Time Change

Glasseye

There's a lot of debate about binning the hour back in Autumn (it's not fucking "Fall", it's Autumn , a much better word and a better option than the lazy one of "Fall". Also, while I'm on the subject, it's "Railway Station" - not "Train Station". The latter is a lazy way of describing a great British institution) Rant over.

Anyone calling it a "train station" deserves a dose of syphilis.

The nights draw in, when I'm on nights in deepest december, I go to bed in the dark, wake up in the dark and work in the dark for about a fortnight, and I feel the physical and mental effects quite noticeably.

However, there is nothing like a night in rural England when the snow lays upon the ground on a clear night, all is silent, the stars pierce the blackness as you look up and the air you breathe in is crisp and cold.

I am on the back end of a rather splendid 2012 Rioja, so my judgement might be slightly impaired.

Edited by Butch
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Butch said:

There's a lot of debate about binning the hour back in Autumn (it's not fucking "Fall", it's Autumn , a much better word and a better option than the lazy one of "Fall". Also, while I'm on the subject, it's "Railway Station" - not "Train Station". The latter is a lazy way of describing a great British institution) Rant over.

Anyone calling it a "train station" deserves a dose of syphilis.

The nights draw in, when I'm on nights in deepest december, I go to bed in the dark, wake up in the dark and work in the dark for about a fortnight, and I feel the physical and mental effects quite noticeably.

However, there is nothing like a night in rural England when the snow lays upon the ground on a clear night, all is silent, the stars pierce the blackness as you look up and the air you breathe in is crisp and cold.

I am on the back end of a rather splendid 2012 Rioja, so my judgement might be slightly impaired.

Ah yes, and to be content with the knowledge that in that part of the world it will only last a few days or so before it melts off; come to my neighbourhood and put up with five solid months of this crap and you may sing a different tune - have some more Rioja, Butch - 555......

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

A twelve hour dayshift for me in the winter meant going to work in the dark,working all day in a hangar under artificial light & then going home in the dark.For weeks on end.Just like a mushroom but I was fed mostly on wifey's food instead of shit.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Haha 1

A couple of years ago the decision was made in my jurisdiction to stop changing the time with the seasons - it was thought that British Columbia would do this and we tend to usually follow BC's policies; however, BC decided to stay with the status quo so that after god knows how long of being in the same time zone as Vancouver - the Pacific zone - we are now on Alberta's time instead - Mountain time. Alaska was always one hour behind so now they are two hours behind and Vancouver is one hour behind. This has led to the ridiculous situation of having three towns which are basically one hundred miles apart, having three different time zones - Whitehorse, YT on Mountain time, Atlin, BC on Pacific time and Skagway, Alaska being on Alaskan time - silly. 

• Surprised 1

When I first went to Oman Friday was our weekend,as it is all over the Arab world.Then they decided they wanted a two day weekend but they couldn't have Saturday as that was the Israeli day of rest.

So our weekend became Thurs & Fri,which was no problem for most of us except that all of our aircraft spares and support (& god knows what else,our company supported most of the Omani armed forces)came from the UK,which had Sat & Sun as their days off.Not an ideal situation.

I believe they have changed it since I left to Fri & Sat.

• Like 1

On 11/13/2021 at 6:14 PM, Derek Dangleberries said:

I spent a month in a factory in Oulu, Finland in December. It was so fucking weird to always be "in the dark" ..

I did a two year assignment in Norway.  The (short) summers were great.  Almost 24 hours of daylight.  A soft rain started in late August my second year that didn't let up until it turned to snow.  Dark from August on.  I didn't make it to my third summer there.  I told the company they could transfer me or fire me, but I was going back to SE Texas.

12 minutes ago, tko said:

I did a two year assignment in Norway.  The (short) summers were great.  Almost 24 hours of daylight.  A soft rain started in late August my second year that didn't let up until it turned to snow.  Dark from August on.  I didn't make it to my third summer there.  I told the company they could transfer me or fire me, but I was going back to SE Texas.

Yeh, I spent almost a year there starting from January through to September-ish. T'was the year of the lone terrorist attack (But that is another subject!)