Chicago Eats

Glasseye

The first two of the foods mentioned in this vid originated in the Michigan Ave. area, where I first worked and lived following my college days. If was a fascinating area, and in the 18th District (incredibly diverse area, both economically and culturally). The District included some of the most wealthiest neighborhoods in the country down to one of the most notorious crime riddled housing projects, Cabrini Green. 

Back in those days I took many of the foods presented in this video for granted as they were always around and enjoyed often. Now, that I have been away from the City for many years I miss those same foods as they are difficult to find, and frankly copy cats just don't compare to the real thing.

For those who ever get a chance to visit the Windy City I am sure you will enjoy and have an unforgettable experience. Just be careful what neighborhood you go into, as they can change within just a couple of blocks. For decades (and probably still is) it was considered the most segregated city in the country. That, along with it's gang history, explains why it has such a high murder rate and violent reputation.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Glasseye said:

For those who ever get a chance to visit the Windy City I am sure you will enjoy and have an unforgettable experience.

I spent a bit of time at the company HQ in Arlington Heights but travelled into town a few times whilst my visa for Mexico was being processed. Being the fearless nosey fucker I was at the time I spent hours taking spiraling walks away from the centre.

Yes a very interesting city... but I'm afraid I upset quite a few locals by "standing in line" looking at the menu and deciding what I wanted... I should have just waited my turn and yelled out "blubble splurger over topside, uber alles, with dribble snot" 

7 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

I spent a bit of time at the company HQ in Arlington Heights but travelled into town a few times whilst my visa for Mexico was being processed. Being the fearless nosey fucker I was at the time I spent hours taking spiraling walks away from the centre.

Yes a very interesting city... but I'm afraid I upset quite a few locals by "standing in line" looking at the menu and deciding what I wanted... I should have just waited my turn and yelled out "blubble splurger over topside, uber alles, with dribble snot" 

5555555 !

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

We used to go to this Mexican joint on the West Side. Some of those hoods you could barely recognize as being on the same planet. But, when we went to that place it was always four of us in the same car, and of course all of us were packin.

The place served incredible burritos that were so fucking big it was difficult to finish just one of them - $2 each. We would get our burritos and links (which were also incredibly good), jump back in the car and get the hell out of there.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Glasseye said:

We used to go to this Mexican joint on the West Side. Some of those hoods you could barely recognize as being on the same planet. But, when we went to that place it was always four of us in the same car, and of course all of us were packin.

The place served incredible burritos that were so fucking big it was difficult to finish just one of them - $2 each. We would get our burritos and links (which were also incredibly good), jump back in the car and get the hell out of there.

I was about a year out of the military at the time and still had my "scary NI eyes" which seemed to attract women and made men wary, and quite honestly I just didn't give a f**k!

Nowadays it would be like "look at that fat old man, he can barely walk!" 

Glad to see you have lived your life too mate!

• Like 1