collectibles, rare stuff and sentimental values.

Butch

I've got a load of collectible stuff, from used Bargirls panties right through to a very nice SS Dress Dagger, KAR98 Bayonet with matching numbers and a genuine, bona fide antique digital clock.

Rare stuff includes a few books, plus some coins and stamps as well as a first edition signed bible*

However, I also have a mate's old medals from WW2 which I kept from the family as they were vultures (and he entrusted me with their safekeeping - long story and can elaborate if you want) which to me have enormous value and are, pretty much priceless. Along with my Mum's photo's of us together and a few other bits and bobs, are the first thing's I'd try to save in a fire.

What about you guys?.

*it's a 2015 first edition and it was signed by my mate bob

5 minutes ago, Bazle said:

I've been doing my best to get rid of stuff like that - decluttering! The problem has been finding homes for them. I'm going to have to try to get to grips with ebay. 

Buy a bigger house. Collecting is an addiction.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, CalEden said:

Buy a bigger house. Collecting is an addiction.

Back when I was young I had a great collection of old rock/metal LP's. Also Marvel /DC comics. Then added lots of rare white label rave /dance music 12".But not owning my own house and constantly moving, it becomes difficult to keep them. Had a lot of rare stuff, especially promotional records, rare picture discs, coloured vinyls etc. 

Love to have been able to keep them, breaks my heart thinking about what I had. But unfortunately life don't always turn out how you'd like it to. 

• Thumbs Up 2

When I was in college in the late 1980’s, I tried borrowing the book Deliverance  by James Dickey from the campus library. Every time I tried it was off the shelf. I asked the librarian, who checked and said it should be there. I finally gave up and went to a book store to buy it.  
‘They had several copies and the one I pulled out had a sticker on the cover that said, “Autographed Copy.”  I checked the others, but there was only one.F0EAE32F-9826-47E9-8F86-33823945663C.jpeg

8EFB845B-5B5D-44B1-ADA2-A920844F3F77.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

I have already given my sons the following things:-

- Large family bible from the 1800s with metal clasps. Quite a beautiful thing really!

- My Grandfather's, my Dad's and my medals covering WW1, WW2 and beyond! 

- An old pendulum clock that I bought in an antique shop in Hannover in 1985 for an extortionate amount of money!

I have only kept 2 things:-

- The Leeds scarf from the early 70s mentioned in a different thread that my Mum had kept in her bottom drawer.

- A horses head from a walking stick that my eldest son bought from an antique shop more than 15 years ago. No, not a real horses head, but one used as a handle. Nobody knows what it is made of but guesses have been walnut or plastic! The stick itself has long gone but I have fixed it to a sawn off bit of bamboo that was once used to pull off mangos from trees on my farm years ago. Nowadays I just use it to stroll around outside the house.

• Like 2

I really need to get rid of a lot of stuff, my biggest and most valuable bit of collectable stuff is the 49 year old car sat in storage, a rare beast and not on any register so if and when it does come up for sale, there will be a few surprised "experts".

@CalEdenthat's a very impressive collection of stuff there my friend, especially the WW2 gear. It's going up in value these days, but the market is becoming more limited. Enough stuff there to keep you busy cleaning and keeping in good working order.

21 hours ago, Butch said:

@CalEdenthat's a very impressive collection of stuff there my friend, especially the WW2 gear. It's going up in value these days, but the market is becoming more limited. Enough stuff there to keep you busy cleaning and keeping in good working order.

Thank you Butch, most of the collection are my Dad's War Trophies. I have a small canvas Army issued suitcase full of mainly German issued medals and uniform decorations he collected also. He was in the 8th Infantry Division (antitank unit) during WWII. 

My father's neighborhood friend was Don Malarkey of Band of Brothers fame. When I was young, I met Don Malarkey a couple of times. Like most of that generation that experienced the War there was no talk of the War.

Don Malarkey Band of Brothers: 

In my collection photos on top of the rolltop desk the triangular frame with US flag contains my Dad's military dog tags, Army Photo and Army ID.

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1