Keto and/or Atkins Diet

Glasseye

Back in 2012 following my retirement (2010) is when I made my last previous "big move" (from Illinois to North Carolina). 

When I got settled I made some big decisions. The biggest one (positive) I made was to lose weight. It was something I never really had issues with until my late 40's when I started to "pack it on" (beer gut, shoulder issues, and the depression that goes with all of it). I was at 220 pounds (for me that was fat ass).

I decided to do the Atkins diet, sort of. It worked but took about 1 year, I lost 40 pounds. I have been able to keep it off, that is..... until this past year which I have seemed to put most of it back on.

Recently I have toyed with the idea of losing it again, but kept putting it off. Today is the day though that the new push is going to start.

I am going through all my carb related shit and throwing it out (painful at times, but has to be done). Then I am heading to Trader Joe's and stocking up on fish, cheese, veggie frozen foods, eggs. etc. I think once I get through the next couple days of "transition" things will fall into place. I have the knowledge on how to do it, and the confidence knowing I can since I have done it once before. Now is the time, no more fucking excuses. The hardest thing I think will be letting go of the brews. I think I will switch to vino and keep that to a minimum 2 glasses before bed.

This recent bout of sciatica has got me a little shaken. I don't want this to get any worse as I enjoy my walks too much, and don't want to spend to rest of my life limping around. 

Time to git er done.....

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, Glasseye said:

Back in 2012 following my retirement (2010) is when I made my last previous "big move" (from Illinois to North Carolina). 

When I got settled I made some big decisions. The biggest one (positive) I made was to lose weight. It was something I never really had issues with until my late 40's when I started to "pack it on" (beer gut, shoulder issues, and the depression that goes with all of it). I was at 220 pounds (for me that was fat ass).

I decided to do the Atkins diet, sort of. It worked but took about 1 year, I lost 40 pounds. I have been able to keep it off, that is..... until this past year which I have seemed to put most of it back on.

Recently I have toyed with the idea of losing it again, but kept putting it off. Today is the day though that the new push is going to start.

I am going through all my carb related shit and throwing it out (painful at times, but has to be done). Then I am heading to Trader Joe's and stocking up on fish, cheese, veggie frozen foods, eggs. etc. I think once I get through the next couple days of "transition" things will fall into place. I have the knowledge on how to do it, and the confidence knowing I can since I have done it once before. Now is the time, no more fucking excuses. The hardest thing I think will be letting go of the brews. I think I will switch to vino and keep that to a minimum 2 glasses before bed.

This recent bout of sciatica has got me a little shaken. I don't want this to get any worse as I enjoy my walks too much, and don't want to spend to rest of my life limping around. 

Time to git er done.....

Being a fat prick that has lost 33 kilograms in the past 6 months I believe the majority of my weight loss was down to giving up the beer. Probably used to drink 2.5 litres on beer most days and then maybe 5 litres on Fridays and Saturdays. I now drink vodka and soda water. Also nearly every meal included either rice or pasta which I have stopped eating.

Good luck on your weight loss.

Edited by thegrogmonster

9 minutes ago, thegrogmonster said:

Being a fat prick that has lost 33 kilograms in the past 6 months I believe the majority of my weight loss was down to giving up the beer. Probably used to drink 2.5 litres on beer most days and then maybe 5 litres on Fridays and Saturdays. I now drink vodka and soda water. Also nearly every meal included either rice or pasta which I have stopped eating.

Good luck on your weight loss.

Yep..... When you add up the numbers of calories (not even mentioning the carbs).... when you knock off the beer that reduces your daily intake by at least 600 calories/day (minimum). That adds up big time over a course of a few weeks.

👍

• Thumbs Up 1

As someone who has been severely overweight the last 15 years or so, I know the struggle. What I’ve learned recently, is while some diets like KETO are generally popular, every single person’s weight issues are different- male/female, 25 years old vs 65, 25 pounds to lose or 150……everyone case is unique. And what worked for the same person at a younger age, is probably not the best approach in later years. 

At the turn of the millenium, the EAS supplement company was huge- they had a 12 week Body4Life contest that emphasized a routine of 3 days of weights, 3 mornings fasted cardio, Sunday cheat meal, and 6 meals/day protein/carbs. It worked awesome, I was 24 and quickly went from 235 to about 199 and 14% bodyfat, only to abruptly give it up once I met my Pinay and got engaged. But 24, eating perfectly, working demanding warehouse job, and with MAX 40 pounds to lose……it was pretty easy. Now 45, all time high was 339 with likely less muscle mass, even if gyms were open, I doubt I’d repeat that routine. 

KETO(steak/eggs) worked well this past year, but I gain like 8 pounds the first day I ingest carbs. What’s working for me now is fasting. I reached 296 after maybe 4 fasting days in December, and already back to 297 my 1st day after 2 weeks of inactivity and pigging out. I feel the effects last longer than a low carb diet. And I eat whatever I want, no depriving myself of pizza/pasta/rice. 

Other than fasting, I would agree too many beers will stall your progress, lots of calories. And weather permitting, try for your 10,000 steps daily……that’s where I’m failing now, I’m closer to 1K with the cold snaps. Final thing, Rome wasn’t built in a day, I am simply trying to constantly set a new bar. Next is 133KG, then 132, etc…..If we keep shaving a pound off, we WILL get there 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1