Quarantine in Thailand - Anybody done it ?

Pumpuynarak

From me a few points which some will agree with and some will not.

1. Hotel quarantine is not prison; it is not a cell; it is a hotel room where you have to stay for a week at present.  You have a multi Chanel TV and can take computers, iPads and mobile phones etc.  Yes. it can get boring after a while but reference to prison cells and similar I do not think are helpful and probably put one in the wrong mindset.
  2. As far as food and snacks are concerned, my reasoning was that whilst in quarantine one is likely to perform less physical activities; in simple terms do less.  You have plenty of time on your hands and if there are snacks and food around you are likely to want to eat it.  My advice is do not take a load of snacks into quarantine or if you do, keep them locked in your suitcase.  If you eat more, particularly sweats and snacks you will emerge several kg in weight more than when you entered.
  3. No one checks your luggage for alcohol; I had a bottle of Prosecco which I left quarantine with it still in my case.
  4. As far as food is concerned, I do not think that the Thai's are as keen on food being piping hot as westerners.  If there is a microwave in the room, a spot of reheating suitable foods does make them taste better.  Being aware that you may have to microwave food to heat it up a little should be taken into account when ordering food on the daily menu.  Food looks better if you take it out of the plastic boxes and packages and put it on plates and dishes - again act in think positively.
  5. I had a laptop, iPad and phones; there was a tv in the room along with an android box so no lack of choice for entertainment.  If you have a laptop it is worth having an HDMI cable to link it to the TV.
  6. Finally think positive.  When you arrive you have a week to go.  After mid day on day four you are over half way there,  then it is down to only three days, only two days and then one.  Always be positive.  

I hope this assists or at least provides food for thought, if you will pardon the pun.

• Like 1
  • Great Info 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

7 hours ago, john luke said:
  1. Hotel quarantine is not prison; it is not a cell; it is a hotel room where you have to stay for a week at present.  You have a multi Chanel TV and can take computers, iPads and mobile phones etc.  Yes. it can get boring after a while but reference to prison cells and similar I do not think are helpful and probably put one in the wrong mindset.

A room you are not allowed to leave is a prison cell. It doesn't matter what amenities and luxuries are present, the plain and simple fact that you can't decide to step out makes it one.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Freee!! said:

A room you are not allowed to leave is a prison cell. It doesn't matter what amenities and luxuries are present, the plain and simple fact that you can't decide to step out makes it one.

Bingo, i waited purposely to see if anyone else felt like i do regarding having my freedom taken away, i'll resist from saying anymore.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Freee!! said:

It's still a choice to quarantine  ... there are other options available 

• Thumbs Up 1

One or two posts above appear to miss my point, which is that equating a hotel room to a prison cell will not induce the correct mindset to make the quarantine period go as smoothly as possible.  Nothing more and nothing less.

Whether or not one choses ASQ in order to enter Thailand is a personal decision which everyone must take.  

I do suggest that if anyone gets themselves so wound up into believing they are in captivity the quarantine period will not go well as frustration levels rise.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Great to read ...... not that you were banged up for a week but that you are back in the warmth and blue skies. Even better united with your delightful Mrs.

See you soon up Korat way hopefully .... well done.

Now a few more points for the Saints and 2022 oh yes ....

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Well i did my 7 nights in the Silver Palm hotel and i have to say it was the most boring time of my life and one that i will never repeat but it was a means to an end, getting back home to wifey and our house had to be done and so be it.

My boredom wasn't helped by the room TV which despite having over 200 channels only had single figures English speaking channels covering news outlets and a couple of movie channels. My son did give me an old laptop he was no longer using so i could access Netflix/Youtube so i could at least feed my addiction lol

One big issue was the food supplied, it was generally very good but always cold and dinner had a habit of being delivered at 4pm WTF !!! The "cold food" issue was remedied by the delivery of a microwave after my complaint but they still tried to charge me 100bht per day for it but soon relented when they understood i wasn't having any of that ole rubbish lol.

So in conclusion i'm back and very happy to be, the blue sky and sun/heat is very welcome after experiencing the bitter cold of gloomy Southampton. Seeing family especially my two sons and friends was just brill after so long not too mention saying goodbye to my dear mum.

My Scoot direct flight back from LGW to Bangers was also a real positive, the aircraft was a new 787 Dreamliner and with less than 100 passengers we all had 3 seats to ourselves which meant i got some sleep for the very first time on a flight and at 271GBP including meal and sleep cushion/blanket that was a real bargain, probaly never to be repeated.

I would finally add that i believe a balcony is essential in your quarantine hotel room, just getting out in the open air did go someway to help with the feeling of imprisonment, it also helps the smokers amongst us lol 

2 hours ago, boydeste said:

Glad to see it was not horrendous and that the Scoot flight was decent. Passing a whole week in the confines of your home is bad enough,  let alone a hotel room.

2 hours ago, nampla69 said:

Great to read ...... not that you were banged up for a week but that you are back in the warmth and blue skies. Even better united with your delightful Mrs.

See you soon up Korat way hopefully .... well done.

Now a few more points for the Saints and 2022 oh yes ....

Big cheers to all of the above !!!            :default_animier:

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Hi all, I’m looking to return to Thailand this year and I’m willing to do the 7 days on Phuket. I can get a flight with Emirates via Dubai to Phuket but once I’ve  completed the quarantine and traveled to the mainland I don’t want to return to Phuket to fly home. My travel agent says that I have fly home from Phuket. Does anyone have any suggestions to get around this?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bertram Lambert said:

Hi all, I’m looking to return to Thailand this year and I’m willing to do the 7 days on Phuket. I can get a flight with Emirates via Dubai to Phuket but once I’ve  completed the quarantine and traveled to the mainland I don’t want to return to Phuket to fly home. My travel agent says that I have fly home from Phuket. Does anyone have any suggestions to get around this?

Book direct with the Airline , choose multi trip then put in your home airport  ie ( LHR - DUB -HTK then return BKK - DUB - LHR ) 

• Like 1
  • Great Info 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

49 minutes ago, Bertram Lambert said:

I flew into Phuket and fly home from Bkk, it shouldn't be a problem if you book directly with the airline. 

I really don't know why people use agents these days, any issues,  then it easier to deal with the airline, especially during recent covid times.

Edited by boydeste
  • Thumbs Up 6

2 hours ago, Bertram Lambert said:

As others already told you, book an open jaw, airlines have no problem selling those (nor good agents). 

6 hours ago, Bertram Lambert said:

Ditch the agent.     :default_biggrin:

6 hours ago, boydeste said:

I flew into Phuket and fly home from Bkk, it shouldn't be a problem if you book directly with the airline. 

I really don't know why people use agents these days, any issues,  then it easier to deal with the airline, especially during recent covid times.

Absolutely !