Internet providers in Thailand

blueEdx0218

Hello,

I've been having quite a long term internet issues with the internet provide my family has been using (AIS). My family is now mostly doing work online and I doing college online since the start of the pandemic. So, my family has started in looking for other internet providers to change to and are thinking about switching to TRUE, DTEC, or 3BB. But, before switching, I would like to know some suggestions and opinions on the different internet providers. For some info, my family mainly lives in the Bang Rak district and have only been using pocket WiFis and personal hotspot on our phones as our WiFi. The reason why we're only using pocket WiFis and personal hotspot because we move places a lot. 

Thank you!

If you just want personal hotspots, my wife got a one year 10MB unlimited data DTAC SIM to use as her second SIM.  That's fast enough that when we visit our upcountry house we use it for a couple TVs, all our computers, phones, tablets, etc.  At our main house we have TOT fiber.

She got it on Lazada for under 1,400Baht.

WTTB @blueEdx0218

For a wired connection I highly recommend True. Customer service has been great the few times I've had to call them due to connection issues. Latest was due to the connection slowing down over the last couple of days and they had the problem resolved within four hours. I was also impressed with the English skills of the customer service rep.

For mobile data I've been using AIS 4G for years with no problems. Package cost is 99B/week for 2GB. I'm about to switch to True though based on a friend's recommendation. It's a one year plan for 1,340B that gives you 70GB/month. Bought the Sim on Lazada (link), now I just need to get around to activating it.

Side question for those in the know. To activate the Sim do I have to go to a True store and have them do it, or can I can do it myself?

6 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

Side question for those in the know. To activate the Sim do I have to go to a True store and have them do it, or can I can do it myself?

Good question did lazada ask for your PP details as that is supposed to be needed now when getting a new Sim. If not maybe you would need to visit True to activate and show them your details..................or not please post what happens.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Yesitisdakid said:

Good question did lazada ask for your PP details as that is supposed to be needed now when getting a new Sim. If not maybe you would need to visit True to activate and show them your details..................or not please post what happens.

No PP asked for when I bought the Sim, that's why I expect I'll need to go to a True store to activate. I'll try to get to a store today or tomorrow and will post my experience.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Yesitisdakid said:

Went to the True store at Big C Extra this morning. Easy peasy to activate the card. They took a picture of my passport, and then one of me to verify I matched the passport. Activated and installed the Sim for me. In and out in less than 10 minutes.

True is faster on download speed compared to AIS, but slower on upload. The lower upload speed is more than adequate for my needs, so happy with the new card. Screenshots below are of the speed tests I ran with my laptop tethered to my phone using a USB connection between the two.

One oddity I noticed was making a call on Sim 1 (AIS) while using Sim 2 (True) for data, the data connection broke. That didn't happen before when I was using AIS for both voice and data. Not a show stopper for me as when I ended the call the data connection automatically restored.

I was thinking of using True for both voice and data and dumping AIS, assuming I can port my old number over to True. Not sure though how it will work when the one year is up on the new Sim. Key question will be how expensive it will be to continue the plan for another year, or if I'll need to buy another Sim to get a better deal. Anyone have experience with this?

True.JPG

AIS.JPG

• Thumbs Up 1

42 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

Went to the True store at Big C Extra this morning. Easy peasy to activate the card. They took a picture of my passport, and then one of me to verify I matched the passport. Activated and installed the Sim for me. In and out in less than 10 minutes.

True is faster on download speed compared to AIS, but slower on upload. The lower upload speed is more than adequate for my needs, so happy with the new card. Screenshots below are of the speed tests I ran with my laptop tethered to my phone using a USB connection between the two.

One oddity I noticed was making a call on Sim 1 (AIS) while using Sim 2 (True) for data, the data connection broke. That didn't happen before when I was using AIS for both voice and data. Not a show stopper for me as when I ended the call the data connection automatically restored.

I was thinking of using True for both voice and data and dumping AIS, assuming I can port my old number over to True. Not sure though how it will work when the one year is up on the new Sim. Key question will be how expensive it will be to continue the plan for another year, or if I'll need to buy another Sim to get a better deal. Anyone have experience with this?

True.JPG

AIS.JPG

Screenshot 2021-12-27 at 12.23.24.png

Mine with AIS.

19 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

True.JPG

AIS.JPG

Thanks for the update Sir

• Like 1