The Ashes 2021/22

coxyhog

Surely deserves it's own thread? Less than three weeks to go!

From an England perspective: Will Archer be fit & can Wood last a five day match? Are Anderson & Broad over the hill? Can our top three batsmen get any runs?

The Aussies need to appoint a new skipper.

• Thumbs Up 3

Just now, thegrogmonster said:

Not sure bowlers make good captains but maybe Pat Cummins should be given a go.

I hope the Barmy Army are coming over as I enjoy their antics. Looking forward to a good series.

That would be my call...great bowler, calm personality.

• Thumbs Up 2

8 minutes ago, thegrogmonster said:

Not sure bowlers make good captains but maybe Pat Cummins should be given a go.

I hope the Barmy Army are coming over as I enjoy their antics. Looking forward to a good series.

Currently vice captain so only fair he's given a crack.Top class bowler along with Hazelwood,who for me is the new McGrath (Hazelwood).

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Surely not....

Pace bowler Pat Cummins could take over as captain but Freudenstein, who joined the CA board in 2019, did not rule out Smith being re-appointed to the role.

"We put in place a process for finding a new captain that was going to take place over the summer in anticipation that Tim would one day retire," he said.

"We are obviously accelerating that process ... and will come to a conclusion to that in plenty of time before the Ashes."

He added: "There is going to be a very thorough, and now quite quick, process and we will look at a range of criteria.

"There are a range of candidates available for that role. Steve Smith is one of the candidates that is available for that role."

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, coxyhog said:

I guess shares in sandpaper manufacturers will go up.

Not as much as the poms stocking up on murray mints 😛

Bring bucket loads. You will need 'em 😛

Edited by Zeb
  • Haha 1

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/nov/26/extremely-concerned-tim-paine-takes-leave-of-absence-from-all-cricket?utm_term=Autofeed&CMP=twt_b-gdnnews&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1637883339

Tim Paine will take an indefinite leave of absence from all cricket “for the foreseeable future”, throwing into serious doubt his availability for both the Ashes and his future in the international game.

Less than two weeks before the start of Australia’s series defence against England, Paine’s manager announced he would take a “mental health break” in the wake of the text message scandal which prompted the veteran wicket-keeper batsman to stand down as Australian Test captain last Friday.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Stillearly said:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/nov/26/extremely-concerned-tim-paine-takes-leave-of-absence-from-all-cricket?utm_term=Autofeed&CMP=twt_b-gdnnews&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1637883339

Tim Paine will take an indefinite leave of absence from all cricket “for the foreseeable future”, throwing into serious doubt his availability for both the Ashes and his future in the international game.

Less than two weeks before the start of Australia’s series defence against England, Paine’s manager announced he would take a “mental health break” in the wake of the text message scandal which prompted the veteran wicket-keeper batsman to stand down as Australian Test captain last Friday.

We'll both end up with depleted squads, the convicts having sex pest treatment and ours in anti racism treatment. 

• Haha 1

Archer,Sam Curran & Olly Stone are crocked so it looks like England are depending on Anderson(39yo),Broad(35yo),Stokes,Robinson,Woakes & Wood for fast bowling.

Not sure Wood will last 5 days let alone 5 tests but he's the only truly fast one we have.

Edited by coxyhog
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, coxyhog said:

Archer,Sam Curran & Olly Stone are crocked so it looks like England are depending on Anderson(39yo),Broad(35yo),Stokes,Robinson,Woakes & Wood for fast bowling.

Not sure Wood will last 5 days let alone 5 tests but he's the only truly fast one we have.

Not long to wait now. Will be hard to get something at the Gabba

• Like 1

4 hours ago, coxyhog said:

Woakes not great away from home in tests either.

No batters and depleted bowling, well looks like McGrath will be calling his customary 5-0 result then.🤣

• Haha 1