Quarantine in Thailand - Anybody done it ?

Pumpuynarak

As the topic title says has anyone done quarantine in Thailand ? Have you any useful tips on what to expect that you can preplan for ?

One issue i believe i will need to overcome is ''no alcohol'', i have seen from the hotel info that they will not deliver alcohol to your prison cell but a mate has told me he brought a bottle of spirit in his suitcase and was able to order coke. Another issue he mentioned was tea bags as he can't abide Liptons tea.

Any info you have guys will be appreciated. 

• Surprised 1

Pretty sure @john lukehas done it twice, once for 1 week and once for 2 weeks.

A nice balcony will make a big difference,  especially if you can't smoke in your room.

Edit - @lazarusbeat me to it.

Could make a few suggestions for viewing YouTube etc using a chrome cast device,  but as you are not tech savvy,  a good book may be a better option. 

Also, don't leave evidence that you have alcohol,  or they may confiscate it. 

Edited by boydeste
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 2

Boydeste made an excellent point about trying to find a room that has a decent room with a view. I have found that can really make a huge difference. Although I was never "quarantined" I felt like I was during the first few weeks of lockdown when I was in Pattaya.

During that time I became more familiar with SMART T.V.'s, It is how I learned how to use Youtube and became hooked. It was a real life saver. Having a good SMART T.V. could be something you really enjoy. I would recommend opening a Youtuge account during that time (if you don't have one), it will cut out all of the ads and you can cancel later if you don't want it. I find it to be good value. I know tech stuff can be a real pain in the ass to learn.... but you'll have some extra time to f**k with it. Once you pick up on it it becomes easier. Example - using the remote for the computer input menu can be a bit tricky. It can piss you the f**k off, but if you hang with it soon it will become much easier. 

I would pay extra for the best hotel you can find. If you have time check out before hand it they have these things.... Call the hotel and ask specifically it they have what you would like. Get specific and give them specific reasons if need be (like you are clausterphobic or something and need a good view). Check out Google maps to see where the place is located or even better go to a place you have gone before and know well.

Remember - when you are staying in a hotel they are responsible for your accomodation and should be able to provide with reasonable request. Especially since you are confined as you are. A friendly yet firm attitude and a little baht (tip) can also go a long way when you need something. Have some smaller bills for tipping and such.

Edited by Glasseye
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

John Luke and Esco both have done it  ............... and I did it too.!!!! Hmmm ??

OK only for about 9 hours while waiting for my Test and Go results. Still quarantine and food was great btw....

Booze just bring your own in your checked in bags nobody cares much.

7 days be boring but time soon passes and books and decent internet soon be back with the lovely Mrs.

Spent yesterday in Korat mate and was blooming hot. Bar streets mostly closed too ...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My wife did 2 days in a quarantine hospital after failing the temperature check at the airport before being taken to her hotel in Jomtien to finish the 14 days. She coped but WiFi is a must to keep in touch with the outside world. Her room was big but she didn't have a balcony but a good view of the sea through her window.

If you have any favourite foods, take them. Might just be packet noodles, tea bags or chocolate but otherwise you are left to the  choice of the hotel chef and not all menus get a thumbs up.

Reading material, tablets with games, it all helps.

• Thanks 1

Booze

I can only offer a view on our experience on the 1 night when we landed on 10th December. 

we arrived at 4pm, tested then sent to room. Food delivered - had a knock on the door at approx 7pm with a staff member with a trolley full of booze for sale- not sure if this was legit or off the staffs own initiative ?

prwty sure it being thailand that anything g is possible so I’d imagine booze could be obtained - this I my opinion 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 3

Did a couple of weeks back in November 2020 and another 2 in June/July this year.

Learned a lot from my first experience - the days revolve around food, I spent another 10k baht for a hotel with better food on my second trip and it was worth every single satang. Also brought a load of cold cuts, cheeseboard, biccies, crisps, chocolate and treats with me. I am a coffee snob so took my own supplies, French press and enough fresh milk to get started.

Second trip I wasn't allowed to leave the room so I hired an exercise bike which was well worth it. Brought a devilishly difficult 1000 piece Jigsaw, first time I have ever completed one! Never travel without my Firestick for Netflix etc iPad and of course my phone. I brought an extension lead both times.

Booze?? I brought a bottle of wine and a couple of minatures but I am not much of a drinker. 

Good luck mush 👍😊

• Thanks 1
  • Great Info 2

18 hours ago, nampla69 said:

Spent yesterday in Korat mate and was blooming hot. Bar streets mostly closed too ...

Wifey's up in the village with her family, her brother who she has not seen for 2 years is also there so its party time :default_party-smiley-048:and i can't wait to get back to the hot weather.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, nampla69 said:

John Luke and Esco both have done it  ............... and I did it too.!!!! Hmmm ??

OK only for about 9 hours while waiting for my Test and Go results. Still quarantine and food was great btw....

Booze just bring your own in your checked in bags nobody cares much.

7 days be boring but time soon passes and books and decent internet soon be back with the lovely Mrs.

How long in Korat I am there soon for a few nights to see a X babydolls girl that needs financial help

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, Pumpuynarak said:

So what about things like milk for tea, sauces for meals etc ? Will they buy cigs and any other items i want from 7/11 ?

Perhaps i should phone the hotel ? 

Most hotels will get you stuff from the 7, but now you have everything booked, it will be as it will be. 

As previously stated, any essential stuff  take with you in checked luggage. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Yesitisdakid said:

How long in Korat I am there soon for a few nights to see a X babydolls girl that needs financial help

I'm there or thereabouts for the next 4 days or so ...... probably be in city itself the 2nd.

New Year at the restaurant 60kms away.

Good luck with the Babydolls ex ..is it one of the ones with the Star of David tattoos above their ass ??? 

7 hours ago, boydeste said:

Most hotels will get you stuff from the 7, but now you have everything booked, it will be as it will be. 

As previously stated, any essential stuff  take with you in checked luggage. 

Also grab and the others will deliver from Family Mart, etc. 

Heck... I have had Grab drivers pick up just about anything even if not on the list and pay them separately (with tip of course). 

I don't know what the hotels policies are.