline of the teeth was unusually dark. Even examined the poster to verify that someone hadn't traced the teeth with a black marking pen. Then realized the outline of the teeth spelled the featured band. Can you tell me what the headlined band was? 

Aferpost4 (2).jpg

Latest poster purchase. 

Avalon Ballroom 8/3-6/67

Catalog No. FD-74

This popular Family Dog poster was designed by Robert Fried for an August 1967 show at the Avalon Ballroom that featured the Charles Lloyd Quartet.

The original poster was printed on white index stock and measures approximately 14″ x 20″. The dots within the image and the lettering next to the Indian are printed in silver.

Artists:
Performers:

Aferpost5.jpg

Aferpost4.jpg

Aferpost4.jpg

Edited by CalEden

273900114_2068278256663198_7204319767868521754_n.jpg

This is a piece that I usually get a “I’ve never seen that one before” kind of response. A lot to take in with this one....here goes...

The central image here is two stone castle towers with a bridge between them. In the foreground two mounted men are approaching each other waving in greeting. One is mounted on a Unicorn wearing an eagle mask on his head, while the other is mounted on a donkey with deer antlers. Each one of them has a nude woman (of course) behind him on the saddle. The woman on the right has a hooded hawk just above her….. the other a joint. Two coyotes are sniffing each others noses in the foreground, each having an ear ring in it’s ear. A winged dragon is holding an orb in it’s claw extends it’s foreleg toward a monk with a staff walking across the bridge. A starry sky is in the background. Phew…. did ya take that all in?

Artist for this busy “Poster From The Past” was an fellow that simply went by the name Pierre. This double sized piece is BG number # 270 in the series and was printed only once.

It was 51 years ago back in 1971 that, over ten day period from Feb.11th - Feb. 21st, these dance/concerts took place in our fair City by the Bay. On the bill at the Fillmore West was Fleetwood Mac, Tom Rush, Clover, It’s a Beautiful Day, Blues Image and Tower of Power. Over at the Winterland Arena on Feb. 12th and 13th was Steppenwolf, Cold Blood, and if that weren’t enough, The Buddy Guy & Junior Wells Band! What a hell of a week+ of music! 👌🏽

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=2068278259996531&set=gm.2124539104414596

• 2 weeks later...

Just love that little Janis laugh at the end of the song.

Dialing For Dollars San Francisco Bay Area:

Pat McCormick (born c. 1933)[1] is a retired local television personality who worked for San Francisco's KGO-TV, and Oakland's, KTVU channel 2, where among many jobs he was the nightly news' weatherman, hosted the midday movie Dialing for Dollars program, and co-hosted the local edition of the Jerry Lewis Labor Day Telethon.

Dialing for Dollars[edit]

McCormick also hosted a show in the 1970s called Dialing for Dollars where random Bay Area people were called and asked to guess the "Count and the Amount". The "count" was used to determine which person would be called. The host would pick a slip of paper from a drum containing pages from local phone books sliced into convenient sizes. At the beginning of the show, the count was determined by spinning two wheels, one of which resulted in a number and the other in "top" or "bottom". If the count was, for instance, 3/top, the host would start at the top of the slip of phone book and count three numbers down from the top and call the resulting number. The "amount" was the amount of money to be won. It would start at $100 and increase by a fixed amount with every unsuccessful call. The calls were made during commercial breaks while the afternoon movie was being screened.

Edited by CalEden
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

274717493_2077907295700294_1910486165136002029_n.jpg

Somewhat a timely image with an enormous Uncle Sam that is pictured here as the central image on this "Poster From The Past".  His elbows are resting on a globe while he is watching a fleet of ships and airplanes moving toward a much smaller man viewed from the rear. That man is wearing a red jacket with a yellow dragon on the back and is obviously a symbol of the Orient.  In the background are numerous factory buildings with smoke pouring out from smokestacks. Looks like some sort of cold war propaganda. It’s interesting, but who knows what the artists might have had in mind!? This poster was a collaboration between the two artists David Singer and the late William Satty. (RIP Feb. 1982).  It is number #271 in the Fillmore poster series, printed only once.

It was 51 years ago back in 1971, that The New Riders of the Purple Sage, Boz Skaggs and James and the Good Brothers performed for four nights of dance/concerts at the Fillmore West right in downtown San Francisco! Light show and visual delights provided by Little Princess 109.

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=2077907305700293&set=a.159077927583250

• Like 1

6 hours ago, lazarus said:

274717493_2077907295700294_1910486165136002029_n.jpg

Somewhat a timely image with an enormous Uncle Sam that is pictured here as the central image on this "Poster From The Past".  His elbows are resting on a globe while he is watching a fleet of ships and airplanes moving toward a much smaller man viewed from the rear. That man is wearing a red jacket with a yellow dragon on the back and is obviously a symbol of the Orient.  In the background are numerous factory buildings with smoke pouring out from smokestacks. Looks like some sort of cold war propaganda. It’s interesting, but who knows what the artists might have had in mind!? This poster was a collaboration between the two artists David Singer and the late William Satty. (RIP Feb. 1982).  It is number #271 in the Fillmore poster series, printed only once.

It was 51 years ago back in 1971, that The New Riders of the Purple Sage, Boz Skaggs and James and the Good Brothers performed for four nights of dance/concerts at the Fillmore West right in downtown San Francisco! Light show and visual delights provided by Little Princess 109.

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=2077907305700293&set=a.159077927583250

This is one of my favorite posters. I have 2 in mint condition. This poster can still be bought in very good condition for reasonable price.  The Asian man in red robe with yellow dragon really draws your eye in a stark foreboding poster. 

• Like 2

Remember "Dialing for Dollars" quite well here. Mom used to know  "The count and the amount" hoping for that phone call. it never came. She was on "Let's Make a Deal" with Monty Hall back in 1967. Was on the Trading floor but did not get chosen. I was only 10 years old and stayed at home with the Baby sitter I was told. 

Great posters...

• Like 2

Just now, Yessongs said:

Remember "Dialing for Dollars" quite well here. Mom used to know  "The count and the amount" hoping for that phone call. it never came. She was on "Let's Make a Deal" with Monty Hall back in 1967. Was on the Trading floor but did not get chosen. I was only 10 years old and stayed at home with the Baby sitter I was told. 

Great posters...

Yeah, I watched that too. I bet you were a Capt. Satellite fan as well... 🙂

KTVU - Channel 2

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, CalEden said:

Laz, I think this listing of Mutiple concert events. 

yessir...a little over one month of great music!

Check out those 1972 ticket prices.

My 10-yo kid is going to Billie Eilish at Chase Center this week with her friend (& friend's mother). Stubhub tickets are listed at $325/ea.

• Like 1
  • Surprised 1

I'm in the process of cataloging my poster collection and verifying my printings. Many reprints do not indicate proper printing. Additionally, there are counterfeit posters too.

I discovered that my Zig Zag Man Poster was counterfeit. This poster is highly desirable and scarce ($$$). This is one of my first Posters I bought from the San Francisco iconic Poster Mat.

Counterfeit:

aZigZFak.jpg

Printing 2:

aZigZag.jpg

I just purchased the above poster at auction and paid the most I have ever paid for a poster. The first printing in similar condition would start at $10,000 and could go for up to double that.

I have heard stories of a Haight Poster shop that was caught selling counterfeits of the Zig Zag Man Poster. Chet Helm's Family Dog staff went and rubber-stamped counterfeit on the shops inventory. I've seen on occasion the rubber-stamped posters for sale. I may purchase one to add to my collection. Even the counterfeits have fairly good value.

I first started buying from Ben Friedman in San Francisco at his Columbus and Green Street shop. On my way home I would always stop by Molinari's Deli and get a great Italian sub or fresh made ravioli to take home.

I had Ben Freidman sign his photo in The Art of Rock.

ArtRock.jpg 

aBenPosterMat.jpg

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, lazarus said:

yessir...a little over one month of great music!

Check out those 1972 ticket prices.

My 10-yo kid is going to Billie Eilish at Chase Center this week with her friend (& friend's mother). Stubhub tickets are listed at $325/ea.

Listening to KNBR this morning they had Markie from NY. They were talking about Chase Center.  A great place to see Steph Curry and Warriors when he is active. Steph got recognized at the Academy Awards last night, overshadowed by Bitch slap fest.

Would love to see a concert there too.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, CalEden said:

<snip> ...

I first started buying from Ben Friedman in San Francisco at his Columbus and Green Street shop. On my way home I would always stop by Molinari's Deli and get a great Italian sub or fresh made ravioli to take home.

I had Ben Freidman sign his photo in The Art of Rock.

ArtRock.jpg 

^ That's a great book. Weighs about 15 lbs. Has a lot of good stuff along with the BG posters.

This one is good, too...SF History. I was there as a kid...used to play in Golden Gate Park & Haight Ashbury.

20220328_120715.jpg

20220328_120819.jpg

20220328_120829.jpg

20220328_121000.jpg

20220328_121029.jpg

• Like 1

Signe Anderson last Concert with Jefferson Airplane. Poster signed by Signe.

BG023 sid Signe Anderson1.jpg

Grace Slicks first concert with Jefferson Airplane. Right poster signed by Grace Slick.

ASound1 (2).jpg

First two posters on left are posters printed prior to the concert.

• Like 1