Scoot Air, long haul, low cost, Gatwick to Bangkok/Singapore

Krapow

Singapore-based budget airline Scoot has announced a surprising new route, with flights from London (LGW) to Singapore (SIN) via Bangkok (BKK) launching next month.

The airline is the low-cost arm of one of the world’s most respected full-service airlines, Singapore Airlines. The two airlines operate in a similar way to the relationship between Emirates and FlyDubai.

https://thepointsguy.co.uk/news/scoot-launching-london-flights/

• Thanks 1
  • Great Info 2

They must have done some serious market research and can see the value in that route, the times are pretty spot on and not too far away from the other direct operators, so given that I expect the price point will be some what more competitive and will make the other 3 have a look at their costing.

£240 each way is not bad, seems to be about £100 / £150 cheaper RTN than the average Thai / BA /EVA fare in econ so that's about £500 return versus around £600 / £650 depending upon when you fly.

However, depending upon the seat pitch / recline numbers, IFE, baggage and food, if it's a case of an extra £150 return on EVA I'd pay the extra for the few inches more and a better service.

Problem is, these days the "base" fare often adds up once seat selection / baggage / cancellation costs are factored in.

Anyway, more competition can't be a bad thing. I Just wish Emirates would offer a direct service from Stansted or Norwich!

2 minutes ago, Butch said:

They must have done some serious market research and can see the value in that route, the times are pretty spot on and not too far away from the other direct operators, so given that I expect the price point will be some what more competitive and will make the other 3 have a look at their costing.

£240 each way is not bad, seems to be about £100 / £150 cheaper RTN than the average Thai / BA /EVA fare in econ so that's about £500 return versus around £600 / £650 depending upon when you fly.

However, depending upon the seat pitch / recline numbers, IFE, baggage and food, if it's a case of an extra £150 return on EVA I'd pay the extra for the few inches more and a better service.

Problem is, these days the "base" fare often adds up once seat selection / baggage / cancellation costs are factored in.

Anyway, more competition can't be a bad thing. I Just wish Emirates would offer a direct service from Stansted or Norwich!

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/scoot-singapore-london-gatwick-flights-b1956678.html

28 minutes ago, Krapow said:

Singapore-based budget airline Scoot has announced a surprising new route, with flights from London (LGW) to Singapore (SIN) via Bangkok (BKK) launching next month.

The airline is the low-cost arm of one of the world’s most respected full-service airlines, Singapore Airlines. The two airlines operate in a similar way to the relationship between Emirates and FlyDubai.

https://thepointsguy.co.uk/news/scoot-launching-london-flights/

Well, i hope that Scoot are nothing like FlyDubai as they are absolutely shocking shite!!!! I've flown FD a few times now, and I swear to god never again!!!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sherlock said:

Well, i hope that Scoot are nothing like FlyDubai as they are absolutely shocking shite!!!! I've flown FD a few times now, and I swear to god never again!!!

I'll put up with a budget carrier for short haul up to 4 hours or so, but for a 10+ hour flight then there needs to be a certain level of comfort.

We flew Norwegian to Boston a few years ago, it was around 7 hour iirc, for a budget airline it was quite comfortable, decent IFE but not sure if I could have taken much more, as my shoulder really started t give me gyp at around 4 hours.

• Thumbs Up 1

Looking at the seat map, it is 3-3-3 in Econ but the plane is a 787, interestingly they have a "quiet zone" further forward with a 33 seat area, and "scoot plus" which is a biz recliner. no seats have TV's though!.

I'll run a price check for the best seats.

*edit in

Prices for dec LGW-BKK return (16th out, 26th back) were £740 or thereabouts for "scoot plus" which is 30kg baggage, a meal and the large, reclining seats. No blanket or eye visor / earplugs though.

I think "scoot plus" is , by looking at the seats, somewhere just over premium economy. Not a bad price for the product it seems, at least on first impressions.

Edited by Butch
  • Thumbs Up 1