Funny Stuff

Glasseye

44 minutes ago, SteveBC said:

The gulf between American humour and British is wider than the Atlantic itself.....

I find 99% of American humour makes me want to throw the PC or TV out of the window, it's brain numbingly awful......

Even more-so if it has the OTT dubbed applause added too.

But i fully realise that people generally like what they are used to, or brought up with............

GG is not my favorite. But.... he is kind of unique and recently died. That recording qualtiy is awful, I admit.

I enjoy some Brit comedy. But honestly, sometimes I can't understand quickly enough what they are saying if they have a strong accent.

Edited by Glasseye

• Replies 733
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Glasseye said:

sometimes I can't understand quickly enough what they are saying if they have a strong accent.

Fully understand what your saying mate, even though i'm English i too find it hard to sometimes understand some of the regional accents.....But the majority of popular comedians thankfully speak an understandable version of the Queens English. 

17 minutes ago, SteveBC said:

Fully understand what your saying mate, even though i'm English i too find it hard to sometimes understand some of the regional accents.....But the majority of popular comedians thankfully speak an understandable version of the Queens English. 

I never seem to have a problem with accents when I am listening to English comedians as any comedian is doing his/her best to project to their audience - but I do have trouble with some of the regular dialogue in English movies and have to really strain to understand what they are saying sometimes, however I still prefer English programming to most American. As for humour, I am no prude but I've never enjoyed the really vulgar stuff which you hear in so much American humour - I'd never even heard of this Gottfried guy who just passed on but I only made it through about two minutes of his spiel on that Hefner roast. I can recall years ago watching a bit of an Eddy Murphy show on TV and it was just "motherf**er motherf**ker" over and over, with the mainly black audience rolling in the aisles with laughter but I just didn't get it myself...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, maipenrai said:

I never seem to have a problem with accents when I am listening to English comedians as any comedian is doing his/her best to project to their audience - but I do have trouble with some of the regular dialogue in English movies and have to really strain to understand what they are saying sometimes, however I still prefer English programming to most American. As for humour, I am no prude but I've never enjoyed the really vulgar stuff which you hear in so much American humour - I'd never even heard of this Gottfried guy who just passed on but I only made it through about two minutes of his spiel on that Hefner roast. I can recall years ago watching a bit of an Eddy Murphy show on TV and it was just "motherf**er motherf**ker" over and over, with the mainly black audience rolling in the aisles with laughter but I just didn't get it myself...

Different strokes for different folks. I never liked Eddie Murphy. Many comedians stuff get old real quick. 

Then a guy like George Carlin I can listen over and over. And, of course, I love this guy....

2 hours ago, Glasseye said:

Different strokes for different folks. I never liked Eddie Murphy. Many comedians stuff get old real quick. 

Then a guy like George Carlin I can listen over and over. And, of course, I love this guy....

Yes, I have to admit that Carlin was in a class of his own - absolutely brilliant; also Robin Williams was great in his standup routines - an incredible improviser. 

2 hours ago, maipenrai said:

Yes, I have to admit that Carlin was in a class of his own - absolutely brilliant; also Robin Williams was great in his standup routines - an incredible improviser. 

Yes.... I appreciated Williams, but wasn't a huge fan. Although I have to say he was brilliant and incredibly talented. His influence (as you may know) came from Jonathan Winters who was incredibly funny.

Edited by Glasseye

• 2 weeks later...

When I was in the Marines, I was stationed close enough to Hollywood to come to the Comedy Store quite a bit. One night, after already seeing a great lineup that included Louie Anderson and Sam Kinison, the emcee said it was closing time and they couldn’t sell drinks anymore but they had one more comedian that wanted to come out and do his act.  Robin Williams came out and did his thing, which was great. He did a full show. About a half hour or so in, he called Kinison up on stage and they tried a little improv together. It was awesome being able to see these two comedy greats on stage together, but their two styles didn’t mesh at all.  Of course, this was way before everyone carried a camera with them 24/7.

• Like 1

If any BM's have ever met @Nightcrawleryou will understand he is very similar to Peter Cook in the way he speaks and arguably just as funny (and offensive).

He's one of the funniest guys to go drinking with and if anyone gets the chance to go round a few bars with him, take it because I guarantee you'll have a great night out.

I wonder what the "Woke warriors" these days would make of "Derek and Clive".

Edited by Butch

1 hour ago, Butch said:

If any BM's have ever met @Nightcrawleryou will understand he is very similar to Peter Cook in the way he speaks and arguably just as funny (and offensive).

He's one of the funniest guys to go drinking with and if anyone gets the chance to go round a few bars with him, take it because I guarantee you'll have a great night out.

He kept dragging to these fallen women refuges where we should make donations so the pretty ones could buy some underwear 

2 hours ago, Butch said:

Ahhh, Pete and Dud, a British institution. Peter Cook was one of my all time favourite satirical comedians. 

Thanks for the compliment, we sure have had some laughs, and you are the perfect wing man in Pattaya as we have a very similar, often dark, cynical and usually vulgar sense of humour. 

You have yet to see my caring, sensitive side😁😁

I am watching Eurovision Song contest and absolutely pissing myself with laughter, it's so embarrassingly awful.

Most of the Artists should be lined up against a wall and shot for their crimes against music. Moldova, what the f*ck😁😁

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Butch said:

I was in RAF Germany when Derek & Clive Live first came out so I asked my mother to buy it for me & post it out.

Mother was a traffic warden back in the days when they were based in the local police station & in the canteen she borrowed a cassette player & put it on.

She was very embarrassed😂.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

Ahhh, Pete and Dud, a British institution. Peter Cook was one of my all time favourite satirical comedians. 

Thanks for the compliment, we sure have had some laughs, and you are the perfect wing man in Pattaya as we have a very similar, often dark, cynical and usually vulgar sense of humour. 

You have yet to see my caring, sensitive side😁😁

I am watching Eurovision Song contest and absolutely pissing myself with laughter, it's so embarrassingly awful.

Most of the Artists should be lined up against a wall and shot for their crimes against music. Moldova, what the f*ck😁😁

I'd like to do something against the wall to the Spanish entrant,talk about smoking hot!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, coxyhog said:

I'd like to do something against the wall to the Spanish entrant,talk about smoking hot!

Snap. I was thinking exactly the same. I was tempted to crack one off over her. 

The results will all be political of course and Ukraine will probably win. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, forqalso said:

2DC5B9D0-26D6-4C9B-BB77-56DEA712E98C.jpeg

George Carlin being arrested in 1972 for performing his 7 dirty words routine. 

That was at Milwaukee's Summerfest annual music festival. Milwaukee is where I lived most of my life and that arrest was an embarrassment for most of us. The problem was at the time we had an ultra conservative police chief, Chief Breier, who had pretty much free reign to do as he pleased and the arrest of Carlin was just one of many examples of him using the law to impose his own morals. Happy Days (pun intended) when he retired in 1984 with the parting words "there are going to be some changes which I will have no part of".

Milwaukee police chief controversy began back in Breier era

Edited by forcebwithu

A guy I knew from our ski/camping club used to do a an almost as good imitation of Mark Twain as Hal Holbrook. Highlight of some the camping trips is when he would come out of his tent in his Mark Twain garb and entertain us for half an hour or so around the campfire with Mark Twain quips and quotes.

Edited by forcebwithu