Nana

Glasseye

1 hour ago, Glasseye said:

Cool video from Bangkok Bangkok Pat....

So many memories ...and I'm only 13 minutes in !!

I can smell the Portaloo at Cheap Charlies just by looking at the bar pictures!!

Seeing the BTS under construction was when I was a Field Engineer for TAC (Later to become DTAC!). Driving to sites avoiding the traffic with a map on my lap put extra pressure on me that I didn't need trying to get the system up and running!

Dollhouse Clinton Plaza had a young sproggy manager that banned me for taking a girl's top off....

Gotta do some jobs.I can't wait to look at the rest!!

Continued...

Soi 0 ..What can I say.... After the '97 crash it was where all the recently unemployed "good " office girls/managers migrated to. The girls, and more specifically their managers, that would never show an interest in farang suddenly wanted to be your best mate.

Soi 10 ..Quieter than you'd expect really considering the amount of people that remember it. My main memory was of a Thai man asking me to shag his wife in a 3some on a mattress behind the bar. I declined!

There is a link at the end to Washington Sq...I'd love for @Gary to dissect that one for us!

I moved over here in 1991. Even back then traffic was horrible. My home away from home was Washington Square. I had been to Pat pong and liked it there but it was too difficult to get to because of the traffic. Soi Cowboy was within easy walking distance to the Square so I walked there quite often. Once in a while I would walk to Soi 4 Nana Plaza when I got bored for something different to do. After the Sky Train got running, Pat pong was then an easy trip.

When the Thai economy crashed, about 1996-1997 I went back to the States to work. After five very long years working in Kalifornia, I finally was able to retire and moved back to Thailand. I lived in Washington Square and got into a huge problem with a bar I had supposedly bought. Needless to say I lost my investment, but that's another story. I really didn't go far from the Square then. If what I wanted couldn't be found in the Square, I would still make the rounds and have a few beers with my old friends. There were seven bars in the Square that I liked to patronize. After making the bar rounds, I would stumble back to my room and call it a night. A new area called Queens Park Plaza on Soi 22 opened. I did spend quite a bit of time there with friends who opened  bars there.. After Washington Square was demolished, I found no reason to stay in Bangkok and moved to Jomtien. I rarely went into Pattaya and when I did go, I took a baht bus. My favorite place in Pattaya was the FLB bar. All that is left in Bangkok for me is very fond memories. Most of my old friends, Vietnam spooks, retired veterans and other acquaintances are dead and gone anyways.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

33 minutes ago, Gary said:

All that is left in Bangkok for me is very fond memories. Most of my old friends, Vietnam spooks, retired veterans and other acquaintances are dead and gone anyways.

Yes mate. Same here but I lived over at Rangnam with its own group of Vietnam vets. Fantastic place until it was "gentrified".

Gone but not forgotten!

Interestingly (for me!) the same bloke did a vlog on Makassan and he shows the remnants of the BBQ chicken place I referred to in another thread! 

Funny old game, isn't it!

6 hours ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

Yes mate. Same here but I lived over at Rangnam with its own group of Vietnam vets. Fantastic place until it was "gentrified".

Gone but not forgotten!

Interestingly (for me!) the same bloke did a vlog on Makassan and he shows the remnants of the BBQ chicken place I referred to in another thread! 

Funny old game, isn't it!

Actually quite sad, but life goes on and things change, often not for the best..

• Thumbs Up 1

Like alot of us, first visited Nana in 1999, just loved the place really. I could go on and on for days about my fun times there. Girls standing outside Nana, good lord how easy that made it for us looking for a little "cardio" back in the "loom" huh?  The good restaurants all in that area, the skytrain dropping right off there etc.etc.etc. An "institution" no doubt in my mind. 

Great video Glass....

DSCN0419 (3).JPG

DSCN0419 (5).JPG

DSCN1703.jpg

DSCN9044.JPG

• Like 3

I fell in love with a girl from Nana. She was a true bi-sexual and she had excellent taste for beautiful ladies. She spoke very good English. She had married a Brit and he divorced her when he found her in bed with another lady. I was bar-fining her on a regular basis. I went there one night to get her and she wasn't there. The mamason told me that my regular was gone and wouldn't be back. Some Aussie married her and I never saw her again. What a lucky guy he was.

10 hours ago, Yessongs said:

Like alot of us, first visited Nana in 1999, just loved the place really. I could go on and on for days about my fun times there. Girls standing outside Nana, good lord how easy that made it for us looking for a little "cardio" back in the "loom" huh? 

Having seen photos of literally dozens of your "dates" I can see a consistency in your "spec" ...

Young, pretty & fit!

• Like 1

My first visit was in '98. At the time Washington Square was not on the radar for me, but Nana sure was.

Over the years I heard more about Wash. Sq. but by the time I became interested it was shut down. I do enjoy the stories though, that's for sure.

And Yes Thanks for those pics... Helps keep the blood flowing. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Yessongs said:

the skytrain dropping right off there etc.etc.etc.

I think the "sky train" here will make or break soi 6. I think the latter.

It would be nice if it went along 3rd road and had a stop at soi excyte then you could walk to Buakhao in much the same way that you walked to Nana or go t'other way along bongkot/Arunothai much the same as when you walked to soi 10/Clinton etc

You know it makes sense!

• Like 1