2022 Winter Olympics

forcebwithu

Not surprising there doesn't seem to be a lot of interest in the Winter Olympics this year. This article had a few pictures that makes me question the sanity of the International Olympic Committee for agreeing to let Beijing host the games. Far from the most picturesque setting for winter games; butt ugly comes to mind.

The bleak, snowless landscape (apart from the fake stuff) that begs the question: Why HAS the Winter Olympics gone to Beijing?

The National Ski Jumping Centre, a venue of the Beijing 2022 Winter Olympics, in Zhangjiakou, Hebei province, China pictured in November last year

Yanqing Alpine Skiing Centre, roughly 50 miles north-west of the capital, Beijing, earlier this month. The venue had just 2cm of snow between January and March last year

Snow guns pictured at Big Air Shougang, a competition venue for freestyle skiing and snowboard at this year's Winter Olympics, last month

A snow gun works its magic at Genting Snow Park in preparation for the Beijing 2022 Winter Olympics at venues in Zhangjiakou, Hebei province, last month

Big Air Shougang, a competition venue for freestyle skiing and snowboarding in this year's Winter Olympics, is pictured in Beijing earlier this month

• Sad 1
  • Surprised 1

Its all been downhill since  "Eddie The Eagle" made the winter Olympics remotely interesting for most Brits.

I was however inspired by that wee girl who won a gold medal by defying  gravity on a skateboard by taking a mental note to check if there was something similar on snow in the Olympics.

On the other hand I doubt if I will bother.

Part of the reason why they're locking cities of millions of people down for 1 positive Covid test.

Bad enough the World already blames them for this debacle, but if they couldn't get a grip of it and it destroyed their Winter Olympics as well ...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, forcebwithu said:

It's inevitable that even though vaccinated it's almost guaranteed there will be Olympic athletes that will test positive. With China's zero China virus policy it will be interesting to watch the sideshow of them locking up athletes for days on end.

They have plenty of places to lock them up I'm sure

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, galenkia said:

Do like some of the events, especially ski jumping, bobsleigh, down hill skiing and speed skating. 

Not so keen on figure skating and snow boarding though. 

The snow board racing is brilliant, heats of four 

still remember my first time watching an HD tv during the Winter Olympics, was blown away by the picture quality / scenery 

It’s a shame, but I agree interest is very low for this year, myself included. There are just other things going on that are more important. And with the best hockey players not going over, my country’s biggest sport will not be an attraction. 

Oh well, in 4 years time, maybe things will be more normal….

• Like 1

On 1/17/2022 at 4:20 PM, galenkia said:

Do like some of the events, especially ski jumping, bobsleigh, down hill skiing and speed skating. 

The results for speed skating might be interesting, if I remember correctly, the Dutch won't be competing.

• 2 weeks later...

Really enjoyed watching the ladies “Big Air” freestyle skiing just now. It was the best 2 out of 3 jumps, so an athlete “going for broke” was not punished for a fall on the last jump, and could really only improve on her chance at a medal. 

So the Scottish girl Muir 🇬🇧knew she had 5th locked up, and attempted a tough jump to snag a bronze….but landed hard on her butt, surprised she didn’t break something. Then the Canadian should have done the same, nothing to lose…instead she landed a perfect jump, but that wasn’t  too difficult, staying 4th and off the podium. 

In the end, the Bay Area girl who defected back to China, Eileen Gu, improved to the Gold. I think she will now be an endorsement machine, in maybe the 2 biggest economies in the world…..many millions of $ coming her way…..

2B017423-937E-4D11-92F0-970080181D51.jpeg

4E6302CA-1014-4FDD-B3D2-13F9E850019D.jpeg

Edited by Golfingboy

1 hour ago, Golfingboy said:

In the end, the Bay Area girl who defected back to China, Eileen Gu, improved to the Gold. I think she will now be an endorsement machine

She already is...prior to the Games...now even more so. https://www.instagram.com/eileen_gu_

Red Bull, Louis Vuitton, Victoria's Secret, Beats, Tiffany's, IWC Watches & a lot more.

"Gu has more than 20 sponsorship deals in China alone, according to Campaign Asia."

Some experts estimated her earnings from brand sponsorships in 2021 alone to be worth more than 100 million Chinese yuan, or about $15.8 million, said the report.

https://www.insider.com/eileen-gu-olympian-chose-china-over-us-skiing-modeling-2022-2#as-her-popularity-grows-so-do-her-endorsements-gu-has-more-than-20-sponsorship-deals-in-china-alone-according-to-campaign-asia-3

On a down note... Fox News Corp is all over her ass...

Eileen Gu's sponsors show 'the corrupt and weak corporations of America': Cain

https://www.foxnews.com/media/eileen-gu-ski-us-china-corruption-citizenship

The real multimillion-dollar reason Olympic star turned back on the US for China

https://www.foxsports.com.au/beijing-olympics-2022/the-real-multimilliondollar-reason-olympic-star-turned-back-on-the-us-for-china/news-story/d5c925aac24e4a9f1f31ab6949c5df45

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------121821.JPG

Capture.JPG

Edited by lazarus
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Info 1

@lazarusOnce again you fail to disappoint…..I knew her Instagram was getting there with some sponsorships, but I guess she was bigger than I thought…..

But a gold medal surely doesn’t hurt…Funny thing is, if I had to guess blindly, with the ski outfit, I’d peg her more as a Scandinavian than Asian…..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1