Evil Penevil

Eatigo Discounts in Pattaya

Eatigo is a restaurant reservation app that gives users discounts up to 50%,depending on the time of dining.  Eatigo doesn't require pre-payment or credit card information; all you need to sign up is a valid email address and a smart phone.

It's easy to use once installed. Just select the restaurant, time you want to eat (30-minute slots); and the number of people who will be dining.  Click  the tab and you get an immediate confirmation code that you show to the restaurant staff when you arrive. That's all there is to it.

There's no real downside or disadvantage for the user with Eatigo.  Its shortcoming is the lack of relevance at present for many potential users. Pattaya has well over 1,000 restaurant but only 48 are listed on Eatigo. That's less than 5% of the total and not all the Eatigo restaurants are in central Pattaya. Some are a considerable distance, as far as 35 kilometers. Moreover, nearly two thirds of them (30 restaurants) are attached to three- to five-star hotels.  

If we exclude the hotel and far-away restaurants, we're left with the following options:

Six Indian restaurants in central Pattaya (Karma, Crown of India, Shalimar; Alibaba; Nisha and Suruchi), as well as the Robin Hood Tavern; The Kitchen (two restaurants); Retox Game On; Domino's Pizza on Pattaya Tai; Dicey Reilly's; La Strada; Kasalong; Easy Health; and Pizza Plaza in central Pattaya; Livv on the Darkside and the 8 Horseshoes Tavern in Jomtien. Some of the independent restaurants are specialized and wouldn't be of much interest in terms of everyday dining.

Then there's the timing of the discounts.  Only off-peak times yield a 50% discount, while the most popular times will give you 10% or 20% off, depending on the restaurant's location. Certainly 10% off is better than a kick in the nuts, but it won't make the big hotel buffets affordable to many punters.

Also, the Eatigo discount applies ONLY to food, NOT beverages.  That won't matter at restaurants like Retox Game On, Robin Hood and The Kitchen, but the hotel restaurants can charge 140 baht for a bottle of water- and that's their cheapest option. Any specials or promotions on food are excluded from the Eatigo discount.  It only applies to regular menu prices.  Finally, it is ++ pricing in many Eatigo-listed restaurants.  Service and VAT are added, which usually increases the cost by about 17%.  

Bottom line:  Eatigo is still a good deal, but of limited use to most visitors and foreign residents in Pattaya.  In its current form, it won't revolutionize Sin City dining.

Eatigo lists about 650 restaurants in Bangkok, but you have to install a separate app.  Nineteen restaurants in Chiang Mai are included on the Pattaya app.  Eatigo also lists restaurants in Singapore, Hong Kong, India, the Philippines and Malaysia, but separate apps are needed.

Evil

Edited by Evil Penevil
  • Great Info 2

Used it this last trip in the Baraquda SEA restaurant. 50% off for an 8pm booking. Now I find that a very civilised time to dine but apparently it is off peak? Spent the previous two hours drinking half price in the Hilton Horizon Bar. By the time I'd finished my inner Cheap Charlie was at Zen with himself.

Forgot to look when I went to The Kitchen and on checking I could have saved 240 baht. The Zen is now shattered.

• Like 1

On 10/4/2018 at 1:51 PM, misteregg said:

How many restaurants want to offer 50% off. No wonder it has few listings.

If your food ingredients cost is say 30% of the menu price, and there is no additional variable cost for premises or staff, then to receive 50% of menu price for mid-afternoon tables that would otherwise be empty seems good for the restaurant.  I'd say the reason many Pattaya restaurants are not getting involved is because they aren't run properly.

If your food ingredients cost is say 30% of the menu price, and there is no additional variable cost for premises or staff, then to receive 50% of menu price for mid-afternoon tables that would otherwise be empty seems good for the restaurant.  I'd say the reason many Pattaya restaurants are not getting involved is because they aren't run properly.

Can assure you that most Restaurants are running at a loss. I have many friends who run them.
I would say those restaurants that are run badly are those who don’t charge a sensible price so an operator can cover his costs and make a profit.
  • Like 1

I’ve used the Eatigo app both here in Pattaya and in Bangkok. There are far more options in Bangkok. But even here in Pattaya I’ve saved some money. So far I’ve done the S.E.A Restaurant and was very pleased with the quality of the steak I had, as well as the final cost of the meal. I’ve been meaning to try the Kitchen since it’s so close to where I’m located, but I hear very mixed reports about the food there.

In Bangkok I went to a few high end hotel buffets, and was happy to be paying only 50% of what others were paying. An Indian restaurant, Indian Tadka was very good. The best Indian I’ve had here in Thailand so far. If anyone knows of any better places please let me know.

I’m retired, so have no problem with scheduling a meal for a 50% discount. 

On 10/4/2018 at 7:01 PM, Thinkingallowed said:

Used it this last trip in the Baraquda SEA restaurant. 50% off for an 8pm booking. Now I find that a very civilised time to dine but apparently it is off peak? Spent the previous two hours drinking half price in the Hilton Horizon Bar. By the time I'd finished my inner Cheap Charlie was at Zen with himself.

Forgot to look when I went to The Kitchen and on checking I could have saved 240 baht. The Zen is now shattered.

I’m glad you checked out SEA. How was the food at the Kitchen? 

4 hours ago, drifter said:

I’m glad you checked out SEA. How was the food at the Kitchen? 

I enjoyed my meal very much. 

That said some people would have been unhappy with the same thing. I asked for the duck to be served pink and by God it was. The mashed potato was creamed rather than mashed and was not a huge portion which some wouldn't like but in the heat of Thailand I thought perfect. Small amount of sauce served on the side which I, and I know Evil would have, appreciated. If you like your meat swimming in sauce you wouldn't. Ratatouille was lovely and the salad nice too, very simple but there was a lot of other flavours going on.

The only thing I could complain about was the crème brûlée which was served in too shallow a dish and was too much brûlée and not enough crème per spoonful.

• Like 1

On 10/8/2018 at 4:57 PM, misteregg said:

Can assure you that most Restaurants are running at a loss. I have many friends who run them.
I would say those restaurants that are run badly are those who don’t charge a sensible price so an operator can cover his costs and make a profit.

From what I know, I'd agree that many restaurants in P run at a loss.  There are just too many of them, forced to charge too low prices to make a profit.  They seem only to sell food in order to sell high-margin drinks.

I agree that restaurants that don't charge sensible prices are badly run.

However, I still think it's good business, if your ingredients only cost 30-40% of menu price,  you're paying no more in rent or staff costs to remain open mid-afternoon (ie those are sunk costs), not much electricity, and there would be no timeshifting of customers that would normally come in the evening choosing to come for cheap meals mid-afternoon, to sell mid-afternoon at 50% of menu price.  The proof that that's a professional way to run a business is that it tends to be the big hotels that feature on Eatigo, and places in Bangkok, not the small Pattaya places that haven't thought it through and are run like amateurs.

Indian Tadka in Bangkok at 6pm -50% sounds good.  Thanks for the idea.  If you like Indian food at lunchtime think about http://www.novotelbangkokploenchit.com/offers/indian-curry-lunch/ (not Eatigo) which I've been to three or four times and can recommend.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Zeus said:

From what I know, I'd agree that many restaurants in P run at a loss.  There are just too many of them, forced to charge too low prices to make a profit.  They seem only to sell food in order to sell high-margin drinks.

I agree that restaurants that don't charge sensible prices are badly run.

However, I still think it's good business, if your ingredients only cost 30-40% of menu price,  you're paying no more in rent or staff costs to remain open mid-afternoon (ie those are sunk costs), not much electricity, and there would be no timeshifting of customers that would normally come in the evening choosing to come for cheap meals mid-afternoon, to sell mid-afternoon at 50% of menu price.  The proof that that's a professional way to run a business is that it tends to be the big hotels that feature on Eatigo, and places in Bangkok, not the small Pattaya places that haven't thought it through and are run like amateurs.

Indian Tadka in Bangkok at 6pm -50% sounds good.  Thanks for the idea.  If you like Indian food at lunchtime think about http://www.novotelbangkokploenchit.com/offers/indian-curry-lunch/ (not Eatigo) which I've been to three or four times and can recommend.

Say, tell you what, if you're a plumber and you are quiet in the afternoons then how about you charge half price for the work you do during that time. Lets say the plumbing job has costs at 40%. The rest is labour. Would anyone do that? No. So why should restaurants?

I use tastecard In London. 

It's either 50% off or 2 for 1, but only on select times, obviously when less busy. 

3 hours ago, misteregg said:

Say, tell you what, if you're a plumber and you are quiet in the afternoons then how about you charge half price for the work you do during that time. Lets say the plumbing job has costs at 40%. The rest is labour. Would anyone do that? No. So why should restaurants?

If I were the owner of a plumbing business, and I paid my jobbing plumbers wages for the full day, but they were almost always not fully utilised in mid-afternoons, I'd be thinking that I'm paying these guys all afternoon but they rarely work mid-afternoon.  I'm getting zero revenue in mid-afternoons, but I'm paying wages.  What I want is a way to get those plumbers out on afternoon jobs, even if I can't charge my full rates.  I'd sit down and work out what the extra variable costs are which are incurred when doing a mid-afternoon job that aren't incurred if the plumbers are doing nothing.  I'd want a way of identifying customers to offer lower afternoon rates to, who would be extra new customers, not regular evening ones who would timeshift from evening to afternoon.

So, if plumbing jobs have variable costs (piping, bits of hardware) of 40%, and fixed labour costs of 60%, and if I'm going to be paying my plumbers their full daily wages even if they aren't actually doing anything mid-afternoon, and if I can find new customers, not existing evening ones shifting to afternoon, then yes, I'd reckon offering new customers afternoon pricing of 50-60% of normal rates would be good business.  Students are the classic segment of the market to offer cheap off-peak pricing to, because they are new, easily separately identifiable, they are so poor they aren't going to be evening customers so they wouldn't cannibalise evening business, but they may grow into being full-price customers later.

The crucial details are:

- pricing is more than the variable costs of doing that plumbing, so there is a small contribution to fixed costs or profit

- afternoon customers are new ones, not cannibalising evening sales

Think half-price off peak student railcards, or theatre tickets sold half price lastminute to holders of student IDs.  It's the same principle. 

The analogy to Pattaya bars would be for a bar owner to advertise that if a customer can prove it really is his first visit to Pattaya and that it really will be his first visit to your bar, he will be offered a half price short time barfine at 3pm (girl must return by 5pm).  Would you say that would be good business for Le Pub?  Wouldn't it be good to be able to tempt genuinely new visitors with what your bar has to offer, at a price that works both for you and him, at a time when your girls are not fully busy?

Edited by Zeus
  • Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, Zeus said:

If I were the owner of a plumbing business, and I paid my jobbing plumbers wages for the full day, but they were almost always not fully utilised in mid-afternoons, I'd be thinking that I'm paying these guys all afternoon but they rarely work mid-afternoon.  I'm getting zero revenue in mid-afternoons, but I'm paying wages.  What I want is a way to get those plumbers out on afternoon jobs, even if I can't charge my full rates.  I'd sit down and work out what the extra variable costs are which are incurred when doing a mid-afternoon job that aren't incurred if the plumbers are doing nothing.  I'd want a way of identifying customers to offer lower afternoon rates to, who would be extra new customers, not regular evening ones who would timeshift from evening to afternoon.

So, if plumbing jobs have variable costs (piping, bits of hardware) of 40%, and fixed labour costs of 60%, and if I'm going to be paying my plumbers their full daily wages even if they aren't actually doing anything mid-afternoon, and if I can find new customers, not existing evening ones shifting to afternoon, then yes, I'd reckon offering new customers afternoon pricing of 50-60% of normal rates would be good business.  Students are the classic segment of the market to offer cheap off-peak pricing to, because they are new, easily separately identifiable, they are so poor they aren't going to be evening customers so they wouldn't cannibalise evening business, but they may grow into being full-price customers later.

The crucial details are:

- pricing is more than the variable costs of doing that plumbing, so there is a small contribution to fixed costs or profit

Think half-price off peak student railcards, or theatre tickets sold half price lastminute to holders of student IDs.  It's the same principle. 

The analogy to Pattaya bars would be for a bar owner to advertise that if a customer can prove it really is his first visit to Pattaya and that it really will be his first visit to your bar, he will be offered a half price short time barfine at 3pm (girl must return by 5pm).  Would you say that would be good business for Le Pub?  Wouldn't it be good to be able to tempt genuinely new visitors with what your bar has to offer, at a price that works both for you and him, at a time when your girls are not fully busy?

In Pattaya customers have zero loyalty. They would just take the cheap meal/drink/barfine and be laughing at all the others who actually pay the proper price. That I'm afraid is the reality about doing business in this town.

That's why I don't discount by 50% and never would. I will however buy regular customers and good spending customers a drink every now and then to say thanks. My prices are pretty low anyway.

8 minutes ago, misteregg said:

In Pattaya customers have zero loyalty. They would just take the cheap meal/drink/barfine and be laughing at all the others who actually pay the proper price. That I'm afraid is the reality about doing business in this town.

A few years back I was approached with an opportunity to be a sales rep for that fancy beer company that opened up in town.  Before making a decision whether to try it, I chatted with a few bar owners I knew.  One of them summed it up best:

"You're better off figuring out how to get me San Mig 15 baht cheaper than I'm buying it now.  You'll be rich overnight."

• Like 1

Just now, misteregg said:

That's why I don't discount by 50% and never would. I will however buy regular customers and good spending customers a drink every now and then to say thanks. My prices are pretty low anyway.

Why am I going to pay an awful lot more for the same food in the evening? I'm just not.

Do this limited lunchtimes with a restricted menu and you might tempt me back to spend real money. Give me everything you have at 50% off and I'm going to keep coming back at those prices.

21 minutes ago, Thinkingallowed said:

Why am I going to pay an awful lot more for the same food in the evening? I'm just not.

Do this limited lunchtimes with a restricted menu and you might tempt me back to spend real money. Give me everything you have at 50% off and I'm going to keep coming back at those prices.

which kinda proves m point. If they can make money with a limited menu at 50% prices then why only offer it on an app. Just offer it to everyone. 

25 minutes ago, Rompho Ray said:

A few years back I was approached with an opportunity to be a sales rep for that fancy beer company that opened up in town.  Before making a decision whether to try it, I chatted with a few bar owners I knew.  One of them summed it up best:

"You're better off figuring out how to get me San Mig 15 baht cheaper than I'm buying it now.  You'll be rich overnight."

very true that man. By the way, my beer supplier just offered me new prices for established customers, works out at about 1 baht a bottle cheaper. Happy days!

6 hours ago, misteregg said:

which kinda proves m point. If they can make money with a limited menu at 50% prices then why only offer it on an app. Just offer it to everyone. 

Mr Egg, just an example :

When I lived in HKG i used to fly to BKK every month for 3 days to see my kids. First tried the cheap way (Air Asia) but its shite. Then I found Emirates had a flight at 10 pm which allowed me to fly on Friday evening after work and be in BKK at midnight.  Booked Eco 2 or 3 times, and one day they upgraded me to Business.  Guess what ? From that day on I flew only Business with them, as I considered the price difference (400 HKD vs 200 HKD) was worth it. 

So, good move on their side to "promote" me to Buss, as they won a Buss customer for 7 years.

Now I fully agree with you that the average Pattaya visitors is only looking at the price.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Thai Spice said:

Mr Egg, just an example :

When I lived in HKG i used to fly to BKK every month for 3 days to see my kids. First tried the cheap way (Air Asia) but its shite. Then I found Emirates had a flight at 10 pm which allowed me to fly on Friday evening after work and be in BKK at midnight.  Booked Eco 2 or 3 times, and one day they upgraded me to Business.  Guess what ? From that day on I flew only Business with them, as I considered the price difference (400 HKD vs 200 HKD) was worth it. 

So, good move on their side to "promote" me to Buss, as they won a Buss customer for 7 years.

Now I fully agree with you that the average Pattaya visitors is only looking at the price.

Glad to see your still around.....

• Like 1

What follows is a detailed breakdown of the savings possible with Eatigo.

About two weeks ago, I had dinner with a farang friend and his TG at the SEA Restaurant in the Baraquda Hotel. The SEA wouldn't have been the first choice for any of us, but they were staying at the Baraquda and didn't want to go out because a heavy rainstorm had been forecast for the evening.  I live close to the Baraquda and figured I could stay dry with an umbrella on the short walk.  On the Eatigo app, I made a reservation for three at SEA for 8.00 p.m. (50% discount at that hour).

We saved 920 baht by taking advantage of the Eatigo 50% discount.  Our meals (starter, main and beverage) cost 1599 baht in total, but without the discount,  would have cost 2,519 baht.  The 60-baht  "bonus"  between the two prices came from the 7% VAT calculation with and without the Eatigo discount (860 baht).

IMG_0006.jpg.f1b3fdcb8304822c493a439e98094f99.jpg

All the prices that follow are with the Eatigo discount, but without 10% service and 7% VAT.

My friend had the Greek salad (120 baht) ...

IMG_0098.jpg.18a925b503114e93109096f89048b522.jpg

and baked "white snapper" (170 baht):

IMG_0111.jpg.85de13112026d387a680170465e96ec2.jpg

His girlfriend had spring rolls (120 baht):

Untitled-1.jpg.9d87a6b6ce61d4746a38e0666d92afaa.jpg

and som tam with crab (90 baht):

IMG_0103.jpg.bda63b9a3e88d840caa65e5de82bc0df.jpg

IMG_0105.jpg.cd1d22027e1e2296d6d37ac95931d713.jpg

I had the pumpkin-and-ginger soup (really good!) for 120 baht:

IMG_0100.jpg.961f77cc796499e28d3f021469b731ad.jpg

... and the grilled duck breast (240 baht):

IMG_0106.jpg.61573e8a4950ef776c302176dd9e0946.jpg

IMG_0109.jpg.f1878fb8e11820a963c0ea6f4152da0d.jpg

All of us were happy with the food we had ordered.  One thing the pics don't show is the basket of warm fresh bread and butter than preceded the starters. That's always a nice touch.  We felt our meals with the discount were fairly priced for what we got. We were less happy with the beverage prices:  140 baht for a bottle of SML and the same (!) for the GF's orange juice.  Beverages, whether alcoholic or non-alcoholic, don't fall under the Eatigo discount.  

If I break out my meal, I saved about 425 baht by using Eatigo.  My friend saved 495 baht on the two meals for which he paid (they had less expensive mains than I did). Since there is no cost or hassle involved with Eatigo, I think it was a decent advantage to have used Eatigo under the circumstances.

Evil

• Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

12 minutes ago, Evil Penevil said:

His girlfriend had spring rolls (120 baht):

Untitled-1.jpg.9d87a6b6ce61d4746a38e0666d92afaa.jpg

You get a decent amount of those spring rolls, and very pleasant they are too.

• Thumbs Up 1

I took a buddy from the US here. We both got the steak. And each 680 baht meal was discounted to 340. The steak was the same great tenderloin I’d had before. But we made the mistake of ordering wine. Worse, we got a Pinot Noir which probably isn’t the fastest moving wine there. It cost 280 a glass, and was’t worth 5 baht. On inquiry, they brought the bottle out, and the date it had been opened was over 3 weeks earlier. Next time I’ll either go without wine, or get a bottle, 1,200-1,400 a bottle. Or bring a bottle, probably the safest thing to do. They have a 600 baht corkage fee which I thought was a bit high, but better than drinking vinegar.

Edited by drifter

On 10/11/2018 at 4:18 PM, misteregg said:

Loyalty isn't all there is to it.  You might believe that you have a good bar/product, but somehow guys didn't know about you or needed to be tempted in for the first time, after which the underlying quality of your product would keep them returning.  If you can just get them in once, you reckon they'll become regulars.  I think you should look to offer new customers an additional temptation more than existing customers, just to get them in to start a relationship once they've experienced what you have to offer.  A mobile phone company would talk about the "cost of acquisition" of a new customer - in effect that's what the Eatigo discount could be seen as.

On 10/11/2018 at 4:30 PM, Thinkingallowed said:

If you would easily switch between evening and mid-afternoon service, you're not the target customer of Eatigo discounts.  The point of discounting mid-afternoon is to attract new non-cannibalising customers, who hopefully will become evening regulars.  Existing customers can't have student discounts - for them you have to show you really are a student, and therefore (a) poor, so not existing customers, but with future prospects (b) young and willing to be tempted into new habits.

The key point about off-peak discounts, as I wrote earlier

On 10/10/2018 at 4:47 PM, Zeus said:

The crucial details are:

is that they are targeted at new non-cannibalising customers.  Of course there'll be some wastage, but it's a failure if any existing evening customer switches to mid-afternoon.  Misteregg's customers who just take the cheap drink/barfine and laugh at the full payers are existing customers cannibalising current sales, so to allow them into a off-peak discount is a fail, bad targeting.  Eatigo only works, of course, if there are more successful new customers acquired than there are existing customers switching to mid-afternoon.  If it's true the customer base in Pattaya is so static that there are relatively few new customers gained through off-peak discounts, then maybe that's why Eatigo hasn't made much progress in Pattaya.

Edited by Zeus
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Zeus said:

Loyalty isn't all there is to it.  You might believe that you have a good bar/product, but somehow guys didn't know about you or needed to be tempted in for the first time, after which the underlying quality of your product would keep them returning.  If you can just get them in once, you reckon they'll become regulars.  I think you should look to offer new customers an additional temptation more than existing customers, just to get them in to start a relationship once they've experienced what you have to offer.  A mobile phone company would talk about the "cost of acquisition" of a new customer - in effect that's what the Eatigo discount could be seen as.

If you would easily switch between evening and mid-afternoon service, you're not the target customer of Eatigo discounts.  The point of discounting mid-afternoon is to attract new non-cannibalising customers, who hopefully will become evening regulars.  Existing customers can't have student discounts - for them you have to show you really are a student, and therefore (a) poor, so not existing customers, but with future prospects (b) young and willing to be tempted into new habits.

The key point about off-peak discounts, as I wrote earlier

is that they are targeted at new non-cannibalising customers.  Of course there'll be some wastage, but it's a failure if any existing evening customer switches to mid-afternoon.  Misteregg's customers who just take the cheap drink/barfine and laugh at the full payers are existing customers cannibalising current sales, so to allow them into a off-peak discount is a fail, bad targeting.  Eatigo only works, of course, if there are more successful new customers acquired than there are existing customers switching to mid-afternoon.  If it's true the customer base in Pattaya is so static that there are relatively few new customers gained through off-peak discounts, then maybe that's why Eatigo hasn't made much progress in Pattaya.

Drifter, people who come to the bar for the first time because of a price discount hardly ever become regulars. Thats just brutal facts about this town. I try to offer good value and service to everyone, rather than get full paying customers subsidize freeloaders with zero loyalty. 

I have a friend called Peter who lives in BKK but comes to Pattaya every now and then for some RnR. He told me about this app about a year ago. He said he uses it to eat cheaply with 50% discount. I asked him if he ever returns to the restaurant and pay full price and he just laughed and said never. That's Pattaya. 

Edited by misteregg