Favorite Christmas movie

Mr. Smooth

It's almost a given, in America at least, that when it comes to your favorite Christmas movie, "It's A Wonderful Life", is at the top of the list for most people. And for many years, that was the case with me. And even the great Jimmy Stewart once called it his favorite movie as well.

But over the last 10-15 years, for me, another has taken it's place, and that is "Love Actually". I know, I know, a bit pretentious and for a couple of the interwoven storylines, you pretty much have to suspend your common sense, but overall, it's message is poignant and sweet and with a great cast of mostly British, Irish and Scottish actors, I never grow tired of watching it each December, and which I did earlier this week. The storyline involving the old rock star trying to make a comeback played by Bill Nighy, is my particular favorite. He is funny as hell!

And besides, in that closing scene when all those people are hugging each other at Heathrow, while the Beach Boys classic, "God Only Knows", is playing, well, it never fails to tug at the heartstrings, and leaves me a misty eyed, sentimental tub of goo.

Any of you guys have a Christmas favorite that you always watch every year when the holidays come around?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AJSP said:

The Polar Express with Tom Hanks - my daughter was 4 and lived me full time on our own and we watched and watched numerous times and I still love it to this day.

Special memories, such as that, are priceless mate........

My "favourite" isn't even a film I like!

My first Thai wife spent Xmas with me and my Mum in 97. We brought with us a video cassette of Titanic. They promised me that they would watch it Boxing Day lunch whilst I went down the pub but when I woke up from Xmas Dinner I discovered that I was alone....It didn't take me long to find them in the "front room", cuddled up together on the settee bawling their eyes out.

Happy memories!

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

My "favourite" isn't even a film I like!

My first Thai wife spent Xmas with me and my Mum in 97. We brought with us a video cassette of Titanic. They promised me that they would watch it Boxing Day lunch whilst I went down the pub but when I woke up from Xmas Dinner I discovered that I was alone....It didn't take me long to find them in the "front room", cuddled up together on the settee bawling their eyes out.

Happy memories!

^^^^ Great movie. Another one of my favorites. It is a very touching movie for me in many respects. I think because of the memories and how they were presented by the old woman. She reminded me so much of my Aunt who I cared for for years, and died of Covid in 2020.

Another reason - When I first viewed Titanic I thought it was great, a classic. My mother loved history (one of the gifts she passed on to me). I suggested to her she watch the movie, but for some odd reason she didn't seem interested. She never said why, but it was one of those things that I just didn't press her on.

Over the years after several viewings. The movie came up in conversation with my Mom once again. I was relieved to learn she had in fact watched it. And she admitted it was very good and enjoyed it very much. For some reason that meant a lot to me as there was some sort of emotional connection in me that is difficult to describe.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Laurel & Hardy "March of the Wooden Soldiers" Love the Zepplin flying crazy monkey throwing the cherry bombs scene. Also, the Bogey Man chase scene. Just silly comedy!

"It's a Wonderful Life" The original Martini's Bar looks like a wonderful place to have a drink!

"Christmas Story" I think the Lamp would be great in my den.

"Christmas Vacation" 4 years ago fell off the ladder when one side sunk into the wet ground when stringing the lights on the roof ledge.

17 hours ago, Mr. Smooth said:

It's almost a given, in America at least, that when it comes to your favorite Christmas movie, "It's A Wonderful Life", is at the top of the list for most people. And for many years, that was the case with me. And even the great Jimmy Stewart once called it his favorite movie as well.

But over the last 10-15 years, for me, another has taken it's place, and that is "Love Actually". I know, I know, a bit pretentious and for a couple of the interwoven storylines, you pretty much have to suspend your common sense, but overall, it's message is poignant and sweet and with a great cast of mostly British, Irish and Scottish actors, I never grow tired of watching it each December, and which I did earlier this week. The storyline involving the old rock star trying to make a comeback played by Bill Nighy, is my particular favorite. He is funny as hell!

And besides, in that closing scene when all those people are hugging each other at Heathrow, while the Beach Boys classic, "God Only Knows", is playing, well, it never fails to tug at the heartstrings, and leaves me a misty eyed, sentimental tub of goo.

Any of you guys have a Christmas favorite that you always watch every year when the holidays come around?

Love actually is a great film and one I can watch over and over.

As a kid I always enjoyed the Elvis films at xmas, but they seemed to loose popularity. 

Obviously 007 always got an airing at Xmas too!

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, boydeste said:

Love actually is a great film and one I can watch over and over.

As a kid I always enjoyed the Elvis films at xmas, but they seemed to loose popularity. 

Not his films, but Dad always had a couple of Elvis tapes cranking on Xmas Eve. Blue Christmas etc……

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Aqualung said:

Planes, trains and automobiles with Steve Martin and John Candy. 

101 Dalmatians, the original animated version. 

I had forgotten about Planes, Trains and Automobiles.....   A very good movie.

The first time I watched this I thought at the beginning it would suck. Turned out to be a great movie. I need to check it out again.

Someone else mentioned 34th Street. A fabulous movie, true classic. Tough to beat that one  for great Christmas movies.

• Like 1