Shall i or shan't i - It does look rather nice imo

Pumpuynarak

My mum had the cat nicked from her 2000 Yaris,cost her £550 to get it fixed.

The garage she uses were doing a free etching service on cats to make them traceable but when I rang to book my mum's car in they said don't bother.

Seems the generic ones are not wanted & the thieving toerags leave them alone.

• Surprised 1

3 hours ago, coxyhog said:

My mum had the cat nicked from her 2000 Yaris,cost her £550 to get it fixed.

The garage she uses were doing a free etching service on cats to make them traceable but when I rang to book my mum's car in they said don't bother.

Seems the generic ones are not wanted & the thieving toerags leave them alone.

Insurance did'nt pay the bill then Coxy or was her cover only TPFT ?

On 12/8/2021 at 4:51 AM, Pumpuynarak said:

Well i popped in to my local Toyota dealer enquiring about the Fort GR4 and was given a brochure. I asked this very pretty young lady what they would give me (best offer) for my Fort parked outside, she went away then came back and said 200K !!!

I was surprised that was the best offer for my Fort considering i was buying a new Fort costing almost 1.9M.

I think if i go ahead with the purchase i'll sell my Fort privately as i'm convinced i can get more considering its condition then it will be a case of how much discount they will give me.  

Watch this space lol 

The price of second hand cars has gone through the roof in the UK due to the chip shortage.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well i went into another Toyota dealership yesterday, the one where i actually bought my Fort from, they've been looking after it for the last 15 years by way of servicing it every 6 months and sorting out the occasional hiccup which i have to say has been very infrequent.

They offered me 330K for it which is a bit more in tune with what its really worth here in Thailand. I still think i'll try and sell privately as i believe i could get 400K for it, it really is in good nick, not a single mark on the body work and drives and looks like nearly new.

Watch this space lol 

• Like 2

On 12/9/2021 at 12:07 PM, andyajn said:

The price of second hand cars has gone through the roof in the UK due to the chip shortage.

There is a small second hand dealer I pass most days which appears to predominantly sell used Range Rovers. The cheapest on offer appears to be at £50K and some double that price and some!

My first car cost £25 and had little mechanical "arms" that popped up when you wanted to indicate turning right or left. 🤣

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Jambo said:

My first car cost £25 and had little mechanical "arms" that popped up when you wanted to indicate turning right or left.

and so did mine (Ford Pop) but they never worked all the time only when they felt like it lol One of my first jobs on the car was to install a proper set of indicators.

Edited by Pumpuynarak

On 12/3/2021 at 1:44 PM, Butch said:

They contain precious metals and on the black market fetch around £100 each. All you need is a trolley jack, battery operated jigsaw with a high tensile steel cutting blade and some muscle to stand out and watch. There have been a few cases of thieves getting crushed when the jacks failed...shame.

Toyota Prius are a prime target, as the cats can be sold for around £700 each on the black market. Some fetch serious money and 3 a night is a decent income.

Best option if you lose yours is to buy a generic one from Ebay and get it welded it in. The cat on my car is protected by 9 1/2 stone of German Shepherd while parked in the gated driveway.

@Yessongs end of the Bay...

15 arrested in South Bay bust of catalytic converter theft ring

https://www.sfchronicle.com/crime/article/15-arrested-in-South-Bay-bust-of-catalytic-16698491.php

San Jose Police said law enforcement officials recovered more than 1,000 catalytic converters, $50,000 in cash and a cache of illegal weapons as a result of a six-month investigation into stolen catalytic converters across the South Bay city.

Police said they concluded the investigation last month, which was dubbed “Operation Cat Scratch Thiever.” According to a press release, the investigation was spurred by a rash of catalytic converter thefts over the past two years — a trend shared by other cities in the Bay Area, including San Francisco.

In the course of their investigation, detectives identified and arrested 15 people accused of stealing catalytic converters or taking part in the underground market that spurs demand for them. They also recovered a range of tools used to steal catalytic converters, which are exhaust emission control devices located on the belly of a car that contain precious metals which can be sold.

The suspects identified in the investigation have been charged with crimes ranging from grand theft to assault with deadly weapons. Three businesses — allegedly appearing to cater to these thieves — have also been shut down by the city and referred to the San Jose City Attorney’s Office.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I thought I'd add this post just to show how cheaply  today's vehicles are made; this is the door panel off of a late model (@2014-15) Chev pickup. It was brought into my friend's autobody shop to fix the door latch handle, which I've circled in the photo below. This mechanism is made entirely of plastic, and is "hot-riveted" in place, i.e. the mechanism fits over plastic pins cast into the door panel and then the pins are spread with heat to retain the mechanism - in other words, once it's fastened it is not possible to remove it and then re-fasten it. A small part within the mechanism is broken, so now the owner must fork out @$800 for a whole new door panel, just because one small plastic part failed - junk. 

Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg

• Great Info 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/10/2021 at 6:31 AM, Pumpuynarak said:

I still think i'll try and sell privately as i believe i could get 400K for it, it really is in good nick, not a single mark on the body work and drives and looks like nearly new.

Watch this space lol 

Anyone know how/what medium i could advertise my Fort for sale here in Thailand ?

Thanks for any help guys.

40 minutes ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Anyone know how/what medium i could advertise my Fort for sale here in Thailand ?

Thanks for any help guys.

BahtSold is a most excellent site for selling most anything on, well worth trying mate.

It's free, unless you wish to put more than 6 pictures on, but even then still cheap.

I've used it many times over the years, and always done well with my sales.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Well i'm still undecided whether to take the plunge. I've been doing a bit of research on this GR Sport and the amount of gadgetry is mind blowing, it will be like driving a new PC lol, i think most of the features will be a little bit beyond me or my interest.

I've yet to be able to actually find one in a local dealership to see and try in the flesh !!!

• Like 1