Memory

Nightcrawler

Recently I find it quite difficult to remember names of people, whilst I can visualise who they are. It worries me sometimes. Yet, I can vividly remember certain situations that I have experienced in the past, especially those that have been quite signification 

I have been putting this down largely to getting older and maybe seeing my brain as being like a PC hard drive that is nearly full and needing a defrag. My random access memory is becoming fogged when it comes to certain things

It's all there, everything I have experienced, but access is becoming more difficult as I get older. 

I find myself quite often, going through the alphabet to remember a name, that I should remember 

Do any other members experience this? I sometimes worry that I may be becoming senile

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

Recently I find it quite difficult to remember names of people, whilst I can visualise who they are. It worries me sometimes. Yet, I can vividly remember certain situations that I gave experienced in the past, especially those that have been quite signification 

I have been putting this down largely to getting older and maybe seeing my brain as being like a PC hard drive that is nearly full and needing a defrag. My random access memory is becoming fogged when it comes to certain things

It's all there, everything I have experienced, but access is becoming more difficult as I get older. 

I find myself quite often, going through the alphabet to remember a name, that I should remember 

Do any other members experience this? I sometimes worry that I may be becoming senile

Yup, since packing up work and growing older, my memory recall has definitely deminished.

To be fair, I have been crap at remembering names most of my life, but even more so now. There is a guy in my local that always says hello, he looks very familiar, but to the life of me I don't remember his name or more worrying, is that I don't know from what side of my life I know him from! If I find out his name then the latter will probably sort itself out, but I am not about to embarrass myself and ask him.

I have always been awful with names but I put it down to working as a contractor for most of my life & working with & knowing so many different people.

The worst thing is being expected to introduce two people you know but can't remember either one or both of their names,very embarrassing.

• Like 1

I used to be exactly the same. Have a brilliant memory for faces, places and pre Mr Google pub quizzes facts, languages etc.

So learned all sorts of memory mastery skills and tricks like association and matching a name to an animal Beverly the Badger --Stan the Sloth ---- Peter the Porcupine ...I learned to ask people to repeat their names so it would sink in and learned the old Greek philosophers memory tricks of journeys and place names,

Trouble is ............

Made feck all difference any of it after years of trying still crap .....  and now just say Hi to everyone.  

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

I don't know if this is the same as everyone has experienced, I seem to be Ok with other people's names, but find myself doing shit I wonder what I am doing.

Like yesterday, bought wifey some things on line for Christmas right? Get the knock on the door, take the package back to my "man cave" to look it over and make sure everything is alright. Used the scissors to cut open the package..ok no problem. Quickly hide it in my "special spot" for Christmas morning. 

Walk into the kitchen and attempted to put the scissors in the refrigerator??  WTF?  Just kind of shake the cobwebs out a bit and the realization hit me I might have a problem! 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Yessongs said:

Walk into the kitchen and attempted to put the scissors in the refrigerator??  WTF?  Just kind of shake the cobwebs out a bit and the realization hit me I might have a problem!

Just those many Winterland nights coming back... :default_drink:

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, nampla69 said:

I used to be exactly the same. Have a brilliant memory for faces, places and pre Mr Google pub quizzes facts, languages etc.

So learned all sorts of memory mastery skills and tricks like association and matching a name to an animal Beverly the Badger --Stan the Sloth ---- Peter the Porcupine ...I learned to ask people to repeat their names so it would sink in and learned the old Greek philosophers memory tricks of journeys and place names,

Trouble is ............

Made feck all difference any of it after years of trying still crap .....  and now just say Hi to everyone.  

These days with my fading memory I just call everyone mate.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Yessongs said:

I don't know if this is the same as everyone has experienced, I seem to be Ok with other people's names, but find myself doing shit I wonder what I am doing.

Like yesterday, bought wifey some things on line for Christmas right? Get the knock on the door, take the package back to my "man cave" to look it over and make sure everything is alright. Used the scissors to cut open the package..ok no problem. Quickly hide it in my "special spot" for Christmas morning. 

You're not alone!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Yessongs said:

You will be OK as long as you don't forget where your special spot is on Xmas morning.  Then you need to watch out.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Yesitisdakid said:

Even after being removed from the Secrets forum (or so they thought😝) I remember many of the BM Names as well as their forum names guessing the fact that I do not drink has something to do with that.

Hi Steve .....

WTF !!! ..... Yorkshire cricket club involved in a big racism scandal in UK just now.

If someone joined with a massive Sri Lankan Venkataraghavanji type name they always called him Steve. Worked well for a while now seen as racist.

I'll just keep calling you Bitch.

• Haha 1

Nothing unusual with this - the city I live in is relatively small at 33,000 people, yet covers an area of 160 square miles so I can often go for months without meeting acquaintances; compound this with the fact that in normal times I am gone overseas for four or five months and yes, I quite often have trouble putting names to faces and it's not getting any better as I get older...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nampla69 said:

Hi Steve .....

WTF !!! ..... Yorkshire cricket club involved in a big racism scandal in UK just now.

If someone joined with a massive Sri Lankan Venkataraghavanji type name they always called him Steve. Worked well for a while now seen as racist.

I'll just keep calling you Bitch.

Pretty Bitch

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 3

This scares me in all honesty. I was always known for having an incredible memory, especially for numbers and recalling stories. The last few months, I find myself forgetting what I was saying more and more. The other day, I was getting my winter tires put on and had forgotten the 3 middle digits of my mobile number. But I chalk that up to the age we are in and always using speed dial. But still, I wonder if I’m already going downhill at only 45. 

Scary stuff

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Nightcrawler said:

Recently I find it quite difficult to remember names of people, whilst I can visualise who they are. It worries me sometimes. Yet, I can vividly remember certain situations that I gave experienced in the past, especially those that have been quite signification 

I've been dealing with this for years. Nothing to worry about.

The advantage I had back in the day....If I couldn't remember the name I could usually remember the situation or incident they were involved in. I could then relay the story to one of my co-workers and piece it together. After a few "oh ya's, a couple of laughs, and some counter perspectives we were usually able to come up with a name.

Now... I just laugh it off. Say, hey I forgot your name, and it's all good. High percentage of the time they have also forgotten my name, which is o.k. with me.  lol

6 hours ago, fforest said:

Lots of supplements out there that might help....
But they have to be tested out one by one because many won't do much....Google and start reading...

Or

If your not a researcher a Naturopathic doctor might have some good ideas...

What's so funny Stillerly?....Are you saying there is absolutely nothing anyone can do to help themself? 

Well a Mountain of research proves you wrong....And mainstream doctors have almost zero training for this sort of thing.... 

•