New Isaan Restaurant

cartoonman

I had Tom Yum Soup at the New Restaurant in town - I've eaten Thai food for 39 Years - All I can say is at 4-30 in the morning I woke up shivering - shaking with icy cold - ran to the toilet and exploded BOTH ENDS.....I won't be going back there to eat again !!!!!    Sorry Didn't take any Photo`s.

• Sad 1

I once spent three nights at a farm in Issan with Lek, aka "The Knife Fighter" after she tried to stab me.

Having been warned how disgusting the Issan diet was I started swallowing imodium two days before arrival and throughout my stay. That was as much prompted by the message I received from Lek stating "Papa make new toilet". I had visions of some trench behind the house and not the new shower room with brand new flush toilet.

The bottom line ( no pun intended) was that the Issan diet was even worse than I thought, I stopped counting mozzie bites at 100 and thanks to the imodium it was about a week before I could do a dump.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jambo said:

I once spent three nights at a farm in Issan with Lek, aka "The Knife Fighter" after she tried to stab me.

Having been warned how disgusting the Issan diet was I started swallowing imodium two days before arrival and throughout my stay. That was as much prompted by the message I received from Lek stating "Papa make new toilet". I had visions of some trench behind the house and not the new shower room with brand new flush toilet.

The bottom line ( no pun intended) was that the Issan diet was even worse than I thought, I stopped counting mozzie bites at 100 and thanks to the imodium it was about a week before I could do a dump.

Easier to just live on 7/11 ham and cheese toasties for a few days when visiting.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Having a wife from Isaan means I get to eat a lot of that style of food; a lot of it I can stomach but quite a lot is just not to my fancy. I certainly could not eat it as my main staple diet.

As an aside my wife ate an Isaan style mushroom dish yesterday morning which took 15 minutes to send her to the bathroom to vomit and for the last 24 hours she has been ejecting stuff from both ends. I told her not to eat the food as her friend had brought the dish down from her home up the valley where she had foraged for wild mushrooms. I said to my wife that this was a no no but she still ate the mushroom dish, she has now vowed to never eat a mushroom again and she loves mushrooms. The style of mushroom was of the Boletes group but she believes did have some red colour which is a bad sign. After reading about mushroom poisoning I am glad that my wife has not been sent to hospital although ironically she is working in the hospital right now.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Sangsom said:

Easier to just live on 7/11 ham and cheese toasties for a few days when visiting.

The farm was in the back of beyond.

I had no transport as we flew to Khon Kaen and a relation met us at the airport.

All the mothers in the village came to meet the farlang the first evening. Two of them gave me photos of their teenage daughters so that I could find them a farlang boyfriend. I was assured they were both "good girls". 

There were Buffalo mored up under the house who made a terrible racket until they were let out in the morning. They took one look at me and ran off. Never seen a farlang. 😁

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

Having a wife from Isaan means I get to eat a lot of that style of food; a lot of it I can stomach but quite a lot is just not to my fancy. I certainly could not eat it as my main staple diet.

As an aside my wife ate an Isaan style mushroom dish yesterday morning which took 15 minutes to send her to the bathroom to vomit and for the last 24 hours she has been ejecting stuff from both ends. I told her not to eat the food as her friend had brought the dish down from her home up the valley where she had foraged for wild mushrooms. I said to my wife that this was a no no but she still ate the mushroom dish, she has now vowed to never eat a mushroom again and she loves mushrooms. The style of mushroom was of the Boletes group but she believes did have some red colour which is a bad sign. After reading about mushroom poisoning I am glad that my wife has not been sent to hospital although ironically she is working in the hospital right now.

I rest my case!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

I struggle to eat much if any of it, it’s either caked with pla ra or sour as fk or both! Don’t get me started on the random body parts of animals they eat also 😝

Doesnt even feel like Thai food, it’s a whole cuisine in itself 😝

• Sad 1

34 minutes ago, Jambo said:

There were Buffalo mored up under the house who made a terrible racket until they were let out in the morning. They took one look at me and ran off. Never seen a farlang. 😁

You didn't happen to get 'involved' with any qwai while on your sojourn by any chance..?

😁

7095535437_90ebfe7b58_c.jpg

• Haha 1

Yep.... they have an issues with milk. That's for sure.

Once had a girl who was complaining of heartburn. At the time I didn't have anything around other than milk (which I thought might at least temporaily coat her stomach). She puked that up within minutes....

Thing about getting the shits..... That comes with unfamiliar bacteria. Once you are living somewhere for a while your body adapts. I used to get the shits all the time in LOS on short visits. When I was there for a long period of time I never got the shits. Shitted just like normal.

In fact, I probably get the shits more back here in the U.S, then I did in Thailand.

1 hour ago, cartoonman said:

I had Tom Yum Soup at the New Restaurant in town - I've eaten Thai food for 39 Years - All I can say is at 4-30 in the morning I woke up shivering - shaking with icy cold - ran to the toilet and exploded BOTH ENDS.....I won't be going back there to eat again !!!!!    Sorry Didn't take any Photo`s.

What is the name of the place that gave you food poisoning?

After 39 years surely it has nothing to do with the food but more to do with their food preparation.

Name and shame!

A lot of the stuff my in-laws eat in Korat I won't touch,although I do eat some of it.Never had the screamers up there though.

The only times I've had them in Thailand have been after eating in Walking Street seafood restaurants and once from a Denmark Hamburger stall.Now if I want seafood in Pattaya it's trip down to Preecha(hope it's still going post Covid)at least you know it's fresh there.

In 1992 before I got into Thai food we stayed with a mates wife just outside of Chiang Rai for a week or so.Luckily she kept chickens & I lived on egg butties for the duration.

2 hours ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

Not for the first time I think that Cartoonman is a tosser though.

Yea !!! It`s not many times in your life you know a simple guy who has been given a talent to make MOST people Smile - He has been Lucky with the sales of his Cartoons and Books to be able to give One and a Half Million Baht to The Pattaya Orphanage - but in your Sad 'Piss-taking' Life without really knowing him - you call him a tosser...  Thank you very much.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Horizondave said:

Even in the uk they want to go mushroom picking because ‘it’s free food’.  Really for what it costs it’s just too risky as we have a lot of poisonous mushrooms here and it’s nearly impossible to tell the good from the bad. They should just stick to what can be bought in the supermarket. A child actually died a few months back in England from eating wild mushrooms 😒

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Sangsom said:

Even in the uk they want to go mushroom picking because ‘it’s free food’.  Really for what it costs it’s just too risky as we have a lot of poisonous mushrooms here and it’s nearly impossible to tell the good from the bad. They should just stick to what can be bought in the supermarket. A child actually died a few months back in England from eating wild mushrooms 😒

Really is mind boggling sometimes.... the stupidity of it all. I can often buy a pint of mushrooms for $1.

:default_crazy:

10 hours ago, Jambo said:

A warning about taking Imodium as a prophylactic against diarrhea. When you ingest something your body recognizes as not good for you and starts the process of ejecting the offending food from both ends, that's the body's natural defense to rid itself of the bad food. Imodium, as it's designed to do, interferes with that process and can make a short term, uncomfortable situation much worse. Best advice is to wait one or two days before starting a course of Imodium to relieve the symptoms. By then your body should have had time to rid itself of the toxins.

• Great Info 3
  • Thumbs Up 4

50 minutes ago, Sangsom said:

In North America the majority of wild mushroom poisonings occur in the SE Asian community. Similar looking species...but not the same same.

Revealed: The Reason Southeast Asians Are Disproportionately Poisoned by Consuming Wild Amanita Mushrooms in North America

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/291345438_Revealed_The_Reason_Southeast_Asians_Are_Disproportionately_Poisoned_by_Consuming_Wild_Amanita_Mushrooms_in_North_America

... there have been innumerable cases of immigrants coming to North America and made ill (or worse) as a result of consuming wild mushrooms that were collected because they looked like the ones routinely picked back in “the old country.” Southeast Asians seem to be reported at a disproportionately high rate in poisoning cases, with one group in particular affected: Hmong people...

14 hours ago, coxyhog said:

A lot of the stuff my in-laws eat in Korat I won't touch,although I do eat some of it.Never had the screamers up there though.

The only times I've had them in Thailand have been after eating in Walking Street seafood restaurants and once from a Denmark Hamburger stall.Now if I want seafood in Pattaya it's trip down to Preecha(hope it's still going post Covid)at least you know it's fresh there.

In 1992 before I got into Thai food we stayed with a mates wife just outside of Chiang Rai for a week or so.Luckily she kept chickens & I lived on egg butties for the duration.

Me too!

Three times full blown food poisoning, twice from stupidly eating seafood on Jomtien beach and by far the worst from The Lobster Pot in Walking Street. The BPH told me I was 24 hours from likely death from toxic shot.

• Sad 1
  • Surprised 1

2 hours ago, Jambo said:

Me too!

Three times full blown food poisoning, twice from stupidly eating seafood on Jomtien beach and by far the worst from The Lobster Pot in Walking Street. The BPH told me I was 24 hours from likely death from toxic shot.

At Preecha everything is kept in holding tanks,so it's alive when you get there.

Great place.

10 hours ago, Sangsom said:

Told my wife not to eat them but I am just a husband. As you know if another Thai tells them it's ok then that voice matters.

We are now sitting in A and E awaiting blood tests, ECG and other tests for toxicology, that is the result of a poor decision.

She won't be making bad decisions again hopefully.