Tree Town Stabbing

Glasseye

Not a great look for the "New Neighborhood" at the beginning of the New Year.....

https://thepattayanews.com/2022/01/03/one-person-dead-several-injured-and-flee-after-violent-brawl-at-tree-town-market-area-say-pattaya-police/

One person dead, several injured and flee after violent brawl at Tree Town market area, say Pattaya Police

By
 Adam Judd
 -
murdertreetown-696x522.jpg

Pattaya, Thailand-

One man is dead this morning and at least two other men suffered injuries during what Pattaya Police described as a “violent brawl” in the Tree Town Market area of Central Pattaya off of Soi Buakhao last night, January 2nd, 2022.

The incident took place around 10:00 P.M. at Tree Town market and was responded to by Lt. Col Krikrit Saiwana, Deputy Superintendent of the Pattaya City Police, and his team after notification from Covid-19 testers who had witnessed the incident.

Along with TPN media and Sawang Boriboon rescue workers, teams arrived at the scene quickly to find 54-year-old Narawit Pongsungnoen lying on the ground seriously injured and bleeding heavily due to stab wounds from a sharp object. Some witnesses described the weapon utilized as a long knife or a machete to Lt. Col Krikrit, although the exact device was not identified by police immediately.

Mr. Narawit was rushed to a local hospital after emergency first aid was used at the scene of the incident but was pronounced dead upon arrival by medical staff and Sawang Boriboon rescue workers.

murder2.jpg

According to the Covid-19 testing team, whose names were withheld by police due to the nature of their work, several members had witnessed the entire incident as it took place nearly directly in front of their testing station. The team was present for free courtesy checks with rapid antigen test kits for patrons and staff of nearby restaurants that sell alcohol. This stems from a recent order from the Chonburi governor, as seen here, that we covered yesterday.

The Covid-19 testing team told Lt. Col Krikrit that the incident stemmed from a group of several men, as many as seven, who were arguing heatedly that escalated into a physical brawl directly in front of dozens of shocked tourists and visitors to nearby venues. The victim, Mr. Narawit, became wounded in the original brawl and attempted to flee but according to the witnesses from the testing team, he fell near their booth and was brutally attacked by several men while lying on the ground. The attack reportedly included kicking the victim in the face, stomping him, and stabbing him with a sharp blade in the chest.

After the incident, the other men involved, believed to be Thai nationals according to the witnesses, fled the scene. Witnesses from the Covid testing team stated to Lt. Col Krikrit that at least two of the other men involved appeared to have suffered injuries as well.

Lt. Col Krikrit stated his team is looking into the motive behind the incident, noting that it appeared based on early information gathered by Pattaya Police that the group of men specifically arranged to meet to discuss a possible business dispute prior to the physical confrontation and escalation. CCTV will be reviewed both in the area of the incident and on the escape route of the other men involved while Pattaya Police work to capture the suspects involved in the brawl.

Lt. Col Krikrit stated that the incident hurt the image of Pattaya as a safe family tourism destination and was a top priority for police to resolve the situation.

TPN media will provide more updates as they are released by Pattaya Police as part of their investigation as this is a still-developing story.

Agreed, not a good look for Pattaya at the beginning of the year but as most tourists are not coming anyway due to the bigger issue of Covid I expect that those of us who would be happy to get on a plane if we could would still travel.

It was Thai on Thai and their choice of venue and location was just unfortunate but the tourist office have got bigger issues to worry about than this.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

Agreed, not a good look for Pattaya at the beginning of the year but as most tourists are not coming anyway due to the bigger issue of Covid I expect that those of us who would be happy to get on a plane if we could would still travel.

It was Thai on Thai and their choice of venue and location was just unfortunate but the tourist office have got bigger issues to worry about than this.

I agree with all that you are saying.

At the same time. There are several new businesses trying to get established currently at that location. Some of them pouring significant $$$ into their places. The last thing they need is a group of Thai "business" owners beating the shit and stabbing each other right in front of their new bar that they just sank thousands of baht into.

Whether someone wants to be there or not (which I am sure several in here would enjoy a night out there, or even a few dozen nights....), it still leaves a big impression that perhaps they may consider going somewhere else - whether or not those choosing to stab each other are Thai or Farang.

Sure, the Thai tourist officials do have plenty to worry about, but so do the farangs there now who were lucky enough to get in, or for those trying their best to get there. Last thing I want to worry about when enjoying myself with a few cold ones is stepping out into the middle of a massive brawl. I'm getting too old for that shit.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Glasseye said:

At the same time. There are several new businesses trying to get established currently at that location. Some of them pouring significant $$$ into their places. The last thing they need is a group of Thai "business" owners beating the shit and stabbing each other right in front of their new bar that they just sank thousands of baht into.

Whether someone wants to be there or not (which I am sure several in here would enjoy a night out there, or even a few dozen nights....), it still leaves a big impression that perhaps they may consider going somewhere else - whether or not those choosing to stab each other are Thai or Farang.

Sure, the Thai tourist officials do have plenty to worry about, but so do the farangs there now who were lucky enough to get in, or for those trying their best to get there. Last thing I want to worry about when enjoying myself with a few cold ones is stepping out into the middle of a massive brawl. I'm getting too old for that shit.

You of course are correct;  I was concerned with tourists which the original story decided would be affected by the bad press but of course no businesses situated nearby will benefit from this local negative story.

7 hours ago, Glasseye said:

The business owners, if you can even call them that, were two groups competing for security business. From a follow up news report...

The exact motive behind the disagreement is still being investigated, Pattaya Police added, although appeared to have stemmed from a dispute about business relating to employment for security work for local businesses. The two groups who had a dispute agreed to meet in the central part of Tree Town for a discussion about the problem, but the situation escalated into personal threats against individuals’ families and then into physical violence.

https://thepattayanews.com/2022/01/04/update-three-major-suspects-involved-in-a-violent-brawl-in-the-tree-town-market-area-of-central-pattaya-that-left-one-person-dead-arrested

20 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

The business owners, if you can even call them that, were two groups competing for security business. From a follow up news report...

The exact motive behind the disagreement is still being investigated, Pattaya Police added, although appeared to have stemmed from a dispute about business relating to employment for security work for local businesses.

Is "security work for local business" a euphemism for protection money I wonder?

Would make sense if it was a territory dispute that got out of hand.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

6 hours ago, Jambo said:

Is "security work for local business" a euphemism for protection money I wonder?

Would make sense if it was a territory dispute that got out of hand.

Wouldn't have happened in Secrets back in the day. Territory all clearly marked out ..... 

On 1/6/2022 at 2:01 PM, john1000 said:

Its another symptom of just how desperate the Thais are to earn a living again. Problem, this scenario always prevails under such circumstances.

RIP to the victim.

And a big reason why now for those who travel there (and just about anywhere now a days) needs to extra careful about getting ripped off. People are desperate, things aren't the same economically and won't be for a long time.

People are much more subject to being pick pocketed, set-up. and/or drugged.

Don't ever let your guard down during these times, and recognize that farangs are a juicy target now.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Glasseye said:

And a big reason why now for those who travel there (and just about anywhere now a days) needs to extra careful about getting ripped off. People are desperate, things aren't the same economically and won't be for a long time.

People are much more subject to being pick pocketed, set-up. and/or drugged.

Don't ever let your guard down during these times, and recognize that farangs are a juicy target now.

Yeah, I have to admit that this thought has crossed my mind as well - one of the things that kept me going back to Thailand every winter was the fact that it was so safe there - I could walk around just about anywhere at any time and not worry about being mugged - I do hope this doesn't change but given the present situation I would tend to be extra careful.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, maipenrai said:

Yeah, I have to admit that this thought has crossed my mind as well - one of the things that kept me going back to Thailand every winter was the fact that it was so safe there - I could walk around just about anywhere at any time and not worry about being mugged - I do hope this doesn't change but given the present situation I would tend to be extra careful.

Walking around the central Pattaya area at night I can't say I've noticed any increase in tension or animosity. I imagine it might be a different story in the wee hours of the morning when everything is closed up and very few people about, but I think that was true even in the better times.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1